12-Year Old Saudi Arabian Girl Sold To 80 Year Old Man in Marriage

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Saudi women’s rights advocates are outraged after a 12-year-old girl was sold by her father into marriage with an 80-year-old man. A Saudi father, whose name has not been released, sold his 12-year-old daughter to his 80-year old cousin for the equivalent of $22,600. The elderly man, who lives in the city of Buraidah, stands accused of raping the girl after the [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot]wedding[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. He has previously married three other young girls.
“She was raped and they took her to the hospital after the wedding night,” Wajiha Al-Huwaidar, a Saudi journalist who has been banned from reporting by the government told The Media Line. “Usually when the girl is very young, the authorities tell the husband not to touch her until after puberty. When he was interviewed, the guy just said she was old enough and he didn’t know she would get hurt.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/58451/saudi-girl-12-married-off-to-80-year-old-man/

No need to take sides on this one. I think we can all agree.

I bring it up because I'm curious what organizations are working in the region to stop stuff like this, and if anyone knows how successful they are.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
They're such a bunch of lovable scamps over there! I for one am happy that our government considers this nation of barbarians to be one of our staunchest allies, to the point where our leader even bows down to their leader.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't we see this exact same story last year? I swear we did . . . only the girl was a little younger that time, I think.

And yes, I do truly love the hypocrisy of US policy. Truly. Our relationship with Saudi Arabia is almost as funny as the name of the Patriot Act. (And I have to laugh. Otherwise I'm consumed by an irresistible urge to kill politicians.)

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Just a point of curiosity, are the folks who find the legality of this sale something that needs to change the same who feel that the US shouldn't be imposing its will on foreign nations when it comes to changing leadership, and various other items?

Myself, I think it's deplorable and we should put pressure on the Saudis to change...

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
They're such a bunch of lovable scamps over there! I for one am happy that our government considers this nation of barbarians to be one of our staunchest allies, to the point where our previous leader even held hands with their leader.
Don't forget to keep things in perspective. It's about oil, not party.

Thanks.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Instead of using this poor girl to make a political point, I'd really just like to know who can take my donation and do something effective with it for these abused kids.

Thanks, AMCrenshaw!

Last edited:

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Oh, and just a note to add that I don't think walking away from the table is somehow going to magically shame the kingdom into changing a thousand or so years of laws.

It seems like the sort of argument that completely misses the point. Being allies with them makes it easier for non-profit work, the UN, etc. to shed light on this and try to stop this sort of stuff from happening. It's not going to be easy, and I - frankly - think the argument that pretending like they don't exist, don't have value for the world, deserve to be called "barbarians", etc, well that stuff isn't anything resembling useful.

They're not a nation of "barbarians". They're a nation of "Saudi Arabians". And, there are good, decent people in their home country who are trying hard to bring about the cultural shifts needed to protect their women and young people from some old, bad ideas. In many cases, the people who want something different for their daughters do so by moving out of the land their families have lived in for ten thousand years, which is a lot harder than it sounds to rootless Americans like me.

Let's scrap the lingo that talks about these folks as if they were not humans, and stop using their suffering daughters for some kind of political moral stand that won't do anything to actually help the children. 'Kay?

Last edited:

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Whenever I was with Saudi or Kuwaiti men at a social gathering, say at a banquest or a party, I always asked if any of them had more than one wife. Only twice in five years did I find one that had more than one. The first of these was in Saudi (1983). He had two wives and said that was enough.

The second was in Kuwait, February 1988, at a banquest. He said he had two, and was planning to take another soon. He then asked if I had a daughter. I said yes and showed him a wallet picture of her--young, blonde, and pretty. He said, "Ah, she will be my third wife," and offered me $40,000 for her. I declined of course. He studied the picture more, then asked, "How old is she?" I said she was almost seven. He thought for a moment then said, "She will be my fourth wife."

NDG

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and just a note to add that I don't think walking away from the table is somehow going to magically shame the kingdom into changing a thousand or so years of laws.

It seems like the sort of argument that completely misses the point. Being allies with them makes it easier for non-profit work, the UN, etc. to shed light on this and try to stop this sort of stuff from happening. It's not going to be easy, and I - frankly - think the argument that pretending like they don't exist, don't have value for the world, deserve to be called "barbarians", etc, well that stuff isn't anything resembling useful.

