Mama Jude's Pep Talk

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, Z. And yeah, I've gotten to the point of 'I write for myself if nothing else.' I too experience it as great therapy.

MsD: yes, post something in SYW and then visit the coffeeshop. I'll certainly crit.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Good for you, Zelenka. And good luck with the kitties. It sometimes takes a while before feline equilibrium re-establishes itself.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sobbing though I am here to share rejection--the nicest one of my entire writing career. I have been extremely dizzy lately. The return of my vertigo and tinnitus makes me unable to write/revise properly, so I submitted out a couple shorts that I had written just as exercises or warmups before the symptoms came back.

This one was to an online reading service most of you have heard of. It doesn't pay much but does pay so it seemed a good match for my first horror submission without breaking the commitment to myself to write only if paid (except book promos). So I wanted to share the bad-goodness.

Dear Lucie Smoker,

Thank you for your submission to (redacted). I regret to inform you that we are unable to use it at this time.

There is a great deal of information in this vignette that captures a history quickly. For this to be a story, though, we need to get deeper into the character and the context. Right now she is just a woman with dishes and a dead man. What are her emotions? What is her personality? Her memories. Her hopes. Help us know her better.
-- (name redacted)

This story has a great voice. Casually gruesome. I especially love how her husband "accidentally" died by choking on a bone she "put" in the meatball and that it was coupled with her smothering him with a couch cushion--excellent little bit of characterization of her and her personality in those few lines. But I have to agree with Jenn, this is really more of a vignette than a complete story. Besides this, stories about spouses killing spouses is a very common plot we see here at (redacted) and it takes something that really puts a fresh spin on it in order to make it to publication.
-- (name redacted)

There is great potential in this. The blending of the mundanity of having to do the dishes with the profundity of committing murder works disturbingly well, bringing out a kind of insanity in the narrator who obsesses over such a small thing in the face of her act. However this also brings a certain humanness to her character, for we realize that she is not truly a murderer, though she has killed her husband. She has killed out of desperation, for the sake of her own freedom, and I think the juxtaposition allows us to understand this.

What I think would improve this piece is if it were a little bit longer, so that the character development could be allowed to flourish a bit more. This woman is interesting. She is complex, yet absolutely simple, and this is what fascinates me. I would like her to be explored. I would also have liked for her husband's cruelty to be explored a bit more, because I didn't feel I got a very strong sense of the kind of oppression the narrator has suffered.

Overall, a well written piece, disturbing and weird, all in the name of pretty decent literature. Well done.
-- (name redacted)

Unfortunately due to the insanely massive amounts of submissions in our slush pile, we cannot reconsider your piece at this time.
We wish you good luck in placing the story elsewhere.

Sincerely,
(redacted)​

After this rejection, I feel awesome. There is still kindness and a love of story in this industry,

Lucie

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Lucie, I'm so sorry to hear about the resurgence of your symptoms, and about the rejection. However, those are some good things to hear. :)

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Lucie, I have zero experience with rejection letters, having never submitted anything yet for publication. But these comments seem to have some very nice things to say about your piece. Makes me wish I could read it.

Very sorry to hear about your vertigo and tinnitus returning, and my very best, best, best wishes that you will feel better soon.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lucie, I also have zero experience with rejection letters, though I have ambitions to fix that some day. :D

When I've interviewed for a job, the worst possible feedback afterwards is "silence". The next worst is "no, just no". A few places gave me honest feedback on why I wasn't a fit, and whether I agreed with it or not, at least I understood why they said no.

"No" is never fun. It stinks, and I imagine it stings when it's a rejection of something you've poured energy and enthusiasm into. But "no" from this one doesn't mean it's bad -- clearly they don't think it's bad -- it just means it didn't fit their "slots". I'm sure it's good, and will find a proper "home" that appreciates it.

And frankly, yes; aside from the "no", their letter is really quite complementary. You know they didn't need to say any of it, and wouldn't if they didn't mean it honestly.

Still, :Hug2:.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Lucie.

Yes, an extremely nice rejection letter. Though the kicker, I think is saying not to re-submit. Too bad.

Also, terribly sorry to hear of the returning symptoms.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Lucie,

It was a very decent rejection indeed! Believe me, I've had much worse. The very cool thing is that you have all these great bits of advice for it, and there are other places to submit. Go for it!

I am sorry about your illness. I do not experience tinnitus, but know first hand the horrors - and complete incapacitation - of vertigo. My doctor said there is a drug that may work - mine goes away after a short time, so I do not have it or know what it might be - but it works on the receptors of the inner ear crystals that are the things that break loose and cause vertigo. Anyway, it's worth it to keep looking for treatments for it. Absolute stillness seems to help mine, but with the attention span of a gnat, it's hard!

