Form Rejection on Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
My first full rejection to boot. Boy did that ever hurt. No indication of what worked or didn't, what they liked, hated or even if they read the whole thing. Oh well. I know agents aren't obligated to let you know, but it still kinda sucks.

Guess that's just the biz.

Last edited:

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, Roly. That does hurt after having the excitement of a full request. It's a tough business. At least you know your query works. Best of luck for the future.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
The agent probably just didn't connect with your work. Hopefully another one will. . .it's disappointing, but keep on going. . .

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Strangely in a way it makes me feel more like a real writer. Like I've gone through some sort of right of passage ;)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Brace yourself for more. They may not come, but they do.

Sorry dude. I got a few of those and they suck.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Byech. My sympathies. The first full R always stings like a mother--and not getting any comments/advice just makes it worse. But keep going--maybe your next full request will yield a better result.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you're going through. But take heart, you will get another full request if you keep putting it out there. I always say that if one saw enough promise in it to request the full, then another agent will too.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks....but if it was good enough to get one full request then it will get more.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Lol hey guys, just got ANOTHER form rejection on a full right as I was reading through your comments. So I'm 0 for 2 in two days. That...doesn't feel good. I mean if someone could just say what they liked or didn't like...instead it was another 'didn't connect with the story', so I guess maybe it wasn't anything technical, just a feeling. I guess I don't want an agent who isn't 100% about the work. Still, this has been a pretty sad weekend.

Happy Valentine's day to me I guess.

You know what? To hell with it. I'm buying chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate. I mean, it's not like I have anything else to do this Valentine's day and what with the rejection onslaught I think I deserve to inhale some sugar :D

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm usually on the side of agents when it comes to most things, I know so many of them and have a great deal of respect for them.

But.

I really don't like this form rejection on a full thing.

I get that it is done for the same reason that one gets form rejections in general. I also appreciate an agent owes an author nothing. It isn't an agent's job to critique an MS they aren't interested in representing.

All this said, I still feel like it would be nice if, upon reading a full, agents would take a few moments to explain what didn't work for them about the MS. Even if it is as simple to say, "This was a lovely work, but I just didn't connect with it. I can't really explain why, but I think you could easily submit it in its current state without revisions to another agent." Authors can feel as if we are submitting blind. When we get no idea of what we are doing wrong, it's so frustrating. And very difficult to then fix. And considering how few fulls agents request, it isn't like there is the same kind of time constraint as with queries and partials. One also assumes that a request for a full means that the agent saw something professional in the initial query and isn't as concerned about starting a dialogue with a crazy person (another reason for form query rejections).

They aren't under any obligation true, but this is one thing I think would be very helpful if they did.

This and exclusives both bother me.

All that said . . . I'm sorry about your rejections. But on the good side, you are getting requests and that is something to be hugely proud of. Just keep on keeping on. Never give up! Never surrender!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Toothpaste! Your comments and sexy Sawyer icon are helping me heal.

Yeah, the form really does make me self-conscious about my writing...I mean my self-esteem right now is rock bottom. But I know they don't owe me anything and at the very least it was a kind form rejection. At least I know I'm doing something right by getting requests. I am proud of that at the very least. Still, I think I'm feeling the sting a bit more than the pride right now.

I'll probably be better tomorrow ;)

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
All this said, I still feel like it would be nice if, upon reading a full, agents would take a few moments to explain what didn't work for them about the MS. Even if it is as simple to say, "This was a lovely work, but I just didn't connect with it. I can't really explain why, but I think you could easily submit it in its current state without revisions to another agent." Authors can feel as if we are submitting blind. When we get no idea of what we are doing wrong, it's so frustrating. And very difficult to then fix.

Absolutely. Fulls aren't coming out of the slush pile, they're something that the agent has asked for.

skippingstone

Bouncing Atop the Water
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Roly. There's nothing for it but to keep on truckin'. Yes, rejection is a rite of passage, but so too is surviving rejection. That's what you're learning each time one of these agents returns your work with no real explanation as to why they're passing. You dread hearing "no" but then when you get a few no's under your belt, you realize it's not the end of the world, nor of your writing.

I look back at where I was a year ago -- I was so nervous about even DOING RESEARCH on agents that I used to get nauseated every time I sat down at my computer to look up submission guidelines. Now I eat rejection for breakfast and toss back rejection cocktails like flaming jello shots. You toughen up because you must. :)

But, yeah, I agree. Form rejects on fulls, or even partials, is kind of crappy. Although, that being said, sometimes getting comments back is no better, especially when the comments are confusing, contradictory, or demonstrative of the fact that the agent really didn't read the ms very closely.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys! I love this site. It's just great knowing that there are people out there going through what I am (and have been at it for much longer). Hugs all around!

You dread hearing "no" but then when you get a few no's under your belt, you realize it's not the end of the world, nor of your writing.

So true. I just got ANOTHER form rejection on a full (three in three days! Record?) And this third one I was like "oh, okay" and went back to watching the Olympics :p

I mean what else can I do? I don't want to be the clingy kind of author that demands explanations. It wouldn't make a difference and I don't want someone who doesn't get my work anyway. So I just keep going, believe in my work, write other stuff and hope for the best :)

KarenBCN

Registered
Reaction score
I've never posted on this site before, but I'm feeling really stupid, and this seems like the right thread for my question, so I hope someone can give me a bit of advice.

I was reading examples of good query letters, and lightning struck. I read, "This is a historical romance of 100,000 words." Seeing that one line suddenly made me see how ludicrous "This is a time-travel romance of 59,583 words" must look. That's in the first line of my query letter, which I just sent out to about 15 agents.

Should I just write those agents off or see if I can sneak in a second query that they might get to before they get to the first?

My reason for choosing a thread about rejection should be clear at this point.

Thanks!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
First, welcome KarenBCN! This is a great site - you'll learn lots here. I certainly have!

Second, this definitely isn't the right thread for your question and you might not (probably won't actually) get a lot of helpful answers. I suggest you start your own thread with this question as the topic in the Novels section ---> http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 or the Share your Work section --> http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26. The SYW section you should definitely check out because you'll find that people post their queries up for others to critique. You can post yours up too, if you're comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.