They're not a nation of "barbarians". They're a nation of "Saudi Arabians". And, there are good, decent people in their home country who are trying hard to bring about the cultural shifts needed to protect their women and young people from some old, bad ideas. In many cases, the people who want something different for their daughters do so by moving out of the land their families have lived in for ten thousand years, which is a lot harder than it sounds to rootless Americans like me.

Let's scrap the lingo that talks about these folks as if they were not humans, and stop using their suffering daughters for some kind of political moral stand that won't do anything to actually help the children. 'Kay?

I've said it before and I still believe it applies. This is a cultural problem and will take a shift inside. No amount of outside finger wagging will make them change. No one forced the westernized nations to end slavery, end child labor, give back women rights and so on and so forth. Every major shift has come from within and so it will have to be with this country and every other like it. They will have to experience the desire to change things and they will have to go through the pain of protests and marches and deaths just like we did. And eventually when there are enough voices that cannot be silenced there will be change.

All we can do is give as much support as we can to those elements being suppressed and express our disgust at those sort of actions. However I also agree that classifying a large group of people barbarians due to their very long standing customs and social practices unhelpful.

I'm sure the same could apply to us for our child molestors and rapists and murderers. That still doesn't represent our society as a whole as it doesn't theirs either. Yeah they have a long way to go, but not every single one of them is like that.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The second was in Kuwait, February 1988, at a banquest. He said he had two, and was planning to take another soon. He then asked if I had a daughter. I said yes and showed him a wallet picture of her--young, blonde, and pretty. He said, "Ah, she will be my third wife," and offered me $40,000 for her. I declined of course. He studied the picture more, then asked, "How old is she?" I said she was almost seven. He thought for a moment then said, "She will be my fourth wife."

NDG
So I guess when arguing with your daugther, you had better ammunition than not letting her have the car. :D

I know this Kuwaiti who will take you off my hands for $40,000.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget to keep things in perspective. It's about oil, not party.

Thanks.

I think that goes unsaid; everyone knows that Bush kissed his ass as well. I just brought that up because we are speaking of current events. I'm sure if I dug deep enough I could find evidence of of our presidents groveling to the Saudis going back several administrations.

mewoone

Registered
Reaction score
They're such a bunch of lovable scamps over there! I for one am happy that our government considers this nation of barbarians to be one of our staunchest allies, to the point where our leader even bows down to their leader.

What has this to do with the calling a barbarians nation!!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>​
I mean really , when I heard about raping in USA ( and you have high numbers or raping) ,,, I do not look at your nation in the same way you look at us…in your society there are mistakes and your people try to correct and we have our mistakes that we try to correct it..

Last edited:

mewoone

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I was with Saudi or Kuwaiti men at a social gathering, say at a banquest or a party, I always asked if any of them had more than one wife. .

NDG

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
hi, <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
i am really sorry to say this but we laugh at western people when they ask us such question!!!!!!!!!!. Or when they talk to us "women" and try to find out if we are mistreated by our husbands!!! <o:p></o:p>

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
On the positive side of the girl's situation: he's old. Too much exertion and he'll keel over like a topheavy boat in a hurricane.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
badducky, you might want to check Amnesty International's specific campaign about violence against women and girls. It covers many countries and there's lots of information there. :)

kerry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.odesk.com
Off hand, I don't know if any organizations working specifically in Saudi Arabia, but a few international ones include Equality Now, Women Thrive Worldwide, and Women for Women International. In Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the situation is even worse, there are quite a few good ones working now, including several that were founded by Afghans rather than Westerners.

Ultimately, I think the biggest difference is going to be made by giving women the chance to educate themselves, so any organization that promotes female education is a good one to support if we want to end this horror in the long term. I think microfinance organizations focusing on women also tend to improve their situationswithin their families.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
hi, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>i am really sorry to say this but we laugh at western people when they ask us such question!!!!!!!!!!. Or when they talk to us
</o:p>

Laugh away, mewoone. I never had any contact with Saudi or Kuwait women--at least not when their husbands weren't around.

NDG

mewoone

Registered
Reaction score
Laugh away, mewoone. I never had any contact with Saudi or Kuwait women--at least not when their husbands weren't around.

NDG

hi,

Before 30 years you will never have the opportunity to see them at all ,, I mean our society is slowly developing (to good or bad) …as we have rich tradition it is very hard to throw it all in one time!

Last edited: