Important question for the ladies...

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
but men can answer to if they give a flying flip.

I have worn short hair since my children were in diapers, but about 6 months ago I decided to try to grow it long. I haven't had a haircut since and now I have an unpolished mop that hangs in my face and is driving me crazy. Oh, and as of last night it is a dark burgundy color. So, today I'm getting it cut, but I can't decide if I want to lob it all off or just get it styled a bit. (Please keep in mind that I have a physical job and am busy enough that I can't spend hours getting ready. I need quick turnaround here.)

I hate going to the salon. I'm terrible at describing what I want. So, I have found a few pics that I'm taking with me. Which would you pick? I'm very undecisive when it comes to fashion type stuffs, because I am just not fashionable. I NEED HELP BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS THAT A WOMAN'S HAIR DIRECTLY EFFECTS HER WRITING!!!

Pfft, and someone said that I never post anything that relates to writing. Stoopid.

Uno:
asianhair33.JPG

Two:
8b51c_pixiecut-shorthair.jpg

C:
short-hairstyles-keira-knightley31.jpg

P.S. I have really thick hair.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I love the top one, but you have to have a really full crown (read: fat head) to achieve that without a lot of fiddling. Really thick hair might stand in for a fat head, though. It's gorgeous.

The second two look like virtually the same cut, but they look different because Rihanna has a long oval or heart-shaped face and Keira Knightly has a more square outline.

I think both are terrific. Good luck!

(Says me whose hairdresser decided to play delicate with his carpal tunnel syndrome and go at my hair with a straight razor instead of a pair of scissors. I look like I wrestled with a lawnmower. And I just ain't cool enough to pull it off. Worse yest, I have to get my driver's license renewed next week, so I'll get to remember this haircut for eight (8!) years.)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first one.

I just took my teenager son to get his hair cut yesterday. He likes the rock star-look, so he had very long, wavy hair down on his shoulders. He came home and told me he wanted to get it cut pretty short. ??? Okay, whatever you want. What a challenge for the hair stylist! But he did get it all lopped off and looks quite nice.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I like the top one the best too. I've just had all of my hair chopped off, well, to shoulder length. It was halfway down my back and peed me off.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Says me whose hairdresser decided to play delicate with his carpal tunnel syndrome and go at my hair with a straight razor instead of a pair of scissors. I look like I wrestled with a lawnmower. And I just ain't cool enough to pull it off. Worse yest, I have to get my driver's license renewed next week, so I'll get to remember this haircut for eight (8!) years.)

I too have had this experience, which is another reason that I really hate going to the salon. I'm not cool or coordinated enough to pull off a hairstyle that requires precision.

Thanks for the input, gurls...but do you think that first one would require a lot of assistance or would it be considered wash-n-wear? (I'm pretty casual most of the time. Think jeans and t-shirts.)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I like the top one. If that makes me a girl, call me Shirley.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Thanks for the input, gurls...but do you think that first one would require a lot of assistance or would it be considered wash-n-wear? (I'm pretty casual most of the time. Think jeans and t-shirts.)

The hardest part of that one will be the height in the back (which you may get naturally by having thick hair) and getting the bottom part to lay close to your neck like that. Gravity, without any confrontation from extra-hold gel, will probably make the hair swing straight down or towards any compass point that your natural waves may point it.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't look good, only that it wouldn't look like that.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gravity, coupled with heavy hair with a cowlick that pushes it forward, pushes my hair directly into my face. Even the hair at my crown hangs forward if not glued in place.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling that by the end of the day it will take a vat of Elmer's glue and an industrial fan to make me presentable. Not that it doesn't already.

I wear glasses too. I don't know if that makes a difference. *googles 'glasses hair'*

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GAH! I googled 'short hair glasses' and this was the first hit.

1961-glasses-short.jpg

Now this I could pull off.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've seen the above pic in my nightmares...

Anyways, voting for picture numero uno. The second one looks too messy.

I'm trying to grow my hair out from very, very short hair that I eventually got into a wedge cut . I have to say, I miss being able to french braid my hair, etc. because it stays out of my face so well...and french braiding takes me less time than trying to dry, fluff, goop, spray, curl...or whatever else I have to do to short hair to make it stay put.

I wear glasses, too. Still dreaming of lasik someday. In my experience, the glasses just advertise my nerd status or, at least, make it more obvious.

What hairstyle goes with glasses? No idea, because I hate glasses so I'm biased from the get-go.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I love women who wear glasses. I've always liked shy nerdy girls.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first one best, too. It also looks like you could go from #1 to cut 2 or 3 if you think #1 is too much work. Going the other way is growing out again, which is always awkward, isn't it?

If I had #1, btw, I'd look like a mushroom because of the thickness and bounce of my hair at that length [I need very short or longer than chin length]. Did you have a mushroom stage growing out your hair? If not, you're cool :D

Good luck :)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I've found long hair much easier to deal with than short. No styling, no bed head to work around, just a ponytail or bun (sometimes without even combing if I'm late for class) and I'm off.

My vote is to tidy the length up and get some good hair ties (the thick ones are better) or sturdy combs to keep it in place - I keep ass length hair confined all day with one 2.5 inch comb.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Innit?

I think its from watching too much pron as a teenager.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for the third one, as a woman who also doesn't do anything but wash 'n go. Right now my hair is a couple inches below my shoulders so I have to brush it. But, the least amount of that possible is my preference.

To get the first one to look right you are going to have to fiddle with it. The third one is a wear 'n go style for sure.

Good luck in your choice.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm voting for first picture. :D It looks good.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Innit?

I think its from watching too much pron as a teenager.

I always thought guys thought glasses on women was a turn-off. It always was in high school. But maybe it was the goofy-looking glasses my parents bought for me. They were pointy, blue glasses. And then I had those really large frames. Too big for someone with a small face. My current glasses are much cooler.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it too late to vote?

If not, I like the 2nd or 3rd photo - they look rather low maintenance to me.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it is done. I opted for #1, but she cropped it a little shorter because she said my hair was "too healthy" for the longer cut. What the hell does that mean? And, why don't they ever say these things before the whack off a two inch chunk of hair? Anyway, the result ended up being kind of a combination of the three. It's short, but long enough that I can shove it behind my ears for work and fancy it up in the off chance I ever go somewhere to eat that doesn't have paper menus and crayons on the table.

BTW ad_lucem, I had lasik 10 years ago. Permanent my ass. ;)

Wayne said pron. Bwahahahahahaha.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gonna post a pic? :poke:

Ummm....no. Just picture burgundy haired schoolboy with bed head wearing red and pink glasses and too much eyes shadow. (As far as glasses go, mine are da bomb. Morel makes some bitchin' frames.)