• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Purity Publishers

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm browsing around for agents to try querying my Christian, Childrens story in a few weeks time and came across Purity Publications.

http://www.puritypublishers.com/puritypublishers/

An e-book publisher, it says it's free of charge and that the books are available for readers free of charge so I won't make anything from it.

That doesn't bother me, I just want the thought of seeing something I wrote get published and seeing other people read and hopefully enjoy it :)

So anyway, before I start the old querying stage...

Anyone know if these are reputable and trusted or not? Don't wanna ping everything to them and find out it's some sort of con XD

Got another question actually that is sorta related, IF they accepted my writing would it count as been published since the e-books are given free of charge or do they actually have to be for sale for you to be considered 'published'?

Many thanks :)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of them, so I have no idea whether or not they're kosher.

As they take whatever they're offered and then give it away, I reckon publishing with them will count about as much as it would if you put your story up on your own blog or website.

For a publication to count, it's not so much how much the book is sold for as how discriminating the publisher is. (PublishAmerica charges outrageous sums for their books, but because they have no editorial standards a publication with them counts for less than nothing: all it says is This Author Is An Easy Mark For A Scam.)

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score

I don't think they accept any old garbage, at least it says on the site "If your manuscript is accepted..."

Course, I dunno how strict they are with that :)

Anyway, got another question that i don't understand at all. It says the copywrite will remain mine, I won't have to sing anything, the book will remain mine etc.

What exactly does that mean? Does it mean if a paying publisher wants to publish it then I can send it to them or what?

Sorry...It's probebly a completely noobish question but I'm new at this!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The copyright always remains with the author unless it's ghostwriting/work for hire (or unless the author is crazy enough to sign it away). The publisher will lease certain publication rights from the author for a specified period of time in return for an agreed-upon payment.

In this case, the publisher appears to be leasing non-exclusive e-book rights from the author for the period of submission time to 70 years after author's death in return for a payment of zero dollars. If that is correct, then you could publish with them and also submit the manuscript to other publishers and offer them exclusive print rights, exclusive audio rights, and/or non-exclusive e-rights, as a reprint of an already-published book.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Easiest way to check if they're discriminating is to look at some of the books. If they're good quality, they're probably okay. If there's typos, formatting issues, and just plain boring stories, aim higher. To be honest, though this is probably a perfectly legit enterprise, why go for something with limited exposure (sorry, but that's a fugly website!) and no payment until you've exhausted all other options anyway?

Christian Publishing is its own beast, so if you think you've got something kids would enjoy, have a look around a Christian bookshop and see who publishes the children's books there. Try submitting to them - after all, you know they can get your story into bookshops, and they'll even pay you for it. You get to share your story with more people that way.

As for publishing credits, a good credit is a name other publishers will recognise. Payment isn't 100% necessary, but most good publishers can afford to pay their authors. Had you heard of Purity before you started looking for places to submit? Have you ever downloaded one of their books for personal reasons, rather than research?