Wood turning and carving

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a premise, a couple characters, and a bit of a plot...

I'm exploring the possibility of a female woodcarver in the 17th and 18th Centuries. I'm expecting her to learn most of her skill from her father, a turner, and hoping I can find a way to have her set up a shop of shorts to sell treen and trinkets and perhaps some more sculptural pieces... and godemiche. (it's going to be erotic romance when all is said and done). Her clientele would primarily be the more well off and aristocratic members of society.

I'm finding a few instances of craftswomen, but most seemed to be more of the artsy sort (miniatures etc) and from better off families. I've found her a wealthy acquaintance who can assist financially, but I'm not convinced she'd be accepted as a shop owner and craftswoman. I'd prefer to be in the late 17th C, but I'm seeing possibilities with steam powered lathes during the industrial revolution.

Anyway, broad general question I suppose... Realistic? Plausible? Suggestions on resources?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
We've been talking about hand wood working with our township bicentennial. The common folk had to know how to make a bowl with an adze (no power equipment), make pegs to hold their barns together, etc. In the winter months when they weren't working on the necessities of life, some of them did do some carving - toys, puzzles, etc.

You might find some useful resources if you check on pioneer crafts in the Americas. Puma

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Puma!

I'm expecting she'd have more skill than the average common folk, having come from a woodworking family. And I probably should have mentioned that this would be taking place in London.

I'll see what the pioneer craft folks have though. Thanks. :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know...

if it will help, having not yet ordered it from the library, but there is a book by Daniel Defoe, printed in 1726 and reprinted in 1970 in the USA by Burt Fanklin, called 'The Complete English Tradesman' which is recommended to me as having information about some women silversmiths I'm writing about.

The well off would not buy treen and wooden trinkets as that was poor man's wares. They would employ someone to do lovely carving in their house. I think there might be 17thC prejudice against a woman doing carving work in a church, but not buying her work and bringing it into the church. I think that free form wooden sculpture is modern.

Have a look at Dorothy Hartley's books: 'Made in England' and 'A Countryman's England' where she looks at the old ways of working/making crafts. The sapling bent down to make a lathe was effective and swift. There's a group do it near me at the annual Victorian Country Fair and turn bowls and knobs etc with speed and craft!

17thC, and probably 18thC, wood carvers usually travelled from area to area finding work, like the stone carvers did.

You'd have to find a very compelling reason for her to carve, and a good reason why a woman would do that when, in those centuries, she had very definite work to do as a woman.

Sirius

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading The Female Shipwright, the autobiography of Mary Lacy, aka William Chandler, who went to sea in the mid 18th century disguised as a boy, and who subsequently served a full apprenticeship as a shipwright in the Royal dockyards, later receiving a pension in her own name as Mary Lacy and building a row of houses, some still standing, in Deptford.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Waylander!

Stop giving away my precious characters for my next novel!

I have some more references for my research and apparently 'The Making of the English Middle Class, 1660-1730' by Peter Earle gives evidence that one third of all women of property in London were running a business.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
This is just what I needed! Thanks everyone! I'll give her a small, inherited shop for trinkets to the lower classes, but since I'll need her to do at least a few custom pieces for the higher ups, I'll make those ones house calls.

I've found that a few of the livery companies actually had female members, but most seemed to be accepted as widows of members.

Between that and the book pdr referenced, I should have my butt covered on the accuracy part.

You lovelies are all awesome.

:)