'I don't like the author except for....'

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever read/skimmed through a few books by an author, ready to give up altogether, and then found one of their novels that you really like?

For instance, I'm not that keen on DH Lawrence as a whole, but I loved Sons and Lovers. Could barely finish any Hemingway but I loved A Moveable Feast.

Which authors have surprised you?

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I may get lambasted for this, but I really, really dislike what I've read of Dickens except for A Tale of Two Cities. I love that book. But his others just feel like slop to me.

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
I liked A Tale of Two Cities- very sad. It is a departure from your typical Dickensian London slums, so I can see how someone could like A Tale of Two Cities and not the others.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Couldn't stand Faulkner, then I read Was from Go Down, Moses. Wow. Then I read Absalom, Absalom! Wow-wow.

This has happened in reverse, too, by the way. Started Nabokov with Lolita, and with one small exception it was all downhill from there.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Not a big fan of Terry Pratchet, I did LOVE Feet of Clay though.

Tried reading about 4 or 5 more of his and just couldn't get through them, just found to be a little boring.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was not at all impressed with Stephen King but I enjoyed The Stand (it was just too long. Cut out the middle third and you've got a great book there).

I want to like Douglas Coupland. I like the idea of Douglas Coupland more than I like any of his books. I get to the end and don't feel fulfilled for having read it. I keep giving him a chance, and one day I hope to edit this post to say I've found a GREAT Coupland book.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
If I read something by an author and I'm unhappy with it for whatever reason, I usually don't go and try to read any of their other books. I just chalk them up as not an author I like.

So in answer to the OP, no, there is no author that surprised me. I never gave them a chance.

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't stand Faulkner, then I read Was from Go Down, Moses. Wow. Then I read Absalom, Absalom! Wow-wow.

This has happened in reverse, too, by the way. Started Nabokov with Lolita, and with one small exception it was all downhill from there.

Yeah, I felt that. I loved Pale Fire (even though the structure was a challenge) but from what I flicked through of the others, they were all either precursors of Lolita or copies of it.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Jules Verne.

I just did not like them. I tried and tried, didn't work. The only one that worked for me, and that I loved, was Around The World In Eighty Days.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Dean Koontz. He's very hit or miss for me. I enjoyed One Door Away from Heaven and Tic Toc, but couldn't even get through Twilight Eyes and wanted to throw two others I read by him across the room they annoyed me so much.