I've been doing a lot of reading lately and noticing that most successful authors have vocabularies that beat mine in every dimension. I try to write down the words I see that I'm not familiar with, but it's beyond that: not only do they use unfamiliar words, they use words that I know but don't think to use when I'm writing.

To combat the problem, I'm making a list of words and definitions to try to incorporate into my writing; many of them may be familiar to you, some are even familiar to me. What matters is that the word packs a punch, holds power over the imagination. I'll try to post as often as I can, and anyone can feel free to add their own words to the list.

Here goes for the first entry:

epiphytic -- relying on something else for structural, but not nutritional support

suppurations -- pockets of pus

agglutinate -- to cause to adhere, as with glue; to cause blood to clot

execration -- a curse

flue -- a conduit to carry off smoke

hirsute -- hairy

irascible -- prone to outbursts of anger

argent -- silvery

aspersion -- damaging remark

abnegate -- to deny oneself

efficacious -- capable of producing a desired effect

trenchant -- forceful, cutting

solipsist -- one who believes they alone are real

corpulent -- excessively fat

perspicacious -- mentally discerning

excoriate -- to tear or wear off skin; to abrade

angiosperm -- a flowering plant

inculcate -- to teach by repetition

sepulchral -- reminiscent of funerals

contrail -- the streak of condensed water vapor or ice crystals that follows an aircraft

avocation -- a hobby

attenuate -- to shrink

coruscate -- to glitter or sparkle

I'll have more later, and I encourage other people to provide words of their own. All of these were found in books I have read in the past year, many of which have been bestsellers of award winners.