Best of luck, and I love the bits of your story that came through in that rejection!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I appreciate your support, Intro, onuilmar and Kate. The vertigo is something my surgeons and neurologists have to figure out. I had brain surgery about ten months ago but if this is a second tumor, another surgery isn't a good option. Brains don't handle second operations very well. Meanwhile writing is painful, most impossible. My manuscript sits 3/4 revised yet truly not ready to send to the publisher. With my judgement impaired, ?i don't know if it's any good or not. I feel like I'm losing everything I had begun to build as a writer and wonder if my ability and voice will survive,

This rejection really did brighten my day. Your support too. Thanks.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate your support, Intro, onuilmar and Kate. The vertigo is something my surgeons and neurologists have to figure out. I had brain surgery about ten months ago but if this is a second tumor, another surgery isn't a good option. Brains don't handle second operations very well. Meanwhile writing is painful, most impossible. My manuscript sits 3/4 revised yet truly not ready to send to the publisher. With my judgement impaired, ?i don't know if it's any good or not. I feel like I'm losing everything I had begun to build as a writer and wonder if my ability and voice will survive,

This rejection really did brighten my day. Your support too. Thanks.

Scary times. Here's hoping the vertigo isn't linked to anything nasty.:Hug2:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That was about the prettiest rejection I've ever seen. Congratulations on touching your audience, wonder, but sorry about the rejection!

And I hope they pinpoint the vertigo issue for you soon, and everything is benign.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs Wonder. Sorry it's a rejection but I'm glad it was at least a decent one. Best of luck for the next submissions. You're a great writer so I'm sure someone will have the sense to realise that. :)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks vagough. I don't know how I missed your note the last time.

Mark, it was shard of chicken bone and he eats like a hog. Once he started choking, she finished him off. I did enjoy coming up with the details on it. Horror is a special talent that I'm working to acquire. Not to become a horror writer but to darken some of the darker spots in my books.

Muse, liz and Zelenka, I so appreciate your kindness which is such a comfort just now. One side-effect of the vertigo is not getting out much. When I do, I tend to have off-kilter reactions to things and offend people.

I just wanted to add that this truly did brighten my day, kinda starngely for a rejection, which is why I wanted to share it.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Lucie, I'm so glad it made you feel better. When I get rejections, I tend to delete the forms and just check the agent off the list. But the rejections that are helpful, I keep. I agree, that response took time and if they didn't think you were worth it, they'd have just passed and left it at that. I hope they get to the bottom of your vertigo, too.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I Need Trolls

with axes. Lots of them.

I feel absolutely stuck in the tar on this revision, and I need to SNAP OUT OF IT. I am spending way too much time whining "But this is going to be hard to change!" instead of just sitting down and changing it.

So if anyone has a kindly grandma and/or a smiley-face army they could send my way, I would appreciate it, because this thing isn't going to revise itself. (I know. I tried. It didn't change on its own, not even one word.)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
with axes. Lots of them.

Trolls, you say?

troll-fitness-doll.jpg

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
You can't quit now... I need you to get this thing done and sold so I can tap you up for an awesome cover quote when I sell my book! :D

Seriously, I can send grannies or trolls as required...

... but I reckon you'll be fine. You're a top-draw writer and you've worked hard to get to where you are. I absolutely believe you can push on through. And MegaBook Prime (<--- official title) will be better for it.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:granny:

You can do this. You will do this. This ms will bend itself to your will.

Afterwards, chocolate.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Liz, I am absolutely certain that you can do this! And it will be awesome!

If you're feeling totally fried, it's okay to take a couple days off. We won't tell, and you might feel rejuvenated. Especially if there's pie/cake. :Cake: You are amazing at setting yourself a deadline and sticking to it. A little rest can help get you there. And if you find later that the deadline needs to move a little, that's okay too. I say this as someone who lives on deadlines.

Either way: :Cake:

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
with axes. Lots of them.

I feel absolutely stuck in the tar on this revision, and I need to SNAP OUT OF IT. I am spending way too much time whining "But this is going to be hard to change!" instead of just sitting down and changing it

What helped me most with my first book was realizing that it was my "first" book, not my whole career. I could turn that axed subplot into a short story, give the cut character his own series, etc.

But I fear that this is really something else. A battle with that little voice that keeps saying, "You're not good enough. You're not an author."

Except YOU ARE LIZ! Now start hacking!

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with everyone above. You CAN do this, Liz. You're a wonderful writer.

And listen to Wonder. Unlike we were taught in grade school, these words are NOT engraved in stone. It's okay to rip them up and try over. And over, until it's right. And then it's never right.

But you know what I mean. Nothing sacred is violated if you rewrite.

Lots of warm thoughts coming your way.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
What they said, Liz. I believe in you. You can do it and the words will be all the better for the ripping! (If that sentence even makes sense...)

Good luck! :)