Evidence for God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess we haven't evolved into God yet, and God would be the endpoint--not the beginning.

To mystics, god is both.

More broadly, and this isn't directed at you alone, this discussion is rife with strawmen, but perhaps that is the only possible outcome as atheists convert the mystical terminology theists use into scientific terminology.

Peace.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Any theists of the via negativa want to weigh in?

A good quote from an old friend Dan Berrigan (paraphrased): What does an atheist leave behind? The mystery of incarnation and the incarnation of mystery."

AMC

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
More broadly, and this isn't directed at you alone, this discussion is rife with strawmen, but perhaps that is the only possible outcome as atheists convert the mystical terminology theists use into scientific terminology.
In fairness Diana, some atheists are mystics and some like me are quite skeptical.

Also in fairness, mystics misappropriate scientific jargon for their own rhetorical purposes far more than scientists care to talk about mystical concepts as areas of scientific study. Deepak Chopra's numerous rhetorical misappropriations of science would be an egregious and current example, but they're commonplace in theism -- as in the US example of Intelligent Design.

I can happily ignore mysticism until it purports to give me moral instruction or make predictions about the physical world, and many atheists of a similar stripe feel the same. But when a mystical concept like 'god' is linked to science via a term like 'evidence' there will naturally be discussion as to what the first means and who gets to decide what the second should be. Naturally, skeptical sorts will take an interest.

In scientific discourse, the tradition is that the proposer must come up with unambiguous definitions grounded in physical reality, and the audience gets to set the standards for evidence. In my experience of mystical discourse it's almost the reverse: terms are ill-defined or based on subjective experience and the listener is challenged to explain what they mean, while the speaker gets to claim the standards for evidence. :)

No wonder then if it's hard to find common ground. :D

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In fairness Diana, some atheists are mystics and some like me are quite skeptical.

Also in fairness, mystics misappropriate scientific jargon for their own rhetorical purposes far more than scientists care to talk about mystical concepts as areas of scientific study. Deepak Chopra's numerous rhetorical misappropriations of science would be an egregious and current example.

I can happily ignore mysticism until it purports to give me moral instruction or make predictions about the physical world, and many atheists of a similar stripe feel the same. But when a mystical concept like 'god' is linked to science via a term like 'evidence' there will naturally be discussion as to what the first means and who gets to decide what the second should be. Naturally, skeptical sorts will take an interest.

I respectfully suggest that Deepak Chopra is less a mystic than a salesman.

Skepticism is the most important tool for the mystic, otherwise, religions get started. :)

I didn't mean to only accuse atheists of using strawmen, it works both ways when you straddle the chasm between science and mysticism, and attempt to use the other's terminology. Some seems willful, other perhaps from an improper understanding of the terms.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I respectfully suggest that Deepak Chopra is less a mystic than a salesman.
I respectfully utterly agree with you. :D

I didn't mean to only accuse atheists of using strawmen, it works both ways when you straddle the chasm between science and mysticism, and attempt to use the other's terminology. Some seems willful, other perhaps from an improper understanding of the terms.
I think it's really easy to build rhetorical arguments to demolish them. As an atheist I get quite irate when door-knocking theists tell me what I must think and why I'm wrong. So, my sympathies if you experience that too.

My problem with mysticism is that I don't actually know what mystics think because I can't understand the words. I have no working understanding of 'god' and no mystic has ever been able to explain it in terms that I recognise. I have a partial understanding of 'faith' -- but only in a physical sense (as in 'trading in good faith'). I have no idea how mystical faith differs from (say) a deluded fantasy and how one can tell them apart. When we move into terms like 'afterlife' and so on I'm already lost. I understand that people can make up stories with made-up nouns like 'Borrible', but what I don't understand is why people should treat stories with made-up nouns as real or even possibly real until the made-up nouns can somehow be demonstrated independently.

I suspect that I'm not alone that when I hear mystical dogma, I hear either nonsense or fairytales. It may seem willful, but perhaps my brain is simply wired differently.

wizzy812

Registered
Reaction score
I see too much intelligence in nature. How does a new born spider know it can catch food by spinning a very intricate web? how does it even know there is bugs to catch? How does it know how to build an intricate web? It isn't even the size of a pea and I know that no human with a brain only the size of a pea would have the intelligence to build an intricate fish net and catch food? A toddler is way more intelligent than any spider and yet no toddler in the world would even know how to draw a web let alone build one!!!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that I'm not alone that when I hear mystical dogma, I hear either nonsense or fairytales. It may seem willful, but perhaps my brain is simply wired differently.

