Books on Writing Romance

BeluvdLily

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you have a favorite or ultimate book that you prefer about writing a romance novel? There seem to be a lot out there but I'd like to get my hands on one that is actually useful. Any recs would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the Julie Beard one (this one's older) and the Angela Knight one.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
How to Write a Romance for Dummies by Leslie Wainger.

Wainger was an editor for Harlequin for over 20 years. She really knows what she's talking about. Plus, she's a nice person.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
How to Write a Romance for Dummies by Leslie Wainger.

Wainger was an editor for Harlequin for over 20 years. She really knows what she's talking about. Plus, she's a nice person.

I was just going to say that one!

Very good book imo. Really crystallises what makes a romance ( as opposed to other genres) work.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Writing Romances: A Handbook by the Romance Writers of America by Romance Writers of America (Organization), Rita Gallagher, and Rita Clay Estrada (Hardcover - Mar. 1997)

Because I'm quoted in it :)

I agree with the reading of books on craft that are not genre specific and then learning about the specifics from reading widely in the genre and networking with others writing it.

annie jones
http://ishowerwiththemostinterestingpeople.blogspot.com/

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
There's one called Something like 'Writing tthe Great American Romance Novel" by Catherine Lanigan. It was pretty helpful for me in most regards, but I found the chapter on the love scene unhelpful. She gave an example from one of her novels, but didn't go into what to avoid, such as purple prose and body pats operating on their own (lol). In fact, I found the "writing love scenes" section of the Uncle Jim's Guide, right here on AW FAR more helpful in that regard.

Saba

Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Julie Beard's book and On Writing Romance by Leigh Michaels. They've both been pretty helpful so far.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
If you're aiming at Harlequin/Mills and Boon, Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide is a brilliant resource. It's had several editions keeping it up to date with what the editors are looking for.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I will have to check some of these out. The only one I have read, and I am not sure it completely fits, is Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches Guide to Romance Novels.

It is geared more towards readers than writers, but it was funny and actually helpful in how not to write a romance novel. It spoke of tropes and cliches and euphemisms. It was a fun book.