Books Containing Character Experiencing "Unexpected Responsibility"

CommonReactor

Rediscovering my creativity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goodbyesunhellomanchester.blogspot.com
I'm writing a YA book where the MC starts off in her high school senior English class discussing a book they've had to read over the summer. I was hoping to find a book where the main character experiences an unexpected responsibility that they are forced to live up to. Nothing comes to mind at the moment. It's been so long since high school, I can't remember anything we read. Preferably the female of the book being suggested would be female, but not essential.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
All I can think of is Fanny Price in Austen's Mansfield Park. That might be because I misread responsibility as respectability!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
'Where the Lilies Bloom' by Bill Cleaver. 14 y.o. mountain girl, Mary Call tries to keep her siblings together after the death of their parents.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
Tess of the D'Urbervilles comes to mind. She has to go to work to support her family because her drunken father won't. Lousy ending, though.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
If you want another YA novel referenced, Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt has a teenage girl trying to take care of all her younger siblings while they cross the country to find another relative, after their mother abandons them. Great book, and it's a massive sudden responsibility on the protagonist that comes out of nowhere for her.