How do I make a PDF file?

shelleyhitz

Self Publishing Coach
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.self-publishing-coach.com
Free version of PDF995 for active hyperlinks

I use several options, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet is the free version of PDF995.com with their add-on PDFedit995 so that my hyperlinks are active. However, you do have to type it in as URL format for the links to be active.

I show with screenshots how I use it to create a 8.5x5.5 interior book template. http://www.self-publishing-coach.com/self-publishing-software.html

shelleyhitz

Self Publishing Coach
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.self-publishing-coach.com
Open Office is another amazing free tool for PDF conversion

I just recently learned how amazing OpenOffice.org is for converting PDF's. There is an "export to PDF" button and it will automatically convert text and URL links...no other free PDF software I know does this. And this is very handy then for creating a clickable table of contents.

Definitely check it out and if you need help learning how to use it, google it and you'll find many tutorials! I did create a short video about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdxHI_9Rayk

~Shelley

lwood6145

wordslayer
Registered
Reaction score
PDF FILES

I'm using a pdf editor called just that. It cost around $60 I think. It's good as far as simply opening your file in the pdf editor--it creates it in pdf formatf--however, sometimes it loads the word doc backwards, that is, last page to first, with the last page in the front. I've corrected this one, it did it again, and now I'm having problems getting it corrected.

Also, BUYER BEWARE--stay away from SMART PDF EDITOR--I bought a full version, it would not completely download.I've sent them numerous emails, to no avail. They simply sell the product, which may not completely download to your pc, then you won't hear from them again.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
I know this doesn't apply to the OP but if anyone has an iPad and wants to manipulate PDF files... Save2PDF is a great iPad app that only costs like $6.99. I use it and it's pretty simple. Very versatile (works with a lot of different file formats). You can print from it (although I haven't done that) and email the PDFs from the program. Pretty nice.

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
I just recently learned how amazing OpenOffice.org is for converting PDF's. There is an "export to PDF" button and it will automatically convert text and URL links...no other free PDF software I know does this. And this is very handy then for creating a clickable table of contents.

Definitely check it out and if you need help learning how to use it, google it and you'll find many tutorials! I did create a short video about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdxHI_9Rayk

~Shelley

great tip on the open office stuff, always had it, never used it. Until now, thanks!!

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
I just used software 995 creator and it rocks. Recommended

Davidchatman

Banned
Reaction score
The easiest way to create a PDF is to get a free GoogleDocs account, paste your cover and book text into a Document. Then go to File > Download as > PDF. I've done this several times for projects and for my clients projects. It always works like a charm.

Thank you friend, I always had doubt on creating a pdf file, You have solved it. Thank you very much

SamHorton

First time author, trade book.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightblue.smugmug.com
I did this for submission to Lulu, to create a software user's guide.

For the cover art, do not use a PDF. Use a TIFF or EPS file instead.

For the content, I tried all of the free stuff, then bit the bullet and bought Adobe Acrobat / Pro.

In a nutshell, in Acrobat/Pro, if you were in MS Word:
1. File/Print/PDF
2. Edit the settings, disable all image compression, include all fonts on your PC, save that profile
3. For all images in your document, use EPS only or TIF (others will degrade to varying degrees, in print)
4. Print to PDF, let it open

Now, that will give you a huge file. After you have created the file and it opens in Acrobat, use Acrobat's option for reduce file size.

With this, you have a reasonable shot. That said, at least with Lulu, what I got back was acceptable, but just acceptable.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I use Nitro PDF reader to convert word to PDF. It's free and keeps the same page size with high quality print and embedded fonts.

SummerSurf57

Banned
Reaction score
This is just how I do it (might not work on some versions of Windows). When I click File + Save on Microsoft Word, and it asks what format to save it in, I am given the option to change it to PDF.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
posting for future ref.

but Open Office have it, stunningly easy to use. (click an icon on the tool bar, that's it!)

jamiegrl100

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bythecross-thenovel.us
yes, Ms office 2007 has an option to save as PDF, just click the button on the top left, and click save as, and then use the drop down box to change the save as format to PDF, i have done this many times with out fail.;

mpclemens

Mad Typospherian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clickthing.blogspot.com
One tip if you're using LibreOffice to make print-ready PDFs (for POD, for example.) Be sure to "embed standard fonts" in the document, and make sure that "Register-true" is enabled in the page formatting.

