Mama Jude's Pep Talk

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Having a book signing is very impressive on it's own, I believe. Having a chance to autograph something somebody is buying that you produced is awesome. Don't get discouraged, get attention, like HistorySlueth said. No sitting

Shea,
You have a book!!!! It's published, it's for sale, that's the best thing imaginable! And, not only do you get to spend time in a bookstore ( I have 3 little kids and NEVER get to spend time in one) but two complete, random strangers wanted to read something you have written. That's never happened to most of us. Never happened to me.
I'm jealous.
And I want to come too one of your book-signings.
Hugs,
Mark

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Man - do I need this thread today and a hug or two

:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2: Three just because. I'd like to come and force people to buy your book. It is THAT GOOD. They don't know what they're missing!!!

I'm so, so, so incredibly sorry you had this experience. But the day will come, oh yes it will, when you're coming to Circle Books here in St. Armand's and me and all my Stepford Wife friends will come line up and get your autograph. I believe in you, shea. You are such a good writer with such good ideas and you WILL make it! :Hug2:

Oh - I just realised I can't camp here because I don't write thrillers and mysteries.... But you know what, it could be worth changing genres, just for the company....

Mccardey, dear, you camp out all you like. We love other genres too. Check out our 500 words/day thread for support and encouragement, or if you need more of a kick in the rear, the Challenge thread. It's a good, supportive group. Everyone's welcome! What do you write? Tell us about you. And :Hug2: just for stopping in. :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I knew I came to the right place for a pick me up- you guys are the best- the very very best-
I know I have been so lucky getting my book out there and published- I haven't forgotten that- but this- this whole putting yourself out there thing is harder than writing ten books-But you're right Mark- two people have my book today that didn't yesterday and that is awesome!

I loves you Mama Jude and everyone in this thread- you went and made me all weepy-

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I don't care if I ever sell another book and I don't ever want to do this again (But I have another siging at a Barnes and Noble next weekend:(don't wanna go)
Well, even if they don't want your book, you can still welcome customers to the bookstore, because you are an attraction for that store, and what else are you doing with your time?

You can ask them about their reading interests, recommend other books for them to read, enjoy your time with them and just generally add to the attraction of being among books and people who love books, and make people feel special. And the bookstore people will be glad you're there and the customers will be glad you're there and who knows -- you might sell a book or two more, too.

I say this as a person who once had to help a woman I barely knew sell her crap from a garage to complete strangers. It's not hard to make people welcome and valued and not worry about selling crap to anyone -- the folk in this forum are nice to each other all the time, just cos they wanna be. If we can do it in writing, we can do it face-to-face too. :)

As an author you've read a lot, and you know a lot, and you know what makes books good and you're worth more to people than you may realise -- with or without some books on a desk. :)

Shoulders back, chin up, Shea. Be proud of what you've done, and be glad of what you can do for people.

And yay you for publishing too! :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
*Hugs Shea* I sent you a PM, but I'm gonna give my vote of support here, too. If I was in the area, I'd definitely come and buy a book! My vote is just to chat with people if you can. If you're shy like me that's not the easiest thing in the world, but if you don't think of it as trying to convince people to buy your book, and instead just see it as chatting with people walking by, it might help. Some people are just going to be jerky (depends on where you are, too) and be all "ew why's that weird person talking to me" but that's their loss. But I've noticed a lot of times even something like "Wow, nice weather today, isn't it?" or "Hey I read that book and loved it," or something might help.

Not sure if that helps any.

Kaitie, who would certainly come to your book signing and cheer you on. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine - much better at this than I was - arranged for her family and friends to turn up in two's and threes throughout the morning. That way they could form a little queue in front of the signing table, and once the queue has formed, people are likely to notice it (and even join it - hey look! Book-signing!!!). I don't remember if she had them carry a copy of her book in and flash it around, or perhaps even pre-arranged for them to buy one at the shop (family will do that sort of thing) but the main thing was to orchestrate a little queue now and then.

They could just chat quietly or whatever - there's no rush, usually about local book signings....

It worked for my friend and it's absolutely what I plan to do next time.....

Also - don't know if you've called your local paper, but they're usually happy to send a photographer round to a signing. Basically anything tht attracts attention might be useful :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's a really good idea!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the good feelings and excellent advice- mccardy- that is very cool advice! I'm not sure if I can arrange that for the siging at B&N this coming weekeknd (the 24th) I already used my friends and family for another event I had in feb- so I don't want to abuse them:tongue

My 11 year old daughter wants to go with me- she is an avid reader and could easily occupy her time just browsing and she considers herself my little helper;) what a sweetie-

I was going to bring donuts for the staff and I will try to relax- but I get that tight feeling in my chest and I start to sweat - arrrgg- I had no problems at the meet and greets at the two libraries and the book club I spoke at- they were fun- but this is different- but I will try to remember that even if I don't sell anything I accomplished something just by being there! (I'll keep repeating that!)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if there are people here who live in your city who could stop by too? I'm pretty sure most of us frequent bookstores anyway. ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there in spirit, shea. Imagine me over in the corner, waving madly and giving the thumbs-up. I'll do things to make you giggle, too, like make eyeglasses out of my fingers and poke fun at random passers-by (not the ones who buy your books though).

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'll be there in spirit, shea. Imagine me over in the corner, waving madly and giving the thumbs-up. I'll do things to make you giggle, too, like make eyeglasses out of my fingers and poke fun at random passers-by (not the ones who buy your books though).

Oh! Me too! Me too! Only without the cold I currently have. And twenty-five pounds lighter.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doughnuts (I'm Australian - that's just how we spell it) are a terrific idea, but an 11 year old is the best idea in the world. What a lovely thought!!

Do remember the whole book-signing this isn't a popularity test or anything - it's just a marketing strategy. Keep saying "It's just a marketing strategy" under your breath. Don't get suckered into thinking it's your job to sell all your books while you're there - you're there because being there might help. You've already written the book!! - turning up for a signing is extra, and it's you being nice, not you being responsible for any copies left on the shelves... Try to enjoy it. No, really ;) And do take the 11 year old - she'll be company and distraction and besides, she can hover around at your table like a dear little Queue :)

It occurs to me that a special thread alerting (ok, summonsing) AW people to AW Booksignings might be an excellent idea....? Do we have one of those? I'll expect all of you to fly down to Australia if I have to do another one...... ;)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh look -

Do you know what time it is down here? It's before coffee time, that's what it is....

thread. THREAD. not threat.

**sigh**

Everyone's a critic, aren't they?

;)

I fixed it myself. I'm getting cleverer by the minute.... :)

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Did someone say threat? :sword (I'm always looking for an excuse to use the banana with the sword. He's seriously scary.)

Shea, don't stress out! (I'd be hiding under the table, but when was the last time they vacuumed under there?) You're just going to hang out, chat with some people, and get as much from the opportunity as you can for future writings. :D

And where exactly in Wilkes-Barre? It's a hike for me, and I currently have something scheduled for April 24, but if that changes... my car does need some exercise. It's getting a little soft around the middle.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I love that evil banana! Thanks namatu! It's the B&N at the arena hub -near Mohegan Sun arena.

Do you think putting some rum in a coke bottle would be bad while I'm greeting people?:e2drunk:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should mix margaritas right there at your table!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
But she writes YA! Okay, kidding, kidding. Couldn't resist a tease. :)