• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Max speed a spaceship could go?

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
No, I just slipped on which time unit I was using.
Ah.
Anyway, a constant 1g acceleration is pretty slow for interstellar distances (but then, all STL travel is) but you can make interplanetary ones in a reasonable amount of time. Think long sea-voyage. I.e. Earth-Mars 49-107 hours, Earth-Jupiter 140-170 hours.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Ah.
Anyway, a constant 1g acceleration is pretty slow for interstellar distances (but then, all STL travel is) but you can make interplanetary ones in a reasonable amount of time. Think long sea-voyage. I.e. Earth-Mars 49-107 hours, Earth-Jupiter 140-170 hours.

Yes, it is a damned good acceleration for interplanetary trips, and it will get a ship to a very respectable percentage of c in less than a year.

The problem with getting close to c is that one has to find an energy source that could accelerate something there. At 1g the energy problem doesn't seem as bad, but it's still an almost infinite amount of energy, and then there's the problem of mass increasing as one nears c, so it would take innfinite energy to get to c, and more energy than exists in the universe to get to just 99.99999% of c. I worked all that out the second time I read Tau Zero, and mostly forgot about it later.

jake62

Registered
Reaction score
If you read the material on the Billy Meier UFO case (the most documented UFO case), you will find where he documents the Pleiadian space travel. When they want to go long distances fast they have a device that transforms the ship and all aboard into particles.

Once in particles they travel at the speed of thought.

Billy described the time when they travelled at thought speed. He described it kind of like the afterlife. He couldn't hear anything, colors were more vivid, peace and tranquillity, etc.

The process was all controlled by their computer like devices. I bet it is one hell of a long logarithm.

Last edited:

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Solar sails. (propulsion that doesn't consume mass)

And why can particles travel at the speed of light? I'm currently composed of particles, and I can't travel at the speed of light.