A NOVEL CONTEST: The Elevator Pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, gang, here's the official announcement with rules and stuff.

HOW TO ENTER:

• Submit a short pitch, approximately 3-4 sentences long, that explains what your book is about and is meant to hook a potential reader, agent, or editor.
  • E-mail submissions to Birol at Lori(at)royell(dot)org or PM them to her at Birol here on AW.
  • Include your AW userid in the body of your e-mail or PM.
  • Entries must be received by 6:00PM Central Time (5:00PM Eastern/Midnight GMT?) on Wednesday, February 10th.

WHO IS INELIGIBLE:

• Any manuscript that is currently published, in the process of being published, or under contract with a publisher in ineligible. (For example, I could not enter a pitch for Long Way From Tomorrow, because it is under contract, but I could enter one for Child of Fate, because it is not – heck, it’s not even finished – except I’m completely ineligible because I’m the one running the contest.)
  • Anyone counting votes or otherwise running the contest is ineligible to enter.

ANTICIPATED FAQ:

• Your manuscript does not have to be finished; it can be incomplete.
  • Your manuscript does not have to even exist; it can just be an idea in your head.
  • Your manuscript can be completed and in the process of being shopped around.
  • Your manuscript does not have to be fiction. We will accept pitches for non-fiction and memoirs, too.
  • You must be a registered member of AW to enter.

A SINGLE WINNER WILL RECEIVE:

• A copy of Kelly Meding’s (ChaosTitan’s) Three Days to Dead plus two book-related buttons.
  • A copy of Personal Demons and Demon Inside by Stacia Kane
  • A copy of The Apocalypse Door by James D. MacDonald
  • A goodie bag from AW’s Café Press store, courtesy of Dawno.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Are we allowed more than one entry?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Can we still enter if we're in the UK (or outside of America) for the prizes which no doubt have to be sent by post?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
K, thanks. Now I just have to decide which has a better shot of winning. Ah, what the heck. I'll go for the one on submission. I can always do the next one in the next contest.

the_Unknown

Drinking your story's blood...
Registered
Reaction score
What happens to the winning pitch/manuscript?

Is this just for fun?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Can we still enter if we're in the UK (or outside of America) for the prizes which no doubt have to be sent by post?

Yes, because if the prize donators are unable to send them internationally, I will. You may just have to wait longer for your goodies as they'll first have to come to me, then I'll have to pack them up in one package, let them sit on the table or desk for a week or so, and then take them to the post office to mail.

I'm afraid sitting on my table or desk for a week or so is mandatory. It's part of my personal mailing process and can't be messed with. Trust me. I've tried to eliminate it.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Geez. You United Kingdomers. Can't even spell. It's e-l-e-v-a-t-o-r, not e-l-a-v-a-t-o-r. No wonder you guys call it a lift. ;)

For further clarification: Having an agent is okay. You can participate. Having a publisher is not.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Geez. You United Kingdomers. Can't even spell. It's e-l-e-v-a-t-o-r, not e-l-a-v-a-t-o-r. No wonder you guys call it a lift. ;)

For further clarification: Having an agent is okay. You can participate. Having a publisher is not.
How many people have harassed you about your forum title not being a word? ;)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Novels isn't a word?

Gee. If novels isn't a word then I'm obviously not clever enough to enter an elevator pitch contest for novels. I'd be certain to toss in other non-words, like 'epic' or 'fantasy' or maybe even 'word.' Then I'd lose, right? Right?

nov⋅el1  /ˈnɒvəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nov-uhl] Show IPA
–noun 1. a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes.
2. (formerly) novella (def. 1).

Use novels in a Sentence
See images of novels
Search novels on the Web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1560–70; < It novella (storia) new kind of story. See novel 2

Related forms:

nov⋅el⋅like, adjective

Ah! I am vindicated. Perhaps I shall attempt to wrap my feeble mind around other words for my pitch and see if it works.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Novels isn't a word?

Gee. If novels isn't a word then I'm obviously not clever enough to enter an elevator pitch contest for novels. I'd be certain to toss in other non-words, like 'epic' or 'fantasy' or maybe even 'word.' Then I'd lose, right? Right?

Ah! I am vindicated. Perhaps I shall attempt to wrap my feeble mind around other words for my pitch and see if it works.
Lol. Not the title of the forum, the "forum title" below one's user name, like mine is Impractical Fantasy Animal.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Dam. I was going to enter the one about the lesbian zombie dinosaurs from space, until I saw that stupid provision that you actually have to have the novel written.

caw

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Lol. Not the title of the forum, the "forum title" below one's user name, like mine is Impractical Fantasy Animal.

Ah, I see. That wouldn't be the 'forum title.' That would be the 'custom user title.' Please feel free to check your User Control Panel for details.

Well, perhaps next time you will choose your words with particular care in order to ascertain that others understand exactly what you're saying.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Dam. I was going to enter the one about the lesbian zombie dinosaurs from space, until I saw that stupid provision that you actually have to have the novel written.

caw
Actually, it says you DON'T have to have it written. It can just be an idea in your head.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
"Remorsely"

Um... That is a word. You may be more accustomed to seeing it's cousin 'remorselessly' but lack of familiarity does not make a word incorrect.

Instead of 'in a manner lacking remorse', which is what 'remorselessly' means, 'remorsely' means 'in a manner of remorse' or 'in a manner of self-reproach, pity, or compassion', to further define it.

In other words, despite the fact that I am logical, I sometimes feel guilt, compassion, or pity when I'm using that logic against another. I am remorsely logical. Others have told me so and I adopted the phrase as my user title because it was not only apt but also because I liked it.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like if you pitched in an elevator, the ball would bounce off the wall and probably hit you and it would hurt.

I will enter this contest anyways :D Thanks, Lori!

Status
Not open for further replies.