Toy Story 3 [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this one. The first sequel in 11 years! Aready, it's got a 100% rating on Rottentomatoes just like its predecessors.

By the way, has anyone read the entry for it on wikipedia? Several times now, I've noticed that some new text has been added to describe what happens in the end, but it ultimately gets erased by the next day.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
We saw the sneak preview of Toy Story 3 last night. I'm not a big fan of modern animated features, except for rare exceptions such as Wall E and Up. (As long as there are no talking animals that speak in modern American lingo, I'll sometimes like it.)

I loved Toy Story 3. In fact, it affected me so much that I was thinking about it last night, this morning, and have been half this day.

I'm not sure how many spoilers we want to mention just yet, but at least I can talk about the things that everyone knows.

It's been 11 years, Andy's 18 now. He's about to go to college. For the past several years all the old favorite toys have been languishing in the toybox, untouched. Andy's mom tells him to clean up the room, decide what he's keeping, taking to college, or getting rid of.

Through a series of events, all the toys wind up at the local day care, which at first seems like a good place to wind up. (The dinosaur, my favorite character, remarks, "It must be a nice place. There's a rainbow on the door!") They meet all the resident toys, led by Lotso, a big, purple teddy bear that smells like strawberries, (and voiced by Ned Beatty) welcomes them with open arms and leads them to their room, the adjacent room that, well, isn't the ideal environment for them after all. Believing that Andy didn't intend to throw them all away, Woody escapes and heads back home to try to be with Andy. Then . . . other stuff happens.

Here's are some spoilers shaded in white:

The daycare is a dictatorial prison camp led by Lotso, who was an abandoned toy. Lotso's chief "enforcing officer" is "Big Baby," who was one of the toys that used to be with Lotso before being abandoned. Big Baby is an infant doll with vacant, staring eyes, but truly a frightening sight and character. Andy's toys are put into cages, watched over by Buzz Lightyear, who has been turned into a prison guard by switching him into the "Demo" mode--all his familiar personality erased. Woody learns of this situation and returns to help the toys escape. Meanwhile, all the very young toddlers play with Andy's old toys, but the toys are not "age appropriate" for this set of rambunctious youngsters. They're truly in hell and couldn't possibly last several days intact. Later, at the end, all the toys are reunited with Andy who donates them to a neighborhood girl who looks to give them a good, new home and lots of happy playtime. This scene in particular is heartfelt and nostalgiac, and was forcing a few tears from my eyes.

My impression of the film was that it had darker themes than the previous two, and some of the scenes are both memorable and frightening, IMO. Definitely a kids movie, of course, but I know the adults will enjoy it immensely. Best of all, there were no scenes when a character stops the action to sing a song, as what happened in Toy Story 2, a scene I always fast forward through.

What's especially great is that all the original voices are back. The personalities are exactly as we remember them. Most striking is knowing that since TS2, Tom Hanks has done nothing but continue to grow into one of our generation's biggest movie stars. And yet, here he is, back in his old role as Woody, as if he was there all along.

Last edited:

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going into this with extremely high expectations, which I know will be met. Pixar is about the only film studio I can say that about.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Every time I thought Pixar couldn't top themselves, they did it. So I have high hopes for this one, especially knowing they didn't want to do a sequel unless they had a damn good script, and after 11 years, I bet they had a damn good script.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, somebody please add "SPOILERS" to the thread title...

Ditto Wavy and maestro. I can't remember a Pixar film I didn't love. Dreamworks, otoh, is more hit-and-miss.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm going into this with extremely high expectations, which I know will be met. Pixar is about the only film studio I can say that about.

I agree. Pixar never ceases to surprise and amaze me.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this. My kids are pestering me. This is the first non-shoot-em-up-or-stab-em movie they want to see this summer.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Pixar is the only studio house where I don't need to see a trailer. All I need to know is that it is a Pixar film.

That's good enough for me.

Mel...

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this. My kids are pestering me. This is the first non-shoot-em-up-or-stab-em movie they want to see this summer.

Don't count your bunnies before they come out of the rabbit hole...

I heard Andy and Buzz get into a knife fight...

Mel....

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I thought Pixar couldn't top themselves, they did it. So I have high hopes for this one, especially knowing they didn't want to do a sequel unless they had a damn good script, and after 11 years, I bet they had a damn good script.

Pretty much!

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
Dude! Just saw this last night. It was better than I expected. I don't remember much of the second TS and the first was never my favorite Pixar flick, but this was a real treat. Definitely the movie to beat this summer.

The 3D didn't do much for it, though, IMO. I'd recommend saving your money on that.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
It made $41 million on Friday. On track to make $120 million for the weekend. Finding Nemo* still ranks as Pixar's best weekend opener, when they pulled in $70 million.

The Toy Storys are my favorite Pixars. I just contributed to its box office success. Seeing it tonight, cannot wait--although I am a bit disappointed I couldn't find a theater playing it in 35mm instead of Digital 3D.

ETA*: Not Finding Nemo. The Incredibles made $70 million.

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
It's a wonderful film; you'll enjoy yourself.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Just got back from seeing it with my parents. Excellent film.

ETA: I also enjoyed the short. I thought it was quite innovative, even by Pixar standards.

Last edited:

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
^Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that. Extremely clever, that was. :D

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Saw it today with the Loving Husband and Precious Little Tax Deductions. I bawled at times, I must admit. Overall, very good. Very dark; or maybe that's just because we've grown up with Andy.

One thing: my little guy, who's almost seven, found one scene in particular very upsetting (he was balled up and crying, and he spent the rest of the movie on my lap, with me promising him that it's just a movie and that everyone is going to be OK -- which I had no idea whether or not it would be true, but I gambled that it would because damn it, it's a G-rated Pixar flick so the good guys are gonna win, or else!).

It's not a lighthearted feel-good movie. But damned if it's not a good movie.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
BTW, I had no idea that Michael Keaton did Ken's voice! The Youtube videos of Ken's dating tips are funneh.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Loved it. Cried. The dialogue isn't always as clever as the previous two films (it was clever in other ways), and it was darker. Broke my heart a couple of times--like the quick mention about Bo Peep--but it was a worthwhile addition to the other movies.

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from watching it. Wasn't a big fan of the first two but this one was wonderful. Really glad I saw it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm surprised so many critics gave it 3 or 3.5 stars. It's rated lower than the last two.

I'm going to see it with a few friends this evening. Will tell you my verdict.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
It's AWESOME.

It's also way darker than the other films, which may get a little bit shocking at times. There's one scene in particular that's just... dammit, I tear up just thinking about that scene.

But it's still an excellent movie. You'll cry, and laugh, and squirm and feel hope and relief and stress and... dammit. It's a great, great movie.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Projected to net $109 million by the end of the day.

And you know what's interesting? I haven't seen one televison ad for this film, aside from the USPS ads featuring the characters. For my demographic, the buzz was strictly online.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
So, what's been the makeup of everyone's theaters? I went to a late show, but there wasn't a kid in sight. All adults and older teens. This EW article discusses the phenomenon--adults finally accepting animation as a legitimate storytelling form.

But it's more than that. Obviously Pixar has been making quality films for years, but the original Toy Story fans are adults themselves, now. Would adults turn out in 11 years to see a sequel to, say, How to Train Your Dragon? I said above I hadn't seen one television ad for the movie itself, but Pixar has been aggressive in grassroots marketing for older demos... I think the majority of those who were reached by the marketing would have turned out for the movie, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.