Tor slush party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
(Feel free to move this thread, I wasn't sure where to post it.)

A thousand years or so ago, Tor used to host these slush pizza parties once a month for the magazine - great fun.

I want to do them again, but have no idea who I'd contact, and don't want to randomly bother busy editors.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

Deleted member 42

(Feel free to move this thread, I wasn't sure where to post it.)

A thousand years or so ago, Tor used to host these slush pizza parties once a month for the magazine - great fun.

Yeah . . . that's not Tor.

What magazine were you thinking of?

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
That's the bit I can't remember, which is driving me bonkers.

The actual event was a hobby of one Tor editor, a magazine, and it was held in one of the Tor offices on a Saturday. (He was a nice older gentleman with a propensity for propeller beanies - but beyond that, my brain is refusing to cooperate.)

I probably wouldn't have even recalled where it was, save the Flatiron building is fairly memorable.

AHA! It was Mr. David Hartwell. Thank you, google.

Anyhow...

Does anyone know if the fun is still going, and how to volunteer?

Deleted member 42

AHA! It was Mr. David Hartwell. Thank you, google.

Anyhow...

Does anyone know if the fun is still going, and how to volunteer?

It wasn't for a magazine, per se. And it's not generally open to the public--you knew someone who knew someone. I suspect that the best option would be to just see if a Tor person responds to the thread.

Hartwell is generally known for his editorial acumen and sartorial splendor.

He actually *likes* critical theory, too, and has been known, like PNH, to make me like it, however briefly.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
I did know someone (his older children, who are around my age). I've since lost contact with both of them.

I guess now, it is to wait...

Thank you! It's been over ten years, and I want to have some lit-flavored fun again (maybe I'm insane for thinking slush is fun - then again, I don't have to deal with it on a daily basis.)

Status
Not open for further replies.