The first is to ensure that you don't get any surprises with special characters/dingbats/bullets being changed if the font used for printing doesn't match up with the one you used on your computer. The second option appears to be necessary to ensure good alignment when it reall matters, like trying to not let text flow into a gutter area in a POD page.

I've been bitten by both problems, but otherwise have no problems using Libre's PDF generator.

SeriousScholar

Hi, I'm Rocky! :)
Registered
Reaction score
PDF Creator *sigh* stickeeeeeeeeeeee

I'll also recommend PDF Creator. It's a tidy little program that lets you print ANYTHING as a PDF. Get it from SourceForge.net here http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Works like a champ.

I used to love, absolutely love PDF Creator. I'd still be using it today but in my work as a document formatter I quickly realized that the margins don't convert properly (not even close...an inch can often get converted into two inches of white space). I'll have to check their current version and see if I can switch back because the interface is great and it's easy to use. Nice and lightweight too.

Not that I'm awfully into defending M$, but MSOffice does have an excellent PDF conversion add-in.

LOLz @ belated mention of the Google trick

I like Word 2007's Publish As pdf and Word 2010's Save As PDF options. On the plus side, you can create bookmarks in the pdf using Styles in the Word doc. On the down side, the quality, especially for images, is not so great. You might not notice at first, but if you switch to another program with a higher resolution and then compare the two, you'll see what I mean.

I've been using deskPDF for a while and it gives a much clearer conversion. Unfortunately it is not free, and the margins are still not perfect (I really need them to be, but I think for most people this wouldn't be too much of a concern). And you can't create pdf bookmarks out of Styles (You have to create them out of Word bookmarks, which are a pain to use).

I have tried Primo, 995, Cute pdf, doc2pdf, and all others mentioned on this thread. If you need the margins to be exact and want a high quality for a decent price, I think deskPDF is a good option. If someone has a better one I'd love to hear it because I"m always looking for improvements. I have tried Adobe Professional's and to be honest the margins were off further than the cheap and even some of the free programs, but maybe they've improved over the past couple of years.

Bottom line recommendation from someone who has fiddled with many of these programs: if the margin preciseness isn't a big concern for you, I'd go for PDF Creator. It's light, easy, ad-free, gives good quality, and is freeware. Gotta love it. :)

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
I have a free program called doPDF that works well for me. It comes up as a printer option, and then when it's done 'printing', it saves a copy of the document as PDF.

SeriousScholar

Hi, I'm Rocky! :)
Registered
Reaction score
I have a free program called doPDF that works well for me. It comes up as a printer option, and then when it's done 'printing', it saves a copy of the document as PDF.

Nice, I haven't used that one (I don't think, although I tried so many maybe I did haha). Yeah, deskPDF also installs as a printer option. I kind of like that but i also like the freestanding programs as long as they are light, easy to use, and offer at least some basic conversion options for quality, permissions, etc., which all of the programs in this thread do to some extent. I'll have to check out doPDF again though...always looking for a better option if I can find one. Thanks!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I use PDFill PDF and Image Writer Free. Download it from this link.

http://download.cnet.com/PDFill-PDF-and-Image-Writer-Free/3000-18497_4-10432936.html

I have an older version of Word which is fine for my purposes. It doesn't have a PDF creation option, so PDFill adds a PDF button to all the others. Worked just fine for all my print-on-demand books.

I also use PDFill to convert JPEG images to compact PDF files. All the POD book covers you see in my Sig were created that way.

fiona-s

Registered
Reaction score
Ok getting a bit more technical now, i have been asked, if sending a pdf file of a book to the printers does it need to be pdf/x or will a standard pdf with embedded fonts be ok???
any ideas

LiMeiLing

Registered
Reaction score

~Shelley

I second this. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are amazing for this.