What we're reading, the SFF edition

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Elysium Fire by Alastair Reynolds, just finished it this morning. Good Lord I'm a fanboy for his stuff. This is the second Prefect Dreyfus book, while the plot isn't as overstuffed with crazy concepts and Big Things Happening, it's still very good. The tension builds from the first page and never stops, making it, as the blurbmasters say, unputdownable.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Orson Scott Card's Mither Mages trilogy: The Lost Gate, The Gate Thief, and Gatefather.

I think this particular type of story framing isn't for me - the modern telling of god stories. It wasn't bad, and I enjoyed parts of it greatly, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend them. If you liked American Gods, this series would likely appeal to you.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
This week I read the Boundary trilogy by Melissa F. Olsen. I heartily enjoyed them, though they felt a bit short to me (I'm fairly certain this was my opinion of the previous book I read by this author, if I'm not mixing her up with someone else). I'm definitely interested in seeking out more; this helped quench my thirst for urban fantasy between books in the Toby Daye Facebook reread, and also got me thinking that maybe the element my WIP feels like it's missing is more urban fantasy elements.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

This is a fantastic post-apocalyptic plague book. I don't read books like this very often because they scare me. I liked that this was character driven. I certainly hope I'm never around if anything remotely close to this happens.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Last week I finished The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon. It's book 3 in the series and I think each one has been stronger than the last. Also saw the cover for her new fantasy coming out next year and I cannae wait.

Currently reading The Gate To Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper. I only recently discovered this author (and that she died in 2016 :cry:). I'm not enjoying this book as much as I enjoyed Beauty, but it's still very good.

ipsbishop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
toolsonlinenovel.blogspot.com
I'm re-reading Heinleins's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Very eclectic and clever use of both dialog and language. This is one of the earliest appearances of an AI character as we know them today.

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Re-reading The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. She's created such an intriguing world and a wonderful, strong, female MC. I've ordered The Hero and the Crown which is a prequel to The Blue Sword, and that one has another strong female lead too. I enjoy reading stories where the female characters aren't just 'set decoration' but are every bit as capable as the male characters.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Last week I finished The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon. It's book 3 in the series and I think each one has been stronger than the last. Also saw the cover for her new fantasy coming out next year and I cannae wait.

Currently reading The Gate To Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper. I only recently discovered this author (and that she died in 2016 :cry:). I'm not enjoying this book as much as I enjoyed Beauty, but it's still very good.

Tepper was a fascinating writer. She started publishing fairly late in life, was very prolific, and while I like some books better than others, all of them are interesting.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Re-reading The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. She's created such an intriguing world and a wonderful, strong, female MC. I've ordered The Hero and the Crown which is a prequel to The Blue Sword, and that one has another strong female lead too. I enjoy reading stories where the female characters aren't just 'set decoration' but are every bit as capable as the male characters.

I read those a long time ago and loved them.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

This was a solid epic fantasy. You won't find anything new or amazing in this book, but I'm partial to stories about elves and humans and how they interact. I'll definitely read the other books in this series.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I have read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North which I enjoyed.

Valence by Jennifer Foehner-Wells, also a good book in the Confluence series.

Provenence by Anne Leckie. I could't finish this one. I was soo bored. You can only read so much about people obsessing over party invitations.

RobertLCollins

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I finished Waistcoats & Weaponry, the third book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. Lots of fun! I liked how the plot moved in one direction, then ramped up and took a turn in the last quarter of the book. The characters are great as well. I hope to start on the last book in the series this weekend.

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
The Rise and Fall of DODO by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland. The entire book is a series of letters, memos, and other correspondence including a Powerpoint presentation. I'm not familiar with Galland's previous work, but has a lot of the insightful writing combined with wry humor from Stephenson I remember from Snow Crash. So far it does the best job of handling time travel without making a complete mess of logistics, which is all of my experience with that subgenre up to this point. I'm enjoying it and have just started the last third of the book.

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Just started China Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Loved The City and The City, so looking forward to this one.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

This was a solid epic fantasy. You won't find anything new or amazing in this book, but I'm partial to stories about elves and humans and how they interact. I'll definitely read the other books in this series.

Age of Swords book 2 in this series.

It was excellent. Once again, no surprises, but a well told story with great characters.

RobertLCollins

Registered
Reaction score
Last night I finished Manners & Mutiny, the fourth & final book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. It had slow but dramatic start, then accelerated towards a rousing finish. There was a warm happy ending that I wanted and needed. I enjoyed how this and last book planted seeds for the "Parasol Protectorate" books. And there were the exploding fake desserts. I plan to move on from that to the final book in a more serious series, probably starting next week.

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Just started China Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Loved The City and The City, so looking forward to this one.

OK, I’m on page 120 of 710, and I have to say I’m not liking it. If everything I’ve read spanned <30 pages, it’d be great, but there’s just so much nonsense and excess verbiage. The prose is much clunkier than in The City and the City, and the characters should be a lot more compelling to me by this point in the book. The world is the best part, but even that gets spoiled by all the infodumping in random places. I may or may not push on further.

Vhb_Rocketman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey. A friend at work is a huge fan of the TV show, but I figured I'd try reading it rather then watching it.

It started out quite slow, but seems to have picked up now. Though I don't care much for the characters. I mean they seem written well enough, but if they were to die on the next page I wouldn't miss them. Just can't seem to connect with the characters or the book.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Over a month, time for a procrastination update...

Recently Read SF/F:
The Wizard's Tale (Kurt Busiek, children's fantasy/graphic novel, Nook via Hoopla): The disappointing final heir to a long line of evil wizards, Bafflerog just can't seem to get the hang of dark magic. His magical minions look like cute critters instead of nasty demons, and his foul thunderstorms turn into gentle rains, complete with - horror of horrors - rainbows! He has but one final chance to redeem himself (and escape horrible death) at the hands of the council of evil wizards: recover the lost Book of Worse, the spellbook that contains enough evil magic to destroy the last vestiges of hope and light in the land. But Bafflerog can't help having second thoughts as he sets out on his quest...

The story arc is pretty obvious, but the illustrations are full of fun little details and the MC's the sort of lovably bumbling wizard kids should enjoy. Kind of charming and fun if you don't expect too much out of it.

All These Worlds (The Bobiverse trilogy Book 3, Dennis E. Taylor, SF, paperback): The human-turned-AI Bob and his "descendants", immortal space probes exploring the stars, continue to scatter the remnants of humanity to new worlds, even as they prepare for a final confrontation with the locustlike alien Others... but is this all the future holds for them, being glorified taxis for the squabbling "ephemerals" who constructed them?

A good conclusion to a good trilogy, it maintains the throwback sense of wonder feel that I so enjoyed about the previous installments. As generations continue to age and die, the Bobs must confront their immortality, and the fact that they're not human anymore... and maybe shouldn't keep thinking of themselves as such. Meanwhile, the relentless Others are on their way to Sol, to harvest Earth as payback for the Bobs' attack. Quite enjoyable.

William and the Lost Spirit (Gwen de Bonneval, middle-grade? fantasy/graphic novel, Nook via Hoopla): In medieval times, the death of William's heretic father leaves their mother seeking comfort (and status) with a corrupt senschal... but William's older sister insists that their father isn't dead, merely lost in the spirit world. When she runs away, he knows she's gone to find him - but does he have to courage to follow his dad's Church-defying path?

The premise had promise, and I enjoyed the imaginative illustrations, but it got a bit too preachy, with an ending that invalidated much of the earlier journey. William's also a rather dense hero. Still, if you enjoy old-school medieval-flavored fantasy - William's spirit world visit hearkens back to old traveler's tales, with tribes of headless humans and a twisted version of Prester John's fantastical kingdom - it might be worth a look.

Currently Reading SF/F:
Traitor's Blade (The Greatcoats series Book 1, Sebastien De Castell, fantasy, paperback): Falcio achieved a childhood dream when he became First Cantor of the king's legendary Greatcoats, the roving purveyors of justice... but rebellious dukes struck the man down and cast the Greatcoats into ignomy. While others lose faith in themselves, he struggles to fulfill his king's final mission in the hopes that it can restore the world he knew, and the honor he still holds dear.

A fantastical take on the Three Musketeers, it has a fun, swashbuckling flavor to it. I'm enjoying it so far, at least.

The Down Home Zombie Blues (Linnea Sinclair, romance/SF, Nook via Overdrive): When Florida cop Theo meets alien zombie-hunter Jorie, sparks fly... and monsters attack.

It looked lightweight, with a promisingly independent and strong FMC, but so far it's deteriorated terribly; the story never wastes a chance to undercut the independence of Jorie and other females and emphasize the power and dominance of males, even backwards "nil-world" males who never even knew about zombies or aliens until both fell into his life on the same night. At this point, I fear I'm largely reading just to review it as a warning to others... which is a shame, as it still has the potential to be something more than it's become.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Belgariad by David Eddings - Pawn of Prophecy (1), Queen of Sorcery (2), Magician's Gambit (3), Castle of Wizardry (4), and Enchanter's End Game (5).

I enjoyed these much more than The Elenium Trilogy. Lots of solid "farm boy saves the world with a magic sword predicted by prophecy" going on here. I'm trying to convince my 11 year old to read these, but so far he's resisting.

Robinski

Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Belgariad by David Eddings - Pawn of Prophecy (1), Queen of Sorcery (2), Magician's Gambit (3), Castle of Wizardry (4), and Enchanter's End Game (5).

I enjoyed these much more than The Elenium Trilogy. Lots of solid "farm boy saves the world with a magic sword predicted by prophecy" going on here. I'm trying to convince my 11 year old to read these, but so far he's resisting.

Ha, good grief. I remember waiting for the final book to be published when I read these (cough, yes, that old). I enjoyed them at the time, and certainly would agree with the adjective 'solid', but I'm not sure that we've come full circle yet for 'farm boy' stories to be back in. Also, Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson) kind of wrote the book on farm boy stories, I feel. Goes to show that you can still write stereotypes if you do it really, really well.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Traitor's Blade (The Greatcoats series Book 1, Sebastien De Castell, fantasy, paperback): Falcio achieved a childhood dream when he became First Cantor of the king's legendary Greatcoats, the roving purveyors of justice... but rebellious dukes struck the man down and cast the Greatcoats into ignomy. While others lose faith in themselves, he struggles to fulfill his king's final mission in the hopes that it can restore the world he knew, and the honor he still holds dear.

A fantastical take on the Three Musketeers, it has a fun, swashbuckling flavor to it. I'm enjoying it so far, at least.

I dig this series. Low magic, Early Modern setting, snarky-but-heroic narrator, endless Xanatos pile-ups. And De Castell is a good author to read for anyone hand-wringing over how to write a fight scene. Not perfect, but h*ckin' enjoyable.

Robinski

Registered
Reaction score
And... I am presently nearing the end of Charles Stross' The Atrocity Archive. I've enjoyed it a good deal. Good old British bureaucracy + Cthulhu mythos is a triumphant combination, as it turns out. Who would have thought? Hugely more impressive than The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow and Stross, which I found rather smug and self-satisfied. Massively insufficient investment in the main character spells D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R (pronounced meh). I'm greatly reassured now that the 'fault' was not with my fellow Scot (aforementioned Mr. Stross), but the other party.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Gunslinger (2003 revised edition) by Stephen King.

Have any of you disliked this book and read on? Is it worth continuing this series if I didn't like this first installment?