Historical accuracy

Heatherwebb_writes

My time machine is roaring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherwebb.net
I think both of them turned out to be exciting characters, and I had a lot of room to work with particularly the "exiled" one. She's mercurial but true to the core knowledge, courageous within her definite context, and charismatic and maddening all at once.

Sounds fabulous. I'd love to read your work!

Heatherwebb_writes

My time machine is roaring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heatherwebb.net
I thought you might be referring the the French, but actually Article 9 of the Declaration of the Rights of Man (put in place in 1789) states: Prior to that one of the Ancien Regimes abuses was indeed lettres de cachet, but the French position has been as stated since 1789.

Article 24 of the Constitution of the Kingdom of Spain also states,

Again, Franco's regime would not have adhered to that in spirit, I'm sure, but I've no idea what the letter of the law then said.

Thank You, Sirius. I've actually read the Rights of Man and am familiar with the Spanish law as well- that is why I mentioned them specifically. The law and the reality of how the law is executed are two very different animals.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
In one of the Outlander books, Claire shaves her legs and Jamie's reaction is a puzzled "why did you do that? what was wrong with them before?" In another scene where he tells her she's getting fatter and means it as a compliment. The beauty ideals of the 18th century were rather different than those of today. :)
Outlander isn't genre romance. And Claire waxes her legs. ;)

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
What these wretched Historical Romances fail to do is show the dreadful cost to a women who stepped outside the accepted boundary.

And what many historicals fail to show is the racist, xenophobic, and 'I am God' attitude of the male MC. I think John Biggins is one of the few I've read recently who does give an accurate portrayal of the 19thC male mind!
This is one thing that is very rarely touched on in historical romance and if it is, it's completely glossed over. A single scene, a bit of an address to the issue, and someone's sparkling wit and charm wins everything over.

Historical romance readers, for the most part, claim to want accuracy, but I think if they actually got it, they'd hate it.

Sirius

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You, Sirius. I've actually read the Rights of Man and am familiar with the Spanish law as well- that is why I mentioned them specifically. The law and the reality of how the law is executed are two very different animals.

As it also is in the UK and the USA.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Sounds fabulous. I'd love to read your work!

I need to apologize for coming back to this late - I've been offline for about a week, painting my kitchen and doing some legwork before starting a new job tomorrow (*squee!*). But thank you so much!

Hopefully, as I get back into the querying process, someone will come along who'll snap it up, sell it, and you'll have a copy easy to come by! :)