Suprime Commander 2: Zoombie's FIRST IMPRESSIONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The main menu has a proud Cybran flag flying, all tattered like.

Me, I hate Cybrans. Up with the UEF!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
First thing's first, jack the settings up and turn off V-synch. Done. Starting the tutorial. I like the look so far, though the music is a bit bland.

Remember back when TA came out and Jeremy Soul made fucking awesome orchestral music? Why can't he seem to do that any more?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So far, the explosions are better, the game runs faster, looks better, and the GUI is lightyears better.

This is good.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't less impressive until you made this thread, therefore it is not an excuse, HAH! XP

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Now, I have a problem.

Supreme Commander 2 and Bad Company 2 are both available on steam for the same amount of money and both look incredibly awesome and I can only afford one.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
The new interface seems vastly superior. It would be nice to get a sense of the relative health levels of your forces in an area from the big view, but I"m not above zooming in for a quick scan.

Liking the tech tree.

Boats don't feel quite as silly as they used to. Battleships now feel like battleships. I like that you need spotters, though I'd kill for a stealth plane or recon drone of some type.

The story is silly, but really it's just an excuse for a fight. A couple of bucks thrown at a writer would have improved it. That said, meh. You don't need to win a Pulitzer to yell Mortal Kombat.

Overall, I like it. I'll probably wait for a Steam special before picking it up.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up getting Bad Company 2.

Its rather like Modern Warfare 2 with all of the suck and fail removed and replaced by win, awesome and funny.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
In other words, they threw money at a writer?

One has to wonder why that doesn't happen more often in games. Probably for the same reason fiction markets are so glutted with crap. Everyone THINKS its easy.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The plot is standard B-grade action fluff.

But here's the thing: CHARACTERS!

IT ACTUALLY HAS CHARACTERS! People you're actually interested in seeing to the end!

Also, I love the constant jabs at Modern Warfare 2.

"We can't let the Army know! If we tell them, they'll send in Special Operations pussies with heartbeat monitors strapped to their guns!"

###

"Man, if I was on my snowmobile, I'd have beaten you guys."

"Snowmobiles are for pussies, man!"

Also, despite the fact that this game actually has MORE sci-fi tech than Modern Warfare 2, the plot is still more sense-makey and entertaining and...believable.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Is the title supposed to read Supreme Commander 2 or Subprime Commander 2?

Because if it's the latter, then you definitely have financial geeks a-titter.

jckkeith

Registered
Reaction score
I played the demo, and found it a mixed bag. It doesn't have the same cold, gritty feeling of Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation. The graphics in SC2 are better in some ways but worse than others. I like the interface a little better, but I feel like I am ordering around toys instead of killing machines. The campaign voice acting was horrific in the demo as well- but the campaigns in SC1 and TA weren't really worth playing anyway and I don't expect SC2 to be any different.

SupCom was one of my fav games of the last couple of years, but I must say that even in that version your units were like little toys. Sounds like not a lot has changed, so I guess that means I'll pick it up when it goes on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.