Remake of We Are the World....

WalpurgisQuill

Registered
Reaction score
Made my ears bleed. I mean, you do NOT NOT NOT put Miley Cyrus and Michael Jackson in the same song. Even if it is to help Haiti. You also do NOT include a new rap section in a classic song.

Whoever´s idea this remake was is going to Hell. Seriously. -.-

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
meh,,....i hear you,...

but they get a pass for doing (or at least trying) to do some good. ;)

Reaction score
Pfft. I despise charity singles. I'd rather donate the money or do something hands-on to help other people.

Trying to do some good? Why don't they fly out there to help? Or do charity work closer to home?

Having said that, if they started a "Pay us to stop singing," drive, I'd soon pony up.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have not been blessed/cursed enough to have heard this yet. Now googling.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As for the song itself, it's pretty bad, but so was the original from a strictly music standpoint. It always got a pass because it was for charity--similar to how it's harder to boo bad singers off the stage at the Apollo when they sing Gospel--but it was always pretty cheesy from a lyrics and instrumentation standpoint. So with this... meh. It's not like it's a butchered remake of "Strawberry Fields" or "Imagine" something, now that would be a travesty...

Reaction score
I haven't heard it either. I'm just looking for a fight. I'm a rebel without a clue.

Seriously, though. I hate charity singles and their inherent "But it's for charidee!!!" guilt trip. They churn out any old crap and expect people to shell out, because, like, think of the children man, think of the children!

Just skip the crappy cover versions of songs that were crappy first time round and donate money if you want, do good, look after your fellow man and all that jazz. Loving your neighbour starts with not making them listen to horrific 'music'.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the video and I'm in agreement with Jcomp. Musically, not something I would ever choose to listen to, but I can't fault people for using their talents to help out.

And I have heard butchered versions of Imagine for charity. A travesty, indeed.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The original was much better. And I was a young chick back then.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
For those who missed it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/33oMh7u9tcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/33oMh7u9tcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
It's not like it's a butchered remake of "Strawberry Fields" or "Imagine" something, now that would be a travesty...

Ugh, I HATE it when people do Beatles remakes. I have yet to hear a remake that wasn't total shite. The only Beatles redo that was any good was the Cirque Love, and that's only because George Martin did it.

MarthaT

Banned
Reaction score
really didnt like that version, but I do applaud them for helping

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
*shrugs* I guess if you go in with the belief you won't like them.... ;)

I would listen and give them a chance. I can just tell you I won't like them because I think anything that changes the song (including even just someone else singing it) ruins it.

My kids love those versions.

That's because they are (I'm assuming) A) kids, and B) not obsessive Beatles fans who were in a Beatles tribute band. ;)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video or heard the song (I'm still disgusted by the first time 'round, thanks), but I've got to ask: Is it just me or is Barbra Streisand the ONLY person always looking straight AT the camera in every PR shot for the song?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the video and have to say, Pink has a truly amazing voice. That's all. Carry on now.

I do agree with this.

Did you see her performance on The Grammy Awards? That was amazing. Apparently she once wanted to be in the Olympics.