Experiences with OryCon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
The priority registration deadline for OryCon 32 is coming up, but I'm still deciding whether to spend $45 on it. It sounds like a rather small convention, and they don't have a list of panels up yet. Has anyone here gone before, and would you recommend it for an aspiring SF/F author?

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
I've been to about 6 different sci-fi conventions and OryCon was my second favorite (after NorwesCon in Seattle.)

When I went, it was too late for me to submit a story sample for the writer's workshop, but they have ORCs (Open Reading Critique) on two nights where you can bring a portion of what you're working on and get some immediate feedback. I found it very useful and encouraging. http://www.orycon.org/orycon32/writers/orc.php

I went specifically as an aspiring SF/F author, not a fan, and I found it worthwhile. If you can afford it, I'd suggest going at least once, checking out the ORCs and seeing what you think for yourself.

plunderpuss

Patron Saint of Sarcasm
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkshark.net
Ditto on Kat. I've never gone myself, but several of my friends go every year, a mixture of pros and novices. Oregon has a strangely dense population of SF authors. Even if they're not listed as guests, there will be plenty of pros to learn from, even if it's just overhearing them or meeting them in the bar. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.