Pure mysticism knows no dogma...the experience can not even be properly put into words. Dogma comes from objectifying the subjective nature of mind and its relationship to the universe.

Cheers!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
See, people who believe in God, would say that God made that stuff happen for a reason.

That just doesn't make much sense to me. Why bother with an explanation like God when it's not necessary?

No, you're the one who's is missing something. I could toss in a hackneyed adage here, but that would be piling on.

Err, that doesn't make any sense.

wizzy812

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing is even very simple things can't be created by nature alone. How then does even the simplest life form evolve?

For example: All hardened steal is, is carbon and iron fused together and heated. Both elements are very common elements. Such a simple thing to make. Yet you will never see it, ever, naturally formed by nature!!! Is it easier for all the many amino acids and protiens necesary for the simplest form of life (an ameba) to naturally build a nucleous and mitochondria and endo-plasmic reticulum (poop shute), necesary organs, for life?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
No, you're the one who's is missing something. I could toss in a hackneyed adage here, but that would be piling on.

How is "not making sense" piling on?

I see too much intelligence in nature. How does a new born spider know it can catch food by spinning a very intricate web? how does it even know there is bugs to catch? How does it know how to build an intricate web? It isn't even the size of a pea and I know that no human with a brain only the size of a pea would have the intelligence to build an intricate fish net and catch food? A toddler is way more intelligent than any spider and yet no toddler in the world would even know how to draw a web let alone build one!!!

Well, whereas you see a creator, I see "instinct" and "heredity," ingrained traits passed on generation to generation.

Last edited:

wizzy812

Registered
Reaction score
How is "not making sense" piling on?

Well, whereas you see a creator, I see "instinct" and "heredity," ingrained traits passed on generation to generation.

Of course it's instinct and heredity!!! There's no question about that!!! But how did those extremely simple minded creatures developed such intelligent instincts to pass on to future generations. that I don't see is possible.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Of course it's instinct and heredity!!! There's no question about that!!! But how did those extremely simple minded creatures developed such intelligent instincts to pass on to future generations. that I don't see is possible.

Evolution. Darwin has a theory of natural selection. Those with the trait survived and passed it on to the next generation.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I see too much intelligence in nature. How does a new born spider know it can catch food by spinning a very intricate web?

A lot of problems that humans solve by reasoning and inference seem to be solved in nature by tropisms and simple rules. When humans try to reproduce insect-like behaviour with machinery it turns out that they don't need to know a lot. This is a fascinating area of investigation that spans disciplines like cognition and robotics, and produces areas like ant robotics and robot cockroaches.

wizzy812

Registered
Reaction score
Evolution. Darwin has a theory of natural selection. Those with the trait survived and passed it on to the next generation.

I heard that Darwin eventually rejected the evolution theory. I heard the eye of a peacock feather convinced him evolution wasn't possible.

What I'm guessing you to beleive is that begining with the simplest life form genetics formed into more complicated life forms and because these life forms were more complicated they survived and produced more and more complicated liffe forms that eventually developed very intelligent instincts to future generations.

I tell you making honey out of nector is very smart!!!

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
It's very hard to gain a strong intuition of how genes can innovate greater complexity without experimentation. The way that humans create new design is very different to the way it's done genetically. We tend to design by taking existing components, adapting them and assembling them. But genetic innovation is happy to create bumps and holes and changes in materials and fine-tune them until they become something entirely new -- and for every remarkable success there are countless failures and scads of mediocre intermediaries. It does look marvellous in hindsight and can be very hard to believe because it's hard to understand how the probabilities work.

Unfortunately for theistic arguments, science doesn't take ignorance as evidence. The only evidence we have is stuff we can reproduce. So even if we can't understand evolution or don't like it, by itself that's not evidence for another mechanism.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's very hard to gain a strong intuition of how genes can innovate greater complexity without experimentation. The way that humans create new design is very different to the way it's done genetically. We tend to design by taking existing components, adapting them and assembling them. But genetic innovation is happy to create bumps and holes and changes in materials and fine-tune them until they become something entirely new -- and for every remarkable success there are countless failures and scads of mediocre intermediaries. It does look marvellous in hindsight and can be very hard to believe because it's hard to understand how the probabilities work.

