Quick snowmobile question

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. There are always the "depends" on the right snow and machine. As with skis and skates, it takes practice. When I snowmobiled in Montana and Idaho, I could only make such an emergency stop to the right. After cutting power and cranking the handlebars right, I leaned far to the right-rear off the seat and straightened the skis. I was never as good or as ambidextrous as some.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Hockey stop. That's right (it's been ages since I ice-skated). And thanks for confirming this (a beta reader questioned the imagery, and I wasn't 100% sure).

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Can a Snowmobile stop like a skier/skater? - a quick sharp curve-stop that sprays snow? (that's the best way I can describe the visual)

Yes ... but they are prone to skidding out at the rear and rolling over when they do, in case you want to. The rear track that propels them doesn 't make sharp turns very easily, and they are top-heavy.

Snomos also don't do well in deep powder snow ... they sink like a rock if they get off groomed ski runs into a drift. (it's always fun to point and laugh)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Point of Information:

There are guys up here to make it a sport this time of year to drive their snowmobiles over short stretches of open water on local lakes and rivers. Many of these people find their snowmobiles under 40 feet of water, once the ice melts. If the Dept of Natural Resources find out, the snowmobilers get charged for pulling these things out of the water. Often, alcohol is involved.