• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

MuseItUp Publishing

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I'm scared to confront them, as I have been scolded in the past. So, yeah. Leaving things as they are for now, and recommending no one publish with them.

Scolded? HOW DARE THEY? You come to them, a legit writer with a story to sell, then THEY scold you?

Right, time to put on your game face, get mad, and prepare to kick arse and take names. Anger is good solid, useful emotion when channeled in the right direction and there's reason for it.

You have plenty of reasons, five wasted years of reasons.

First, see what the procedure, if any, is involved in getting your book back. Then get it back--in writing--and do not take no for an answer. Whatever smoke and mirrors they throw at you, wave those aside. Let them know that you are firm about it and since the book is not making them any significant money, it's in their best interest to cut ties. Don't threaten legal action yet, be polite, and don't let them rattle you. Write out your reasons, have a script handy. If some jerkoff starts scolding you, ask to be transferred to their supervisor.

The people on the other end of the phone or email are just like anyone else, and while they might use bullying language, they prefer to have a quiet day and eat their lunch on time. People like you who won't take no for an answer disrupt that, especially with phone calls. I've known writers who got their books back simply by being pests. It's your property, you deserve to have it back.

As for first rights, those don't mean anything these days. Your book is not technically new to a commercial house, but it is new to readers who have not heard of it. Most of the writers I know have their whole backlist up as indie published titles on Kindle, B&N, and Smashwords. Do some pimping on Facebook and Twitter, send freebie copies to bloggers for reviews, and be working on other books.

Your situation is a speed bump, not a roadblock.

Look at it that way, psyche yourself up, and get your book back. You can do it, and plenty of people here on AW can help.

Not go forth, kick butt, and keep us informed. Grr!

Last edited:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar experience to LizzieBoo's. I've since moved on, but I second her advice not to publish with them (or, frankly, any small pub that operates as a mill).

Edited to add--I wasn't taken to task by them, but then again, I never confronted them. I haven't been paid since the book was e-pubbed in 2014. For a number of reasons I've let it go, and I don't intend to pursue it now, but caveat emptor and all that :).

Last edited:

LizzieBoo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and support, guys. Means a lot. Am thinking over things said here and will make my moves carefully.