Book about my son's experience in a spica cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwantalibrary

Registered
Reaction score
Due to some recent questions I've been asked about my son's experience in a spica cast after falling out of a second story window, I've considered writing about that experience. The information they give parents at the hospital for spica casts is very limited and doesn't usually help in real life situations. While I'm sure the hospital's mean well, the info they give isn't helpful. If I were to write a short book on what we went through and the tips I'd give to help other parents with children in spica casts, what would be the best avenue to get it published? I know it's a very limited market, but I haven't been able to find any books on the subject that aren't written like a medical text book by someone who's never experienced what one is like, so I think it might be a helpful book. I know I would have loved to be able to find out suggestions from someone who had actually gone through the experience when my son was in his cast.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Someone in my local writer's group wrote a parent's guide to dealing with medical issues in children after she couldn't find any existing material to help. I can't remember off-hand what condition she was focusing on, but IIRC it had to do with hip problems. She got the book published and I believe is working on another.

I'll try to look up the info about where the book is available. But yes, there's a market for such guides. You're not the only parent out there looking for easily understandable answers.

Iwantalibrary

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. That was good to know. She used a self publishing company. I've wondered if that might be the avenue I'd have to take.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
For something as narrow as a topic is as living with a spica cast, this is one of the rare occasions I recommend self-publishing. While Dog Ear might have worked for that author quoted above, I would personally suggest you look into lulu. It might be a better deal for you in the long run.

OTOH, you could always check your local bookstore shelves and browse the medical section. Who knows? There might be a small commercial publisher that publishes this sort of thing.

Giraffe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ibdbook.com
As others have mentioned, it's a very narrow topic and therefore probably would not get placement in bookstores or interest from a commercial publisher. However, is there a professional association to which the subject might be relevant? An association of pediatric orthopaedic nurses, for instance? An organization that runs a support group for such children? A children's hospital? I would think about writing this in the form of a booklet or PDF and see if relevant associations/support groups would make it available through their Web sites. The other thing you could do is write an article and try to get it placed in an appropriate professional journal (I mean one of the less scholarly types, that focuses on helping people such as nurses deal with day-to-day patient issues). Some of them include patient information pieces that are meant to be photocopied and given to patients (or parents of patients, in the case of children).

Status
Not open for further replies.