Ack!! Just sent first few chapters off to a couple of beta readers

ebennet68

Avoids editing by procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
I've finally gotten up the nerve to send off the first few chapters of my first completed novel. For me, that is a big accomplishment, because the very first time I ever shared any of my work with someone else back in January, I had tears in my eyes because of hurt feelings. Since then, I've grown quite a bit thicker skin, thick enough to send off my work. Wish me luck!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, we totally get how hard that can be, so congratulations! It'll be a little easier to find the courage next time, too.

And remember that even if they don't love it, it's not you they don't love, just something you wrote--although I hope they do love it, of course.

Maryn, proud of you

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

And don't be afraid of an honest critique. Betas want to help, not hurt. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs on taking the next big step! The bananas salute you.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I understand! It's not easy to realize the manuscript isn't perfect when we thought it was. But pushing through that pain and stress shows a high level of professionalism and desire. I'm happy for you that it's getting easier.

Best wishes and good luck on your revisions!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Becoming a better writer includes knowing what input to accept and which to ignore. I'm getting ready to troll for a new beta or two, so I hope I've built up some good karma.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
It's both thrilling and terrifying. I hope your latest batch of feedback is tolerable but fruitful. Sometimes the harshest ones are the best ones...but only after the sting has faded and the scars healed.

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the beta! It's hard, I know. AuburnAssassin (a few posts up) and I beta'd each others' novels a while back--[*mwaw* love you AA!]--and yes, once you get past the initial sting, you realize how very very helpful it is, on oh-so-many levels.

Finding qualified betas is one of the best things AW has to offer, IMO. I've done several since and all have been positive experiences.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Love you too, Honeysock [a sweetheart of a beta and a talented writer whose novel was a joy to read].

And EBennett, if your novel is like your flashes that I enjoy every week, you'll do fine because you do write well.

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend posting the first chapter on SYW. Some really smart people put a lot of time and effort trying to help those of us just learning. And I don't just mean pointing out a few punctuation or grammar gaffes but the meaty stuff too like infodumps, conflict, pacing, characterization. Invaluable stuff.

Last edited:

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done! It's a big step, but one that's very worth taking.