Offset Printers for Conventional Self-Publishing

Greenwolf103

Thank you! Very helpful list!

I'm working with a printer now for my poetry chapbook. Their charge to print a book is MUCH cheaper than Kinko's! I'm so glad I took the initiative to decide to go with a printer instead. It's not that I'm being cheap or anything, but at a book that's only selling for $4, I'd like to have a better profit than just $1.50.

tcnixon

$4

Have you thought about selling your book for more than $4 or is that really what the market will bear for poetry books? It seems a shame given the amount of blood, sweat, and tears that can be involved in writing poetry.

Both my traditionally published books retailed for $14.95 and I will be selling this independently published book for the same. Granted, many more pages, I suspect.

Tom Nixon
--
The SmallPress Blog
www.smallpress.typepad.com

Greenwolf103

Re: $4

Hi, Tom,

I set up a method for pricing the books. The book ended up being longer so of course the price went up (I sell it for $6 each but the site listing it has the book at $5.89). I'm okay with it; it's a small booklet, despite the number of pages.

I don't want my poetry books to be expensive. Part of the reason why I chose to self-publish them is to avoid inflated prices for the books. That's just me. :)

Here's the book: Topiary Dreams

--Dawn

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but...

....can someone tell me what an "offset" printer is? Thank you.

karunesh

Book Publishing

Offset printing charges herein India for 80-100 page book will cost $500 for 200 copies. Shipping included to deliver the book. Front and back cover in color 300 GSM Innside pages 90 GSM. Request sample copy from me.

JimMastro

New Kid On The Block
Registered
Reaction score
Reputable offset printer

For anyone interested, I used McNaughton & Gunn to print my self-published novel, and they did a great job for a great price. I shopped around, and they were the most reasonable.

FYI, if you self-publish, it is hard to be taken seriously and make sales with a low-quality product or POD. If you're going to do it, you should do it right. Anyway, that is both my humble opinion and my experience.