Human discovery does that, too, actually. Many of our "innovations" have happened by complete accident. E.g., the discovery of penicillin.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
For people interested in how random genetic changes can produce smarter and smarter behaviour, here is the demonstration of an experiment in the behaviour of software 'fish', in which each fish has a simple 'brain' that starts off dumb. The brains of later fish mutate slightly, and the better fish survive longer to reproduce. The same sort of thing can occur in physical characteristics too. This area is known as genetic algorithms, and was a related area to my research degree. It's pretty nifty.

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Human discovery does that, too, actually. Many of our "innovations" have happened by complete accident. E.g., the discovery of penicillin.
Yes, but the accidents like the discovery of penicillin or radiation are often not part of programmed randomness as we find in evolution.

They do, in some parts of science, do something like genetic innovation. In chemistry for instance, they will often undertake repeated experiments with just minor changes in reagents -- substituting like for like, for instance. In biology there was an experiment that ran for twenty-five years in which a wild canine (the silver fox) was artificially 'evolved' through deliberate breeding to become 'tame'.

But for many scientific purposes, the experimental cycle is so long and the number of possible experiments so large that 'random' changes to experiments are seldom used. However, in nature where the population of experiments is ridiculously large, randomness is easy to come by, time-frames are unthinkably big and grant-funds don't dry up if you fail, it's a very effective method for innovation. :)

wizzy812

Registered
Reaction score
Evolution isn't a theory. Evolution is a fact. Figuring out how evolution works is the theory part.

Of course evolution is a fact. Forgive me for implying otherwise. But I don't see how it is possible at all for evolution to begin with out a creator to start it. Or how to make it such that it evovles intelligently. Even if there were a hundred trillion universes I don't beleive it is possible for even for the simplest form of life to begin.

It's like steel. It will never occur naturally. It's impossible. Yet it only takes two elements to exist. NOt a whole bunch of protiens and amino acids. Steel is a millions times simpler than an ameoba.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Even if there were a hundred trillion universes I don't beleive it is possible for even for the simplest form of life to begin.
It's fair to be skeptical about such stuff, but such skepticism doesn't support a preferred dogma as an alternative answer, and many scientists would argue that 'magic' is no answer at all.

The topic of how life began is called abiogenesis meaning 'life from nonlife'. It has many competing theories, and some are quite fascinating. There isn't yet a complete working model for how abiogenesis might occur, but there are some very promising partial models with some supporting evidence, and plenty of enthusiastic research.

To my atheistic mind the origin of life is quite separate to the matter of how to live our lives. I don't really understand stories that have a creator who creates everything (the logic of that doesn't take hold in my head) but even confining it to something I can understand (like someone causing life to form on earth), I don't see that as a basis for worship -- perhaps a bit of reverence, but not abject moral servitude.

So my scientific curiosity is vaguely piqued by the origin of life, but the answer doesn't have a big bearing on my sense of conscience. I'm abiogenetically agnostic, but utterly atheist.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
I respectfully utterly agree with you. :D

I think it's really easy to build rhetorical arguments to demolish them. As an atheist I get quite irate when door-knocking theists tell me what I must think and why I'm wrong. So, my sympathies if you experience that too.

My problem with mysticism is that I don't actually know what mystics think because I can't understand the words. I have no working understanding of 'god' and no mystic has ever been able to explain it in terms that I recognise. I have a partial understanding of 'faith' -- but only in a physical sense (as in 'trading in good faith'). I have no idea how mystical faith differs from (say) a deluded fantasy and how one can tell them apart. When we move into terms like 'afterlife' and so on I'm already lost. I understand that people can make up stories with made-up nouns like 'Borrible', but what I don't understand is why people should treat stories with made-up nouns as real or even possibly real until the made-up nouns can somehow be demonstrated independently.

And if mysticism doesn't have to do with God, faith, and the afterlife?

AMC

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
In AA it's not God, it's "higher power". It's nature is left completely open.
Hmm. In looking at the 12 steps where I posted them here:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2539281#post2539281
The word God appears four times in those steps, and the capitalized pronoun Him is used twice.

