So...what made you decide to write for kids?

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
It wasn't a concious decision, but in hindsight it makes sense. I write what I know, and although I'm almost at 30, I feel I don't yet have enough experience as an adult. I spent most of my adult life learning, and if I know one thing for sure, it is that university lectures make boring stories in fiction.

imsleepy

Registered
Reaction score
That's a really good article, Toothpaste, and I completely agree. I don't write for kids, I write what I love. My stories are only for children in the sense that the main character is 11 years old. I suppose I could write a book for adults, with the same whimsical silliness as I do for children, but most adult readers need a lot more convincing that the world they're escaping into is real. It has to make sense the way the real world does, operate under the same physical laws, and there must be a reason why anything happens. There can't just be an Extremely Ginormous Octopus getting sloshed at the bar, where children will suspend their disbelief a lot further to appreciate a good story.

I don't want to have to explain why the cats in my story are such good pilots. I just want to tell the story.

Becca

Middle-Grade SF Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Writing for kids is more adventurous. They believe anything is possible and haven't been with the "oh, no...sorry" it isn't bat yet. When I write it, I think that it is too. I forget I have laundry and bills and I HAVE to pretend I'm 12 : )