I reckon I am destined to always write humor/humour ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWolf

Let yer tongue hang out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyofsmith.com
I say this, because my published novel is just that: a comedy (although, I suppose I should really say, 'comedic', because you can't have a comedy novel, can you?).

I have also almost finished one of those small pocket book things, you see going for a couple of pounds/dollars/euros near cash registers the World-over.

And now, after personally speaking with an established author who has carved his name out as the definitive authority of the history of Manchester City football club, I have begun to write an alternative history, but tongue firmly planted in cheek. This was after he had read some of what I had previously done on this subject, and told me to go for it, as it was factually true (well, most of it LOL), but very funny at the same time.

I say all this, because I have always had this idea for a novel in the back of my head, which is dark, creepy and foreboding, but I really do not think I could pull it off, because I'd want to inject humour into it, and that would just ruin it completely.

Am I alone in this, or are there others here who feel the same way?

Bombdirt

Professional Content-Writing Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bombdirt.blogspot.com
I know how you feel. I've dabbled in a few different genres, but I feel like my best work is humor-themed. It's also the type of writing from which I get the most enjoyment.
If you've got a good idea for a "dark, creepy and foreboding" novel, I say go for it. You can always inject a little humor into it here and there to counterbalance all the intense, serious stuff. It could work.
Good luck with everything. :)

mostlylegit

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm the same. Writing is still a pretty recent hobby for me, but I started with satire so that's kind of set the tone...

I am working on a script now and am finding it hard to not think of funny things to add to what is primarily not a comedy.

Like Bombdirt says, if you have a good idea then go for it but just be disciplined with the humor.

CorinneMN32

Registered
Reaction score
I understand how you feel, I inject my twisted humor into everything. I've tried to write other genres and it just doesn't make me as happy. Which is, THE MOST important thing. hehe.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Horror and humor are kissing cousins. Horror without humor to lessen the tension means it's harder to build up to new highs, and easy to exhaust your reader by staying on the old one.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
I think any story, however sad or dark, needs at least one moment of humor or lightness.
I'm with the others: if your gut tells you to write funny, stick with that.

L. Grumbling

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a thinkin' go with your dark deal, and why not have one funny character?...or more. Maybe a comedic duo as has become repopularized (?) of late?

Status
Not open for further replies.