I think I'll stay away from used books...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Word Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought 2 used books from someone on eBay.
I couldn't wait to read them.
The seller descibed them as being in Very Good condition.
I got the books and they were actually revolting.
It appears that the last person to read them did so while eating cheese doodles or something, because the pages have a crusty, orange stain on them near the bottoms where he'she held the book open while reading.
<shivers>
Maybe it's time for a Kindle.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Go to used book stores and book swapping setups instead. You can check out the book right there in the store.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest that too. In the next town over from us here, there is a local market every Saturday with a stall selling second hand books. They're all in pretty good condition too.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
Used bookstores are great for relatively common stuff, but I can see why you'd want to buy on ebay if you are looking for rare/older volumes. I've thought about using ebay to buy Kip Farrington non-fiction, but I never have. I guess the best thing to do is look at the sellers' ratings and only buy from those who are judged reputable by other buyers. Don't hesitate to bomb this guy and give him a bad review. I'd also write him a nastygram to let him know you're thinking of him....

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you had that happen. I order used books through the amazon site and they are in brand new condition. (Like someone only read them one time new.) The savings is really something too. I would not get to read much if it were not for that part of the site. The few that I have paid full first time cash for are few because of the costs.

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I'm sorry.

I always buy unused books, I hate sharing them at all. Even with my friends.

Starhorsepax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starhorsepax.com
I think I'd only buy online if it was an old favorite I couldn't get any other way. I'd also check the seller reviews.
I worry more about SMELL! They may be smelly even if they look good. Some are kept in moldy basements (I'm trying to rid some of mine of this. It's possible, but time consuming.) And some may have come from a smoker, which can be a special problem if you have allergies or something. :(
It can be an insidious problem. You can see the nasty stains. But smells one doesn't always notice until one has been reading for awhile.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The obvious question: Have you complained to the seller that the books were not in the condition s/he represented? Many will accept returns or exchanges. Most people really aren't trying to screw with buyers, simply have different opinions on what the various conditions really mean.

Let the seller know of your dissatisfaction and what you would like him/her to do about it. It can't hurt to ask.

Maryn, utterly practical

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say it but when you buy from other people over the internet, you have to realize that stuff like this might happen. It's why you should always check seller feedback, and even then know that you might not get what you were hoping for. This is the advantage of the used bookstore over the internet, you can see the physical product you are going to buy before you pay for it.

You should contact the seller and let them know you are dissatisfied and that you disagree with the condition they stated the book was in.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Why would anyone buy used books from a seller they've never met? Buy new books, or go to a used bookstore, or visit your local library and save a ton of money.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd only buy online if it was an old favorite I couldn't get any other way. I'd also check the seller reviews.
I worry more about SMELL! They may be smelly even if they look good. Some are kept in moldy basements (I'm trying to rid some of mine of this. It's possible, but time consuming.) And some may have come from a smoker, which can be a special problem if you have allergies or something. :(
It can be an insidious problem. You can see the nasty stains. But smells one doesn't always notice until one has been reading for awhile.

I don't think anything in the world smells better than a musty old book.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
When I've got the cash, I'll go for new, but lately I've rarely got the cash. ;)

I find Amazon's Marketplace is good for used books. I have yet to buy an icky book, anyway. :)

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com

I haven't had to do this myself, but I've HEARD that if you place the book in a ziploc bag with a bit of baking soda for a few days, it will take the smell out without damaging the book.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had issue with buying used books on EBay. I would chaulk this one up to you dealing with a crappy seller.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... have encountered stains in library books I've taken out. One honestly looked like vomit. So consider yourself lucky in just coming across cheese doodle stains. I used to purchase used books at a used bookstore by me, till it went out of business. Neat shop. Miss it. Had a nice classics section.

Word Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
A used book store would be great. But the closest used book store is about 100 miles away, believe it or not.
This transaction is the first bad one I've had. I buy used books all the time, but this one was horrible.
Yes, I did send them back and was promised a quick refund.
Oh, and as far as library books go, I have found some nasty surprises between those covers, too.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I've never bought anything off ebay and have no urges to ever buy anything off it. Not sure I trust it all that much. I'm more of a 'touch before you buy' kind of guy, me. Oh, and I love the spell of a new book in the morning. I loved the new book smell as a kid. Couldn't get enough of it. It was like a drug. Can't believe how many books stores I was thrown out of for smelling the books :D

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Ebay can be great but on occasion you will come across a bad seller.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Why would anyone buy used books from a seller they've never met? Buy new books, or go to a used bookstore, or visit your local library and save a ton of money.

Because there isn't a used book store for miles?

Because they dont have the rare books I am after?

Because they are cheaper online?

I mean, really, if online sales were that useless alibris and a good portion of ebay wouldn;t exist. As with any product, if a book is faulty I return ot for a refund. If the vendor refises I open an ebay case. I have had to do this a sum total of twice and always got my refund. Meanwhile I have a cupboard full of antique books, many of which I paid a few dollars for (shelve value in a used bookstore, $50 and up).

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Because there isn't a used book store for miles?

Because they dont have the rare books I am after?

Because they are cheaper online?

I mean, really, if online sales were that useless alibris and a good portion of ebay wouldn;t exist. As with any product, if a book is faulty I return ot for a refund. If the vendor refises I open an ebay case. I have had to do this a sum total of twice and always got my refund. Meanwhile I have a cupboard full of antique books, many of which I paid a few dollars for (shelve value in a used bookstore, $50 and up).

But often on EBay I find things are not worth returning since I am the one having to pay to re-ship the item etc. Thank God, my bad experiences have been like two in over two hundred transactions.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I worry more about SMELL! They may be smelly even if they look good.
O-o-o, I love stinky old books. I love the smell of age. I love that many many people have already read and enjoyed them. I've always had good luck with buying used books on Amazon, some real old beauties too.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Ebay is always a gamble. I bought a gardening book I was after that was described as 'like new, except it doesn't have the dustcover'. After I received it, I sent the seller a message that I wasn't aware that they were selling new books with chapters full of yellow highlighter and blue ink underlining.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chapters/Indigo has a really good used section online as well. I've bought both books and audiobooks with no problems.

Only ever bought one thing off E-bay. It arrived broken, and was replaced free by the seller as soon as I sent her a picture of the breakage.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com

Because they live in a country where the language is different and the cheapest AND easiest way to buy a book is online.

To the OP, I feel for you. I have an annual book budget and when I reach it, I switch to second hand books, and this hasn't happened to me yet (but one book had an entire page of hot chocolate or something spilt on it...thankfully not every page!).

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The used books I get from Amazon and other online sites are usually out-of-print research tomes I'm not likely to find in local book stores. I've never had problems. In fact, for a whopping 75 cents I got a book with an Ex Libris plate of (maybe) historical interest: From the Library of Hubert Humphrey.

Hubert didn't eat Cheese Doodles while reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.