Anime Screenshot guessing Thread.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, we absolute need one of these. Well, we also need a Movie screenshot guessing thread, but i didn't want to start two at once. And imo, guessing anime screenshots is easier. Which means, yep, i've admitted it, i watch plenty of anime (guilty pleasure). Although it's probably more accurate to say i watch anything if it's SF, and almost anything if it's F. (which already is a tip about what kind of screenshots i can post)
Maybe this belongs in the games subforum (since it's a game) but i thought i'd try it here first where all the videophiles hang out. ;) So i hope it's not too unwelcome and won't get booted down there. :tongue:

Anyway, rules are simple:
1. Post a screenshot. Pick a nice one. Not a mugshot of the main character, but not exactly half a pixel out of the background of a 3-second scene either.
2. Anyone with an idea what it is can post a guess. If someone above you already guessed, but you think it's something else, feel free to post your guess without waiting for an answer first.
3. If no-one guessed correctly for a day (or a lot of people guessed wrongly, use your own judgement) post another screenshot. Up to three screenshot (and thus three days) per series. Make them progressively easier if possible. Maybe a minor recurring character or memorable scenery for the first, and a main character for the third.
4. If someone guessed correctly (and got confirmation) they're next up to post a screenshot or declare an open round. If the series hasn't been identified after the third screenshot has been up for a day, the next round is also up for grabs. Although it would still be nice to hear the solution. ;)
Addendum: 6. If you guess correctly but aren't available at least once a day for the next three days, please declare an open round. If no new pictures or updates come for two days or more, it's an open round, so the game doesn't stall.

Technical Help:
I suggest using Imageshack: http://imageshack.us/ as a host. Upload the image and then copy the line of code in the "Forum Thumbnail" box into your post. The thumbnail will help keep the bandwidth use for viewing this thread down, but you can view the image in full size by clicking on it.
Hint: Check the filename of the image before you upload it, or you could make it very easy to solve. ;)

Entries so far:
Azumanga Daioh #160
Berserk #250
Black Blood Brothers #265
Black Lagoon #197
Blood+ #105
Blue Gender #305
Daishizen no Majuu Bagi #296
Darker Thank Black #217
Demon City Shinjuku #53
Devil May Cry #111
Durarara!! #227
Ef ~ A Tale of Memories #165
Elfen Lied #81
Ergo Proxy #86
Get Backers #66
GitS Stan Alone Complex #61
Haibane Renmei #30
High School of the Dead #220
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni #330
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor #69
Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai #355
Koukaku no Regios #292
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki #335
Madlax #176
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha #145
Metropolis #117
Mōryō no Hako #23
Mushishi #18
Nana #37
Night Wizard #92
Noir #155
Outlaw Star #50
Paranoia Agent #102
Red Garden #130
Revolutionary Girl Utena #76
Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei #211
Sentou Yosei Yukikaze #02
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin #122
Seirei no Moribito #258
Shigofumi #344
Shuffle! #286
Shura no Toki #314
Speed Grapher #239
Spice and Wolf #188
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (2009) #15
Tokkou #205
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou Tou #255
Trigun #280
True Tears #324
The Twelve Kingdoms #89
Witch Hunter Robin #98

Last edited:

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt that a free image uploading service will mind. It's kinda what they're for. ;)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's not so good on this end either, the more images that are linked like that the slower this place gets.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Suggestion: post the link to the pic.

I haven't been in touch with my anime side lately, it always happens when I get done watching a bad anime series. *cough* Le chevalier D'Eon *cough*

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
For point of info, hot-linked images are a no-no. Too much bandwidth for the source.

It's not so good on this end either, the more images that are linked like that the slower this place gets.

I doubt that a free image uploading service will mind. It's kinda what they're for. ;)

Aye. If it's uploaded to an image hosting site, it should be fine.

I have plenty of anime screenshot ideas to unload, but unfortunately, I don't think I'd seen this one. Raxhephon, maybe?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know which it is, but based on the style of animation I would say it's pretty recent, almost definitely post-2000.

I'd also say that it's a fair guess that it involves mecha, it's a rare anime that has simply aerial battle with no mecha element. Although it could be a space battle that's partly moved into a planet's atmosphere. It reminds me of Tytania, but that took place in outer space from what I remember, it's been awhile.

I do wonder about the green tint though, seems kind of strange.

Last edited:

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That's why i suggested using the Thumbnail link instead of a full embedded picture. Thumbnails like that are smaller than many forum avatars, so there'd be no problem.
<snip>Raxhephon, maybe?
Nope.
I don't know which it is, but based on the style of animation I would say it's pretty recent, almost definitely post-2000.

I'd also say that it's a fair guess that it involves mecha, it's a rare anime that has simply aerial battle with no mecha element.
Nope, guess wrong too. (although it's technically not a proper guess ;))
Anyway i'll post the next picture a bit later, am not posting from my own machine right now.

Edit:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
'Nope' to what?
Ah, maybe should have clarified. No Mecha. I'm not sure how old. Not a lot of guesses, so i'll just post the pic right now and solve tonight (assuming no-one recognizes it)

edit: there it is.

Last edited:

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, i'm really surprised no-one has seen this one. It's Yukikaze. (戦闘妖精・雪風)
Definitly worth checking out, and it's short anyway.
So, next round is up for grabs.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So, next round is up for grabs.

Mine!

anime-screenshot-1.png

Pretty popular right now.

:D

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Haruhi Suzumiya, second season. Any one of eight nearly identical episodes. It's a summer job. (I know I've seen that; that's my best guess.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Haruhi Suzumiya, second season. Any one of eight nearly identical episodes. It's a summer job. (I know I've seen that; that's my best guess.)

You win! It's from the third iteration, but like you'd be able to tell that. :tongue

Your turn. :D

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
It's from the third iteration, but like you'd be able to tell that. :tongue

Heh, it'd be easier to remember who's who in that picture...

There are people here who should know this one. It's been recommended to me on this site. :)

link
Mushishi

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
For the record, you guys are fine as long as you're not hotlinking to sites that we're going to be costing extra bandwidth -- sites like flickr, photobucket, or your own domains are fine.

For the sake of our people on slow pipes, please keep the image sizes within a reasonable vicinity of about 500x500 px or smaller.

cheers!

Last edited: