Historical Novel reading suggestions

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I enjoyed Michelle Moran's The Heretic Queen about Queen Nefertari of Egypt. Michelle has travelled to Egypt and it really comes alive in her novel. I also enjoyed Follow the Cowherd Boy by J.A. Joshi. It is based on Hindu folklore and is the story of Mirabai. The novel is quite beautifully written.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cookie: Hmmnn. Let's see. You could try:

The Flames of Rome. Paul Maier. (Claudius and Nero, Rome. Docu-novel.)

The Beacon at Alexandra. Gillian Bradshaw. (A woman's quest to study medicine as the Roman Empire falls into war with barbarian tribes and edges toward collapse. Yes, I am listing my favorites.)

The Virginian. Owen Wister. (A classic western.)

Scaramouche. Rafael Sabatini. (Yummy, if you're into period pieces.)

The Iron Trail. Rex Beach. (The advance of early railroads in Alaska. This is not a slow read. Actually, I find it rather brilliant, and the hero is wonderful.)

I could on and on, but I think I'll just give you the link to a blog that does regular and awesome historical novel reviews, and let you read up on some.

http://readingthepast.blogspot.com/

Have fun! :D

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
These are older, but are some of what I consider the classics of historical novels ...

L.C. mentioned Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini. Sabatini wrote quite a few historical novels and every one I've read was very good, possibly the best known (other than Scaramouche) are Captain Blood and The Seahawk. These would fall into what I'd call the swashbuckling kind.

Samuel Shellabarger wrote about a half dozen excellent historical novels including Captain from Castille and Prince of Foxes. His books are heavy on the history.

I like Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities. I also very much like The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (last name probably not spelled right.) And I enjoyed the Sir Walter Scott novels - Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, etc. And there are quite a few others. Look back at the classics and the authors who bridged the gap between the 19th century and the mid-twentieth centurty. There's a lot of good reading there. Puma

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My personal favorites are:

The Eagle and the Raven and Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge, the first is about the Roman conquest of Britain and the second about (apologies to Libbie if she reads this, cos I can't spell) Queen Hapshetphut.

Csardas and Summer of the Barshinskeys by Diane Pearson, the first is set in Hungary and runs from just before WW1 to post WW2; the second is set in rural Kent (UK) and Russia during WW1 and the Revolution.

Zemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald, set in northern India during the Sepoy Uprising in 1857, and is mainly about the Siege of Lucknow.

Anything by Anya Seton.

These are older novels, back in the days when you could go into a book shop and buy a lovely, big book, hundreds of pages deep.

*sighs*

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have read a lot of science fiction but I'm getting a little bored with it and looking for a new genre.

coeed- The majority of the historical fiction I have read was in the YA section. While they were great reads I think I'm getting a little beyond them now. I read a lot of Ann Rinaldi's books. Medieval Europe, and even some books set in India and the Middle East. So I don't know if that helps.

I remember reading one adult historical set in Medieval Europe but I no longer remember the title or author. I have read "The Last of the Mohicans" which I thought was really good and yes I have seen the movie. I've also read "The House of Mirth" another book I really enjoy.

"The Heretic Queen" and "The Iron Trail" both sound really interesting. I'll see if those two books are at the library next time I go.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe something old will do; it wasn't "historical" at the time but it is now! Vanity Fair, 40 Days of Musa Dagh, Tom Jones, Clarissa, War and Peace, etc should all qualify as historical fiction.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading 'The Whale Road' by Robert Low.
10th Century Vikings in search of the hoard of Attila the Hun - great fun

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a historical mystery fanatic.

Two of my favorite books of all time are Caleb Carr's "The Alienist" (takes place in turn of the century NY. Serial killer loose, and an Austrian alienist [the early term for psychiatrist] is involved.) Teddy Roosevelt guest stars. The sequel is Angel of Darkness. Both good!

and The Memory of Eva Ryker. It is the book that convinced me to become a writer the first time I read it years ago. Lots of cool twists and turns in a Titanic-related mystery.