But maybe you're right. Here's Bill Wilson from the Third Step of the book Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 27:
"This is only one man's opinion based on his own experience, of course. I must quickly assure you that A.A.'s tread innumerable paths in their quest for faith. If you don't care for the one I've suggested, you'll be sure to discover one that suits if only you look and listen. Many a man like you has begun to solve the problem by the method of substitution. You can, if you wish, make A.A., itself your 'higher power.' Here's a very large group of people who have solved their alcohol problem. In this respect they are certainly a power greater than you, who have not even come close to a solution. Surely you can have faith in them. Even this minimum of faith will be enough. You will find many members who have crossed the threshold just this way.
But then there's this from the same book, page 96:
To certain newcomers and to those one-time agnostics who still cling to the A.A. group as their higher power, claims for the power of prayer may, despite all the logic and experience in proof of it, still be unconvincing or quite objectionable. Those of us who once felt this way can certainly understand and sympathize. We well remember how something deep inside us kept rebelling against the idea of bowing before any God.
Hmm, this looks like a bait-and-switch, and the "A.A. group as their higher power" thing was just a "starter God." Apparently when you get to the 11th step, the AA "higher power" really is God.
In psychoanalysis it's the "big other", or in Freudian terms it's the "super ego". The mechanic of AA is to introduce these artificially. A friend who's a psychoanalyst and who has worked with addicts explained the idea behind AA, and why it works. It works for people with a weak super ego. Ie, lacking in discipline, or people who are bad at telling themselves what to do and sticking with it. People are addicts for different reasons. 12 stepping won't work for all addicts.
Geez. Does Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden allow addicts to talk about their drug addiction in meetings? Back when I was going to AA meetings they started reading this Singleness Of Purpose Statement at every meeting, and interrupted anyone who started talking about drugs or drug addiction.

Narcotics Anonymous has been around decades earlier, but but the mix of "alcohlics" and "addicts" became more prevalent as the alcohol-and-drug treatment center industry grew in the US in the 1970's and 1980's, and all those "pure alcoholics" in AA meetings were getting pissed at treatment centers dumping people into any old 12-step fellowship willy-nilly with no regard to their alcoholic/addict self-identification.
Originally when AA was founded the explicit goal was to help addicts by also "saving" them with God. But they stumbled on a secret recipe that can help people, God or not.
So when and how exactly did that change?
That's why it is so popular.
That's interesting. Maybe you can tell us why Scientology is so popular? Scientology doesn't even have the big advantage I posted earlier that AA has, judges sending DUI offendors to them.
In Sweden people are rarely religious. So over here "higher power" is most often interpreted as the addict simply picking a fetish, and treating it with due reverence. In a friends DAA group there's a guy who's higher power is his aquarium fishes. It works for him.
Maybe thats for Sweden, but an object ("nature" or "a doorknob" are classics AA examples) is only a starter God in US AA, as I indicate from the 12&12 quotes above.

I've never heard the word fetish used to describe it - perhaps in Sweden that word means something less "specific" than in the USA. Looking it up, I see it does indeed have a more general meaning but as a citizen of the oversexualized USA, I've never heard fetish used outside the sexual meaning of definition 1c.
I have a few strongly atheistic friends who most likely would have been dead by now if it wasn't for DAA. Their atheism is left quite intact in spite of bowing to a higher power.
How would they have been dead?

I knew several people in AA who committed suicide. I'm convinced most wouldn't have done so had they not been in AA.

Maybe AA is "watered down" in Sweden, which would make sense - if open agnosticism and atheism are as common as you say there, the original USA version of AA would get a poor reception there. Almost certainly, that would explain any change or watering down from the original USA version.

You may be interested in looking at these webpages concerning AA:
http://orange-papers.org
http://peele.net

There's also http://morerevealed.com by author Ken Ragge, but it's not up at the moment. There's a subpage on it, originally an older website, that currently works:
http://www.morerevealed.com/aadep/

Last edited:

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
To mystics, god is both.

Peace.

What was the strawman? Suggesting that it is less likely that intelligence came spontaneously into existence out of nothingness than that matter came into existence out of nothingness and evolved?

Are you saying that intelligence doesn't come spontaneously into existence out of nothing? Really, I'm completely lost. It's not fair to throw terms like "strawman" at someone and not explain yourself. I would never, ever, knowingly use a strawman argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.