Chapter length for YA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green

Registered
Reaction score
^^Okay, thanks. That's what I figured, but I also know that agents with a knack for editing, and then editors themselves tend to change things. But that seems about right...having definitively marked chapters takes it a step above the draft stage.

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I read in scene and structure you should vary your chapters

Glenakin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
glenakinsays.blogspot.com
Does anyone else write chapters that are wildly inconsistent in length? My second chapter is 22 (Word) pages... and my fifth chapter is 6. haha
Lol you and me both. But I don't have a six paged chapter. I'd be lucky if I had a six paged chapter. Shortest chapter is 16 pages; longest chapter is 24 pages :D

Haha. This reminds me of the Council of Elrond chapter, 100 pages, 20,000 words an nothing freakin happens.
Lol! Ok, that's bad. Something DOES happen in my chapter, at least :)

Akudie

Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere, that readers tend to read more in one sitting if the chapters are short because they have the sensation to progress faster and want to read "one more chapter" before putting the book down.

Personally, I don't like very long chapters (some long books have literally only 3 chapters) but I also don't think 2-3 pages should be a stand alone part. Feels a bit empty. It think longer chapters are ok as Long as they are some kind of scene separation that can be a good stop (Murakami does this a lot).

I am wondering if it is better to mix thing around, or keep a consistent length of all the chapters?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just noting that this thread is 7 years old

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The note was for others who might answer the OP instead of you. I'll separate your post into it's own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.