Wimbledon 2010: Mahut vs. Isner

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone caught this? I caught it at hour 8 and watched it all the way through to the 10 hour mark and they decided to call it a day and continue on tomorrow. The longest tennis match ever by a paltry 3 and a half hours, 59 games a piece and 100 aces each. It's absolutely stunning to watch the players trudge on, and how!

Normally I don't bother watch tennis but this one was just epic.

The Guardian blogging on the progress of the match today.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one mildly unimpressed by this? I mean as a display of stamina it's obviously remarkable, but as far as the actual tennis... I feel like it's more of a case of two guys who aren't quite good enough to put their opponent away. As opposed to last year's final set with Federer vs. Roddick where it felt like Roddick was only delaying the inevitable, but that came off as more impressive to me because he was gamely fighting for survival with a championship so close, yet so far.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
And it's all over. John Isner won in the fifth set with a score of 70 games to 68 games (yep, 138 games in just one set) against Mahut. It lasted for 11 hours and 5 minutes. Bet they need a pint or three :D

Plus Andy Murray is through to the third round.

Damir

Registered
Reaction score
Unbelievable how long they played that match.