"Absence of Mind" Marilynne Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey!!! I just read in the New York Review of Books that Marilynne Robinson (only my all-time favourite writer) has a new book coming out!! - "in which she applies her astute intellect to science, religion and consciousness."

I loved her warmth and humanity in Gilead and Home (and in Housekeeping,too). I love the thoughtfulness and calm she brings to ideas. I hope this one (non-fiction) is everything I want it to be.

It's wonderful, isn't it, to have a writer who doesn't let you down?

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She applies her asstoot intellect to reigion? Is that supposed to be religion?

Don't feel bad, read any post of mine for fun with misspelling, and please be merciless...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gilead has more passages that I remember - but I loved both Gilead and Home, and Housekeeping as well. She's a glorious writer :)

Diana - there you are. I put the 'ell back in religion - just for you :p

Last edited:

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited to read Home. Robinson lives around here--sometimes I see her walking her dog-- and belongs to the local Congregational Church. Mr. Rima went up to her and did the fanboy thing at a pizza parlor, and she was very gracious and sweet to him.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
it's a wonderful book.

It is, isn't it?

"I'm writing this in part to tell you that if you ever wonder what you've done in your life, and everyone does wonder sooner or later, you have been God's grace to me, a miracle, something more than a miracle."

*sigh*

And then in Home she says "God does not need our worship. We worship to enlarge our sense of the holy, so that we can feel and know the presence of the Lord who is with us always. He said, Love is what it amounts to, a loftier love..."

I think that's just glorious stuff.

:)

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I'm also something of a Civil War buff, so the tie-in to complexities of the conflict in Kansas during the 1850s is an added plum.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know your Kansas conflict, but I'm guessing she's researched it well? No mistakes? I love her work - I hope this next one is Wonderful. I'll be shattered if it isn't....

Status
Not open for further replies.