Need advice on a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
I've the idea for a book. I've been working on it for about a week, and I have already done a little research and outline. I really like the idea, but I want some advice. I want to know if its sound interesting, or is it a cliché?

My MC is an ex-soldier who has a computer chip installed in his brain. The chip has a female personality. She helps him out of dangerous situations. The setting will be in post apocalyptic period. The story will be dark with some humor. There is some romance, but it's not the focal point. My character is searching for his sister. My target audiences are adults. I don't have many of the details figure out, and I've a lot of questions to ask on this forum. I'll save them for another time.

Marie123

Registered
Reaction score
I've the idea for a book. I've been working on it for about a week, and I have already done a little research and outline. I really like the idea, but I want some advice. I want to know if its sound interesting, or is it a cliché?

My MC is an ex-soldier who has a computer chip installed in his brain. The chip has a female personality. She helps him out of dangerous situations. The setting will be in post apocalyptic period. The story will be dark with some humor. There is some romance, but it's not the focal point. My character is searching for his sister. My target audiences are adults. I don't have many of the details figure out, and I've a lot of questions to ask on this forum. I'll save them for another time.

Hmmm...So, the female computer chip act as a guide for the ex-soldier?...

MercyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I hope you like the idea. I could use some feed back.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Chip inside the head with a female personality? Reminds me of Serious Sam II (where it is lampooned.) Of course, that's the only time I've seen it.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea. But a few questions...

Was the chip put in to help from an injury or as part of a military program?

Why was the chip given a female personality for a male. This may cause him conflicting emotions, which may or may not be part of your overall theme. (IE The man with two brains...one male and one female. Lots of conflict.)

Does he understand the chip has a female personality. What is his reaction? Can the chip over ride his own emotions, or desires, or directions, causing him to feel and do things he normally would not?

This has potential. I can see the humor in it even if the darker side is the search for his sister. Keep working on it and if you have any more questions or need to bounce something off the walls, you can alway message me, or post updates. I may not have the answers, but sometimes its just good to brain storm things through...

MercyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, thothguard51! I may just take you up on your offer. He does know he has a female chip inside his brain. He was force to take part of a government experiment. She can tell if his heart is elevated, and she knows his thoughts. The chip cannot override his emotions, but she's not like the sweet girl next door type. I want her to be more like Al Bundy's wife. I appreciate you guys.

Last edited:

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com

Don't worry. No high concepts are entirely new, the originality is in the execution.

This one that you have sounds like it'll be funny, and also enable you to explore some interesting themes - especially if the chip contains a real personality.

Any love scenes are going to be interesting. And what happens if he meets the original lady who supplied the chip's personality?

There was a movie years back where the hero ended up with the girl's soul stuck in his head. There's also that one about the advertising exec who can suddenly hear the thoughts of women.

MercyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I know I have a lot of fleshing out to do. I have a ton of questions that I'll be asking on this forum. I'm working on the weapons for my character, and I've run into a problem already. I remember that movie with Mel Gibson, zornhau. I thought it was hilarious, and you're right my story will have its funny moments.

Last edited:

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
It's a fine idea in and of itself, but I think it could leave you open to some cliche's that might be less exciting. As has been pointed out already, this idea has been explored (my favorite example is the Steve Martin/Lilly Tomlin movie who's name escapes me). That doesn't mean you should abandon the concept, though. It definitely has potential.

One thing that strikes me is the apparent focus solely on the soldier's situation. If the chip has a personality, then how does she feel about being inserted into a male's brain?

Purple Tulip

Wielding power tools like an Amazon
Registered
Reaction score
Count 4 cattle grates when the pavement ends
Did they run out of male personalities? Or did they think that having a female voice in a soldier's head to nag him about how to get out of dangerous situations was a good idea? Lots of potential here!

The first thing it made me think of was Baltar and Six. The set up was different but still...commonish theme. Then that made me wonder...can he only hear her or can he see her too?

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Mercy, don't worry about any of that junk for right now. All you need to worry about is finishing the book and coming up to those two final words "the end".

Once you finish the book and are working on a rewrite then you can worry about all the technical garbage.

Right now, just write the thing.

You have permission to write crap and it comes straight from James D. Macdonald himself (and I'll gladly give you permission too).

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
The premise sounds good, as does the question.

The only two things you should focus on at this point is finishing the story, and the relationship between the MC and his AI.

I's been said a few times already, but finish the story and come back to us. You'll have a lot more insight on what you need to do and what you need to know once you have.

:D have fun. Because if you're not, you're doing it wrong.

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
As others have said, the idea has lots of potential; just try to avoid overused gender cliches. Also, because this is a personal pet peeve of mine, please do something different/ original with the post-apocalyptic (sp?) setting than the normal "scratching out a meager existence in the rubble of civilization" stuff. My two cents ;)

MercyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate all the good advice. Purple Tulip, I haven't worked all the details out. I know he shot his commanding officer, and he was given the choice of a firing squad or
voluntary to become a guinea pig. The commanding officer had something to do with Jacob's female chip. I'll do my best to come up with something different, Ambri. I like James D. Macdonald advice. Well, I'm off to write the best crap I can.

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The opportunity to really screw with him immediately appeals to me. Maybe he's turned on by her voice, only to discover (much, much later) that the personality is based on his sister. There are so many disturbing ways you can cause him pain with the implant that it's surprising that there isn't more use made of this idea. Bishop in the X-Men comics, Serious Sam and a couple of TV shows - TimeTrax? - come to mind though.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I appreciate all the good advice. Purple Tulip, I haven't worked all the details out. I know he shot his commanding officer, and he was given the choice of a firing squad or
voluntary to become a guinea pig. The commanding officer had something to do with Jacob's female chip. I'll do my best to come up with something different, Ambri. I like James D. Macdonald advice. Well, I'm off to write the best crap I can.

Just remember you've only got half the story. What he's up against will probably define the novel more than the chip in head.

Status
Not open for further replies.