Anybody else have a Spouse that writes too, but in a different Genre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolanne Patton

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking for awhile. I was curious if there was anyone else like me who has a Spouse that is also a writer, but in a different Genre?

I write Horror almost exclusively. I have written one short story that was Sci Fi, and I wouldn't completely rule out that I might do that again at some point, but Horror is my passion.

DH writes YA Urban Fantasy.

It's frustrating because I have been a bookworm all my life and have read all kinds of different things, so when he gets stuck I am able to throw some ideas at him and I can appreciate his work, but he doesn't "get" Horror at all so when I read him something I've written he just calls me a sick puppy. And I guess that's a good point, or I wouldn't be writing Horror and I must have done my job well but it's still frustrating.

Added to that I have two teenage boys living in this house and they also just look at me like I've got two heads. Ironically, my 21 year old sister and my two adult daughters are the only people that really get my writing.

For background I've had two short stories published and currently have 6 others subbed out. My short term goal is to sell a short for enough money to qualify to join the Horror Writers Association as an affiliate, then start on my novel, which I am now just compiling research on.

DH has finished a novel that we have queried out to several agents, he's written nothing else before that. The novel is the first of a series, and he's currently working on book two.

It's good to meet all of you :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My wife is a better writer than I am, but does not enjoy it, so has no desire to be a writer. Thank God. She's an avid reader, and I love that about her, but I'm not sure I'd want someone else in the house playing with my toys all the time.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
stop asking him to read for you, then. Maybe after long enough, he'll realize that his input isn't helpful and try to give a little more.

Welcome to the board, btw :hi:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Carolanne!

My partner likes most of the genres I like, except chick lit. Whereas she likes mystery more than I do. We both write spec fic, from horror to science fiction to classic fantasy to urban fantasy, plus some mainstream. So we're each other's bestest betas. Sometimes life works out just right.

I'm surprised someone who writes UF wouldn't get horror -- I'd say they're sibling genres. And teenage boys who don't like horror? What's up with that? (Maybe they just don't like the idea of Mom writing horror. ;) )

Hope we'll be seeing some of your work here!

Carolanne Patton

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I'm puzzled too, we seem to have a major gender role reversal going on.

Probably part of DH's problem is that he is Dyslexic, so he never reads for fun. Weird huh? A Dyslexic writer. Not much fun for me as I have to edit everything he writes for him, since he couldn't pay a real editor enough to do it, lol.

And another funny thing. DH's book has a guy being cut in two by a scythe, but he claims he almost threw up when he was a kid watching the gremlins movie when the gremlin got put in the blender. Chuckle.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
If nothing else, the two of you can discuss things like style and syntax. Even if you don't get the storylines of one another's work, good writing is good writing and vice-versa. You can keep each other honest in that fashion, at least.

Elisabeth Bruce

Registered
Reaction score
My partner is a poet - a rhyming one. I don't really mind, I really don't, but I'm not exactly delighted when I'm served a new poem with my breakfast coffee.

I have this tag line I take with me most everywhere:

"My partner is a poet, which is probably why I write prose."

We used to live in the same 'office' (spare room) but I moved out into a smaller and colder room because the 'vibes' from the 'poe-partner' were screaming around the walls.

I appreciate his creativity and ability but sometimes I feel I'm being hit by a tsunami.

This is the only site I go where he isn't a member and I'm loving the independence! I even got my own printer now.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My ex was a psychologist and he wrote and published alot of articles and a couple of books on the topic.

At the time I was writing primarily acedemia in an obscure branch of veterinary, so we were fine working together.

When I was writing fiction though, he just didn't seem, or want to, get it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine writes, but scripts, not books. He betas for me -and he's a wonderful story editor...

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
My missus writes cheques and shopping lists. That's it.

O, once she wrote a scalding letter to someone. She used poor grammar and dumbfounded me with her choice of punctuation.

Such is life.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I'm puzzled too, we seem to have a major gender role reversal going on.

Probably part of DH's problem is that he is Dyslexic, so he never reads for fun. Weird huh? A Dyslexic writer. Not much fun for me as I have to edit everything he writes for him, since he couldn't pay a real editor enough to do it, lol.

And another funny thing. DH's book has a guy being cut in two by a scythe, but he claims he almost threw up when he was a kid watching the gremlins movie when the gremlin got put in the blender. Chuckle.

Your DH is in good company. There are quite a few dyslexic writers out there. Stephen J. Cannell is severely dyslexic, and it hasn't slowed him down a bit.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My ex and I both write literary fiction. She tends more toward minimalism and realism, though, while I'm more of a maximalist and surrealism kind of guy. Does that count?

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
My missus writes cheques and shopping lists. That's it.

O, once she wrote a scalding letter to someone. She used poor grammar and dumbfounded me with her choice of punctuation.

Such is life.

I write all correspondence for my significant other to avoid her such embarrassment. Did the same for my ex-wife, that lovely (farts) Master of Social Work who supposedly wrote her way through six years of college, but couldn't lucidly craft a letter to a collection agency to dispute a fraudulent credit card charge....

Status
Not open for further replies.