The Line of the Day--NO CRITTING

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
How long would the human race last if octopuses lived a few years longer and figured out how to make shivs from parts of their tanks?

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Would you like a to-go container for the cake you apparently won't be eating?

Hockshop

Registered
Reaction score
“Izzy wove her way across blue grama and buffalo grass pushing through gravelly desert, skirting cactus, but nosing into catclaw and yucca, searching out jackrabbits nestled in hiding places for the daylight hours.”

If you didn't guess, Izzy is a dog :)

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
They had lived here when they were kids, with their young fresh faces in the sun shine. All of their neighbours always said that these two boys were a joy to behold. But then, like a bird floating in the air, as it went to find its prey before nosediving to attack, the clouds went black and it poured rain. Nothing was the same again.

From a short story series I'm writing at the moment. I'm really enjoying this one.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a heart condition, but this is the kind of shit that'll get me one.

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
A family businesses can be insular, warped—there are no checks, no empowered outsiders to sound the alarm when Brother Jim starts basing hiring decisions on whose moon sign happens to be in phase.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Been a while since I last posted here :) My lead character is thinking about doing something really stupid (language warning):

Adrenaline put such dumb-fuck macho bullshit into your head.

[character proceeds to do really stupid thing]

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Been a while since I last posted here :) My lead character is thinking about doing something really stupid (language warning):

Adrenaline put such dumb-fuck macho bullshit into your head.

[character proceeds to do really stupid thing]

Of course he does. It wouldn't be a fun book if he didn't, right? ;)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
This seemed to garner some enjoyment - from the Weekly FFC (password = flashed, NSFW (language) if you click through to read the whole flash fiction piece...)

Basic setup to the line is a drunk guy trying to impress a hooker with his Porsche 911 Turbo:

"...When the passing girl didn’t even give a look back at him in the over-powered vehicle, he tapped on the horn slightly. Still nothing. “Your loss!” he called out callously, “There’s always more fish in the sea than that piece of bass.”

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Two friends are about to go into a clothing optional pool for the first time. One of them is terrified about people seeing her naked. The other tries to reassure her.

"We're going to be the two best looking women out there and they damn well better notice us."

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
There were a thousand bullshit excuses he could have sold her, but he was lying enough just telling her she'd be fine. She wouldn't be. He knew it as deeply as she did.

He held her close, kissed her head, and whispered soothing fiction until she stopped shaking.

I just cut this part out in editing, which is a shame cos I still like this line. RIP, darling.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Another section I like, but just doesn't work in the edit. Darn it.

She pulled the sleep sock off her arm, rubbed moisturiser into the stump. The severed nerves tingled more than usual. Massaged her arm from absent elbow to shoulder, draining the trapped lymph fluid. The tingling decreased. Never gone, just managed. She wiped down the prosthetic arm with antibac, snugged it against the stump. It found the contacts buried in her flesh. Her implant registered the prosthesis and she wiggled the fingers. Bone-white. NLI sold a synthetic skin sleeve, but to her it looked more undead than the factory finish.

Last edited:

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
There's enough garlic in your breath to end Bram Stoker's Dracula in ten pages.