New Cap on Gulf Oil Leak - will it hold?

What will the new cap do?

• Do nothing / cause more damage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/13/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1

BP plans to begin testing the new cap on its ruptured deepwater well Tuesday -- a move that officials hope will be a step on the way to stopping oil from gushing into the Gulf of Mexico. "This test involves closing one or more of the valves on the new cap for a period of time to allow BP to measure pressures in the well," retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said.
The process could take anywhere from six hours to two days, or longer if BP extends them.
Officials say several scenarios are possible: the cap could contain all the oil; the cap could contain some of the crude while ships on the water's surface collect the rest; or, under a worst-case scenario, there could be more damage to the well's casing, meaning that capping the well would not stop the oil from flowing.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know enough about it, so I can't offer much of a guess. But I thought most peeps in the know were saying relief wells. No?
My uninformed opinion is that anything short of the relief wells is only temporary (if it works at all).

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Too early to tell... from CTV News, British Columbia-7/13/10:

"Tests of a new cap placed over the leaking oil well in the Gulf of Mexico were expected begin late Tuesday, but it could be as much as 48 hours before BP knows if its latest effort to plug the gusher is working"

"If all goes to plan once the tests start, the cap should be able to capture all of the oil spewing into the Gulf. But it is still meant to be only a temporary fix, since two relief wells are being drilled to permanently seal the well. Those wells could be ready by next month."

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...l-cap-100713/20100713?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
If it's better than the old cap, it's a success. That's the only measure that matters.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
The stars align to say they'll plug that hole July 16th. None too soon, IYAM.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
If it's bad, it's the Presidents fault.

If it works, then clearly the Free Market took control of the situation and got things fixed.
Srsly? A lease written by the government, granting access to government-claimed territory to a government-created legal entity that spends tens of millions every year buying political favoritism? Said lease overseen by government minions who were apparently too busy partying with and in some cases screwing with the members of the organization they were supposed to be regulating to actually perform their jobs?

Where's the "Free Market" in there? Come out, come out, wherever you are!

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No option for "I have no frigging idea"?

I also have no opinion on the best method to remove a brain tumour or to send a rocket into space.

Status
Not open for further replies.