2007-06-06d-day.jpg

blog-dday.jpg

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine how scared s***less those guys must have been in those landing craft.

Mann Crux

Love it would be much better
Registered
Reaction score
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dad was a WWII vet. Thanks for the thread, regdog.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
My grandfather, too. Fought in Europe and was one of the first of the American troops to walk into Dachau. He never talked about his experiences, only about the men he served with and their friendship.

Btw, RealClearPolitics has posted Reagan's speech from Normandy in 1984: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/06/06/the_boys_of_pointe_du_hoc_105873.html

A bit:

Forty summers have passed since the battle that you fought here. You were young the day you took these cliffs; some of you were hardly more than boys, with the deepest joys of life before you. Yet, you risked everything here. Why? Why did you do it? What impelled you to put aside the instinct for self-preservation and risk your lives to take these cliffs? What inspired all the men of the armies that met here? We look at you, and somehow we know the answer. It was faith and belief. It was loyalty and love.

The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead, or on the next. It was the deep knowledge -- and pray God we have not lost it -- that there is a profound moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate, not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Thoughts on Veterans’ Day

[FONT=&quot]I thought about their
sacrifice
ordinary people
paying the price
for our freedom
with their lives
leaving parents, children,
husbands and wives
left alone;
to weep and grieve,
forlorn.

Valiant soldiers
ordinary people
I’m forever grateful
for where you’ve been
stepping through
the gates of hell
so we can sleep
so soundly and so well.

I don’t possess
enough words
to convey
my thankfulness.

God bless you all,
for answering freedom's call.[/FONT]

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Back in college, I did a paper on D-Day. A guy my mother worked with went in on the first wave on Omaha Beach, so I interviewed him. For several hours we sat and talked about what his experience was - he said he was far too seasick to be scared, and was grateful to get on the beach because of it. Then, he said he went autopilot and just moved on. Didn't think about anything other than getting through that very moment. Then the next. And so on.

He died last year. I still have the interview tapes (20 years later.) The stories he told then still have me in awe today.

The Greatest Generation, indeed.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Jersey, I hope you have those tapes thoroughly backed up.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I was standing on Omaha Beach this past March. It's amazing to think of how beautiful and peaceful this place really is, then contrast it to the horror in 1944. It's truly unimaginable.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Never forget. I'd never have that much courage; it's so amazing.

My Uncle Bill was a pacifist but in the war. He cleaned up those beaches after D-Day. It affected him forever.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
My father was in the South Pacific in WWII.
Those are great images - wonderful thread.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Back in college, I did a paper on D-Day. A guy my mother worked with went in on the first wave on Omaha Beach, so I interviewed him. For several hours we sat and talked about what his experience was - he said he was far too seasick to be scared, and was grateful to get on the beach because of it. Then, he said he went autopilot and just moved on. Didn't think about anything other than getting through that very moment. Then the next. And so on.

He died last year. I still have the interview tapes (20 years later.) The stories he told then still have me in awe today.

The Greatest Generation, indeed.

Wow, Jersey, what a book - or great newspaper feature article - you might have there.

I interviewed someone years ago who was on the Bataan Death March - back then I had no idea what that was. I wish I'd had more insight.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen is call The World at War. It spans twenty-six episodes and covers the rise of Adolf Hitler all the way to the immediate aftermath of the Second World War.

It's an intense and wide ranging series that I'd recommend to just about anyone. The Normandy invasion is well documented and shown from time to time on The Military Channel, as well as all of the other episodes.

Wiki has an entry about the series for anyone who is interested in reading further.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
what an amazing set of images. Incredible. We remember veterans in April in Australia, but you can never remember them too often.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We lose 1100 of these brave men every day :(

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What a brilliant thread.

I'm sitting here in a house in the village that hosted the 101st Airborne Division prior to D-Day. The late Major Winters lodged with the family that ran the village shop, it's just around the corner from me. The Officer's Mess was in the Blue Boar and the Officers held briefings in the cellar of a house just down the road from the pub.
The men hiked all over the surrounding downs on exercises.

It's not hard to imagine this little village swarming with American soldiers all those years ago.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
There's no denying the sacrifices those boys made and God Bless them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another year has passed and we remember and say, Thank you.