• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Top Publications, Ltd.

peyton67

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all.
Does anyone know anything about Top Publishing out of Dallas, TX? They are a small independent publisher... They are not listed on P&E and I didn't find anything here when I did a search...

Thanks for your help!

peyton67

Registered
Reaction score
sorry... Yes, that's the one. I can't remember how I found them... could have been Writer's Digest a while ago...

any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jenken

Registered
Reaction score
peyton67 said:
Hi, all.
Does anyone know anything about Top Publishing out of Dallas, TX? They are a small independent publisher... They are not listed on P&E and I didn't find anything here when I did a search...

Thanks for your help!

I just received a rejection from a query I sent them in Feb. They essentially said that they were passing as they are a small outfit that only brings on 1-2 writers a year. They liked my idea, but are already booked for this year. The email was personalized enough that I can believe someone actually wrote, rather than use a template.

Nothing in my (admittedly limited) dealings with them raised a red flag.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*arranges test kit on counter*

Let's see here...current authors prominently displayed on site. No blatant pitch for submissions. Covers are nothing special (the mysteries featured at the top of the page are by a different publisher). Size and prices suggest digital printing...

*chemical in vial emits noxious vapor*

Top Publications is a small press located in Dallas Texas that publishes primarily mainstream fiction. Most of our authors do not have agents. Being a small press we can't guarantee your book will be picked up by the major chains or independent bookstores. Generally the only way for a new author to get their new book in a store is to have a book signing there. Unless you are willing to have 50 to 100 signings during your first year, there is little likelihood that your book will be successful. Therefore please don't submit your work to us unless you are willing to make this commitment. TOP gives its authors the opportunity to get published, but their success will depend mainly on their own efforts.

If you are willing to make this commitment and would like TOP to consider publishing your book, please send us a query letter by email to [email protected]. Let us know something about yourself, the book, and your marketing ideas for it. We will evaluate your submission and if we want to see more, we'll let you know. If we do decide to publish your work, it will usually take 9 to 12 months to get you in print. TOP is a traditional publisher and pays a small advance to its authors upon signing a contract.
*choke, hack, gasp*

Um, well, while they do seem to focus on quality rather than quantity (and a few of their books have won awards), they depend on the author to be the sales force. Approach with eyes wide open.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know these guys? (Here.) One of their submission requirements is that the author must be willing to have 50 - 100 book signings in their first year.

Is this a common practice? I have two bookstores in my town and maybe five bookstores within a two hour drive. For me, 50 - 100 signings is going to be a stretch.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Unless they are making the arrangements and paying all costs, IMHO that just sounds like laying the groundwork for blaming the author when sales are less than impressive.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
That just sounds crazy. Do they also require you to buy the books for the signings?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's the publisher's job to get the book into stores.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's the publisher's job to get the book into stores.
If you're speaking generally, I totally concur. If you're speaking of this press, that would be an important data point. So-called "back end" vanity publishers make their money by selling to their authors--and 50 to 100 book signings would mean the author buying a lot of books. In the US, most bookstores won't order books from vanity publishers because the books are mostly not returnable if they don't sell, or the vanity publisher's discount terms are unfavorable to the store. It often falls to the author to buy their own books and beg the store to take them on consignment.

So, it would be good to know if you meant publishers in general, or this publisher in particular. It would give a valuable clue as to which side of the fence they're on. Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they are making the arrangements and paying all costs, IMHO that just sounds like laying the groundwork for blaming the author when sales are less than impressive.
They're laying something on thick, that's for sure:
Being a small press we can't guarantee your book will be picked up by the major chains or independent bookstores. Generally the only way for a new author to get their new book in a store is to have a book signing there. Unless you are willing to have 50 to 100 signings during your first year, there is little likelihood that your book will be successful. Therefore please don't submit your work to us unless you are willing to make this commitment. TOP gives its authors the opportunity to get published, but their success will depend mainly on their own efforts.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
TOP gives its authors the opportunity to get published, but their success will depend mainly on their own efforts.

So does Publish America...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Why would anyone agree to this? You would be turning yourself into a full-time salesperson when you should be using that time to write your next book.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
Why would anyone agree to this? You would be turning yourself into a full-time salesperson when you should be using that time to write your next book.

I agree with Waylander. I understand that small publishers frequently request their authors to provide a sales strategy -- but if the sales strategy (including book signings) is as important than the writing, I'd stay away.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
So, it would be good to know if you meant publishers in general, or this publisher in particular. It would give a valuable clue as to which side of the fence they're on. Thanks!

I'm afraid it was only a general point, not anything actually helpful :). I will try harder!