Aso....on edit, The List of Seven by Mark Frost teams up Arthur Conan Doyle with the fictional "Jack Sparks" agent to the crown. Along the way, they run into other famous personalities in Victorian London like Helena Blavatsky and Bram Stoker. Good stuff! Also had a sequel which I have not read yet called The Six Messiahs.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I like Ellis Peters (BROTHER CADFAEL) for medieval murder mysteries. Bernard Cornwell for medieval guy-fic. Roberta Gellis's MAGDALENE LA BATARDE series for more medieval mysteries. Winston Graham's superb POLDARK series for late 18th-early 19th century great storytelling.

I'm currently reading O'Brien's MASTER AND COMMANDER and enjoying it greatly while bogging down frequently with the seafaring terminology.

Of course I read as much medieval-set romance as I can get my hands on. Among those, Gellis and Blythe Gifford are my personal favorites.

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoy Margaret George's books, especially THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HENRY VIII: WITH NOTES BY HIS FOOL, WILL SOMERS.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
'The Crimson Petal and the White' by Michael Faber is the best histfic I've read in years. It's very grim, though, so it might not be what you're looking for.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Try...

any of these authors:

Rosemary Sutcliff, she really isn't YA although I believe American libraries catalogue her as such.

Dorothy Dunnet,
Ellis Peters,
Ann Perry,
Michael Pearce,
Andrew Martin,
Kerry Greenwood,
John Biggins,
Lindsay Davis,
Barbara Cleverly

They've all written a series about the same character.

kerry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.odesk.com
I second a lot of the authors mentioned above, and would add in Sharon Kay Penman, especially her first trilogy about 13th century Britain: Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and The Reckoning.

She also has a historical mystery series that is enjoyable, if not quite as good, and some more historical mystery authors I love are Elizabeth Peters (19th century Egypt) and Kate Ross (Regency England).

MTP

Registered
Reaction score
If you're interested in fiction based on American history, particularly the Revolutionary period, I'd recommend Kenneth Roberts' Arundel and Rabble in Arms. He published these in the 1930s but his pacing and use of tension make his novels a fun ride by today's standards as well.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed Michelle Moran's The Heretic Queen about Queen Nefertari of Egypt. Michelle has travelled to Egypt and it really comes alive in her novel.

I second that. I also enjoyed Nefertiti by Michelle.
Mr. Emerson's Wife was good. Victorian HF.
The Boleyn Inheritance I thought was well written for Gregory.
Slammerkin is a naughty romp

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Renault's works are classic in historical fiction. I recommend most of them. Nigel Tranter is good and so is Thomas Costain. All wrote (at least mostly) adult fiction.

Britain did not exist as an entity before 1707, by the way.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
any of these authors:

Rosemary Sutcliff, she really isn't YA although I believe American libraries catalogue her as such.

Dorothy Dunnet,
Ellis Peters,
Ann Perry,
Michael Pearce,
Andrew Martin,
Kerry Greenwood,
John Biggins,
Lindsay Davis,
Barbara Cleverly

They've all written a series about the same character.

Thanks for the list of authors. This might be more helpful than specific titles since not all libraries carry the same books. My library seems a bit small.

Books I found at the library:
The Sixth Wife by Suzannah Dunn
She survived Henry VIII to be betrayed by love...

The Voyage of the Short Serpent by Bernard du Boucheron translated from the French by Hester Velmans
A story about bringing back Christianity to the Vikings that settled Greenland in hopes that they didn't go native or worse pagan.

White Rose Rebel by Janet Paisley
A novel of the female "Braveheart"

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
L.C. mentioned Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini. Sabatini wrote quite a few historical novels and every one I've read was very good, possibly the best known (other than Scaramouche) are Captain Blood and The Seahawk. These would fall into what I'd call the swashbuckling kind.

True, these are swashbuckling, however something they do do extremely well is capture the attitude of a time period not ours. The buckling of swashes is just an extra bit of fun.

I also very much like The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (last name probably not spelled right.)

My favoritest book in the world. Adore this.

Added bit of fun: "The Scarlet Pimpernel" is (one of) the first heroes with a secret identity. ;)

I second a lot of the authors mentioned above, and would add in Sharon Kay Penman, especially her first trilogy about 13th century Britain: Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and The Reckoning.

