Advertising in comments on Blogs

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all;

Just want to ask about leaving your name, link to website, and advertising in your comment while visiting and commenting on blogs.

I don't do it. However, I read in a book promotion book to do it. Other bloggers have told me that it's rude to do that, but some authors swear by it.

What are your thoughts?

Deleted member 42

Make a comment because a post is interesting, or you have something to say. To comment just to get your link in is spamming. Blog owners know what you're doing, and will delete spam comments.

Engage in the community.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I thought so...didn't feel right about doing it. Yet some author's did it on mine and I deleted it and invited them to be a guest on my blog. That way, they would get a full promotion.

fezfrascati

Professional yambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dannyzeff.com
Don't link to your site in the comment itself. On most blogs you can make your name as a link. That's the best way to go about it. If someone leaves a comment with a link in their names, chances are I will click on it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you make a genuine comment you can put your site link into the form, so your name links to your site. But a fake comment just to drop a link is not kosher.

ColoradoMom

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.the-simple-homeschool.com
This is like internet marketing 101...you absolutely SHOULD leave your name and website in the appropriate place in your comment. Many comment forms will have a textbox for you to enter your name, website and e-mail if you are not already logged in to their site/platform. When you post your comment the link will be automatically inserted as a link to your username.

This is the easiest and most accepted way of increasing pagerank of your own blog/website. However, you should not leave a "thanks for sharing" post because in return for them giving you a backlink you agree to contribute to their site and increase the comment count. It is a quid pro quo and it is totally acceptable to do if you follow these rules.

There are many lists of high page rank "do-follow" blogs out there that exist partly to let you post your link when you comment on their cool blog.

For example:
http://mastercom.over-blog.com/
http://www.stephanmiller.com/

Both of which know exactly why you are leaving a comment and have a pagerank of 5. Be nice to them - i.e. contribute with a thoughtful comment, and they will continue to help new bloggers increase their presence on the web by having do-follow links.

In addition, if your blog makes it big - please consider returning the favor. It is hard to get ranked on the web when you are competing with millions of people.

envision

novice novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with not posting comments in blogs just to post your advertisements in them. I find that to be quite rude and so do most people. Instead, link your name with your website address. Most blog posts have that function. That way, people can click on your name if they are truly interested and it doesn't look like you're spamming. Also add something informative to the post as well. That way, people will want to visit you to see who made that interesting post.