computer book's title and trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny

Hi all,

I have au simple question.

Is it allowed to use a software's name in a book title (for example : "(Microsoft)Word training manual") ? Do we have to ask for permission, pay for that right ?

And what about software screen shots ? Is there any infrigement in using software screen shots to describe procedure in a tutorial manual ?

Thanks for you help !

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
The former's usually okay, so long as you aren't trying to pass it off as official, or in any way associated with the company, and nobody would draw that conclusion from it. The second: no, you're fine. Nobody sues over screenshots.

Timinator

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.timothytrimble.com
Just be sure to mention, in the book, that the product is the property of said company. Such as:

"Microsoft Word, Office, Windows, XP, are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the US and/or other countries."

I also usually add:

"All other trade names and trademarks are the property of their respective owners."

That usually covers all bases.

dot-dot-dash

..-
Registered
Reaction score
I needed permission for some screenshots that contained copyrighted graphics. There was no trouble getting that permission, they were quite chuffed, but you should bear in mind the content of a screenshot may well require permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.