She also has a historical mystery series that is enjoyable

Anything by Sharon Kay Penman gets my vote. The woman is masterful. I want to be Sharon Kay Penman if I ever grow up.

Taylor Caldwell's books have been republished recently, which makes my heart dance with joy. All of my original copies were falling apart.

Sirius

Registered
Reaction score
Britain did not exist as an entity before 1707, by the way.

I disagree. The political bloc known as the Kingdom of Great Britain didn't, but Britain as an entity did, back to Roman times as a province of the Roman Empire.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some of my favorites. I haven't read the entire thread, so I may be repeating others' suggestions. I have a predilection for "ancient culture" historical novels, so they may not be to your liking.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. Based on the life of Dinah, the only daughter of Jacob (from the Bible.) Warning: If you are a die-hard Bible lover, you might really hate this book. If you're more open to interpretation, you might really love this book. It's damn good historical fiction.

Anything by Judith Tarr. In my opinion, absolutely the best writer of Egyptian historicals, though they tend to have a smidge of fantasy in them (based on the Egyptians' belief in magic, so it works in context.) Tarr has an incredible way with narrative. I especially liked Lord of the Two Lands.

The Twelfth Transforming by Pauline Gedge. She has several other Egyptian historicals, and they're pretty good, but I think The Twelfth Transforming is by far her strongest book.

Orson Scott Card's Women of Genesis series. I'm not a religious person and don't particularly care for Christian fiction most of the time, but Card did a damn fine job from a historical-novel perspective. Period details are spot on, characters are very well developed, and story arcs are solid. Card's a good writer.

The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Maybe not strictly a historical novel, but it is appealing for the same reasons historicals are appealing. This one is a novelization of the Mahabharata. Great writing. Divakaruni is always pretty solid.

The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan. I'm 50/50 on this one. On the one hand, beautiful writing. On the other, I didn't find any of the characters to be likeable. Could just be me, though. I haven't read her other books yet, but am planning on it. This book follows the life of a woman who ascends through the concubine pool to become one of the wives of Emperor Jahangir.

Cleopatra Dismounts by Carmen Boullosa. WARNING: LITERARY NOVEL! This is a somewhat trippy but gorgeously written history plus two alternate histories of Cleopatra. Definitely worth checking out. It's short and very delicious.

Queenmaker by India Edghill. Another one loosely based on the Bible, about King David's queen. Pretty good -- I enjoyed it.

Anything by Margaret George. She's done a few ancient-culture historical novels, and a couple of Tudor-era novels. All of them are great.

Getting away from the ancient Middle Eastern/Indian settings...

The Observations by Jane Harris. Really good book with unexpected plot devices. For a real treat, track down the audio version, read by the author. She does a knockout job of reading her own book (rare in the world of audiobooks!) This one is set in Victorian England.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Long, but rich in world-building goodness. Medieval epic.

Karleen Koen's novels. I started with Through a Glass Darkly, but I think you can start with any of the three and still appreciate them all just fine. Really luscious writing. All set in Europe during the early to mid 1700s.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Set in the USA during the good ol' western days. Love it.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Civil-war America. You're probably familiar with it.

One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus. Actually an alternate history, set in America in the early 1800s (I think). Journal-style narrative, which was difficult for me to stick to, although I'm glad I did -- the story is great.

And finally, I must recommend a book that's not a novel, but reads like one. Harriette Wilson's Memoirs, compiled and edited by Lesley Blanch. Harriette Wilson was an extremely clever and witty woman, even from a young age, and her memoirs and letters are fantastic reading. She recorded her life with all the detail of a novel, and has a grand voice. Absolutely worth reading! (For those who don't know, she was an infamous courtesan during the Regency period. It's a nice counterpoint to the Jane Austen view of the Regency.)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
My personal favorites are:

The Eagle and the Raven and Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge, the first is about the Roman conquest of Britain and the second about (apologies to Libbie if she reads this, cos I can't spell) Queen Hapshetphut.

Pretty close! :D Hatshepsut. You can just call her Hat. I hear she doesn't mind.

Child of the Morning is being re-released in trade paperback in March, after a few decades out of print. Yay! (not only for Gedge...I'm also hoping this bodes well for my chances of selling my books!)