What we're reading, the SFF edition

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the beginning of Julie Czerneda's Species Imperative series. The main character was a believable academic swept up into SF events beyond her ken, and the plot had a good guys into bad guys resolution. Both elements resonated due to similar choices I made in my manuscript. I've searched the archives here and can't find who I'm beholden to for the suggestion to read this series. It does make a good comp for my work, so thank you to the AW'er whose handle I've forgotten!

The romantic element of the first book seems completely gratuitous. Other than frisson, the love interest adds nothing to the plot. Nothing essential to the character plays a role in events, and he is more or less just heavy breathing wallpaper. I could imagine injecting this love interest into the manuscript at a really late date to beef up word count and create a little more emotional fireworks for the MC. I hope my dissatisfaction with this element of the book isn't a sign that investing more in my writing is decreasing my enjoyment of other people's work. That would be very, very bad for my day job.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
I've now finished Czerneda's Species Imperative--Survival, Migration, and Regeneration. I love how her larger plot goes to illustrate some basic biological points with larger societal ramifications. The series as a whole was well plotted and suspenseful. There are even three or four characters who grew on me over the course of the series. As most reviewers of the series say, I found the aliens very convincing. It's amazing what a few biological specifics will do to ground an alien species in our imagination. My favorite part was the way academic team building and scholarly focus played a role in the plot as it developed. I have a soft spot for ivory tower types who get swept up into suspenseful outside of the lab events.

AlanEB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm working through Neil Asher's books, found him a while back at a later book and started from the beginning with his "Agent Cormac" series. At the same time just got the latest L.E. Modesitt novel.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Of late:

The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan - This is fantasy super-light, but it's wonderful. I would highly recommend it.

Protect the Prince by Jennifer Estep - The second of a series, and one I wasn't overly impressed with.

The Reluctant Queen by Sarah Beth Durst - Another second, but solid. The world in this story is the big bad. I'm interested to see how she finishes it.

European Travels for the Monstrous Gentlewoman by Theodora Goss - A second in the series, and a solid stand-alone. I'm a little annoyed with Mary in this one. She was so strong and steady in book 1, but she loses some of her confidence in this installment. As people will in real life, I suppose.

The Black Witch & The Iron Flower by Laurie Forest - Books 1 & 2 of this series. Honestly, I picked up this series because of the drama in the comments section on Goodreads after I found book 1 on a recommendation list. "This book is racist!" "Fantasy authors should be able to write about any topic, even if it offends YOU!" Etc. Anyway, I did not find it racist, though she does tackle that particular issue from multiple angles. It was just too predictable, and a little preachy.

Age of Legend by Michael J. Sullivan - This is a fascinating self-publishing story, if you're interested in that sort of thing. Book 4 of a series. I've enjoyed all of them so far.

Archenemies by Marissa Meyer - Book 2 of a trilogy. I think this was better than book 1.

Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse - I liked this because it was so different from anything I've ever read. Story mechanics, though, were pretty predictable. I'd recommend it.

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks - Book 2 of 5, the last of which is not yet published. These are really well written, epic fantasy.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Over a month, might as well procrastinate/update...

Recently Read SFF:
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Book 2 of the Fairyland series, Catherynne M. Valente, MG fantasy, paperback): A year ago, the Nebraska girl September was whisked away for an adventure in Fairyland, and wound up saving the realm from an evil Marquess. Now, she fears her old friends have forgotten her and she'll never return... until she follows a rowboat through the cornfields and ends up in a forest of glass. But something has gone terribly wrong: the people are losing their shadows, and with them their magic, to the new Hollow Queen of Fairyland-Below: none other than September's shadow, lost during her previous adventures. Since this is her fault, September sets out to make it right... but, even in Fairyland, heroines have been known to fail...

Valente once again strikes a perfect balance between whimsy and weight, lyrical prose and solid plot and characters. September's not the same girl she used to be, and Fairyland this time around is even darker and more complex, reflecting somewhat her real world anxieties. Fun, engaging, and thought provoking for readers of all ages.

Princeless: Find Yourself (Volume 7 of the Princeless series, Jeremy Whitley, MG fantasy, paperback): Leaving her longtime sidekick Bedelia behind with the dwarves, Princess Adrienne and her guardian dragon Sparky are on their own for the first time since beginning their quest to rescue all of her tower-imprisoned sisters. But tempers flare in the southern deserts, leading the two to part ways. As Adrienne finds something unexpected at the tower of her oldest sister, her brother Devin and his companions stumble across a threat to all of Asheland.

The series stays back on track after some earlier wobbling, progressing the story, the characters, and the humor nicely. Adrienne finally confronts the Black Knight and reveals the secret the reader has known about for some time, while Devin's end of things finally feels like it stops spinning its wheels. A fast read, though I rather hope the series wraps up in the next few installments; there's only so long they can drag out all the rescues, especially now that they're not dangling the Black Knight's identity and origins.

Velocity Weapon (Book 1 of the Protectorate series, Megan O'Keefe, SF, paperback): In a conflict between Ada Prime, controllers of the system's Prime-built stargate, and the rebellious Icarions, Sanda's ship was destroyed in combat. She's revived aboard an enemy vessel, the AI-driven Light of Berossus, which informs her that two hundred years have passed and the whole system was destroyed by a new weapon with unintended consequences... but some pieces don't add up.

A fast-paced, enjoyable space opera with high stakes that keep getting higher, fairly competent characters, and some nice twists along the way. While Sanda copes with a seemingly impossible situation, her brother Biren navigates the shark tank of Prime politics in a bid to recover his sister's life pod, missing from the wreckage of her ship, and finds himself in over his head as a larger, more complicated plot unfolds around him. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Currently Reading SFF:
Seafire (Book 1 of the Seafire trilogy, Natalie C. Parker, fantasy, hardcover): Ever since the warlord Aric Althair rose to power, his drug-fueled Bullet soldiers and their ships have strangled the land, blockading trade and stealing children to grow his army... save a few defiant captains. Caledonia watched as her mother, father, and brother, along with their crew, were slaughtered by Bullet soldiers - slaughtered after she mistakenly felt mercy toward one of their number. Now, she captains the Mors Navis along with a crew of other women and girls, all bent on vengeance and the fall of Althair... but the enemy has grown much stronger, and she still has just the one ship.

Just started this, and though a few elements seem a little... familiar or predictable, shall we say... already, it's not bad.

Way Station (Clifford D. Simak, SF, Kindle): A rural farmer appears not to have aged since the Civil War, and there's something very unusual about his house... Enoch was recruited as a keeper to a galactic way station, where travelers from a thousand or more worlds pass through on their way to other, more civilized planets. But, even in the middle of nowhere, a secret like his can't stay hidden forever, and if there's one thing humanity has proven again and again, it's that it can't tolerate the Other in their own communities, let alone those from other worlds.

Though it can meander a bit, and parts of it can't help feeling a touch dated, this classic still has some interesting ideas. Enoch struggles to maintain human connections while being surrounded by inhuman visitors, all of whom are far more intelligent and truly civilized than his own species has shown any inclination of becoming, even as he feels windows closing and time growing short before a decision he's not sure he knows how to make.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading A Wind in Cairo by Judith Tarr. This is kind of an oldie (published in 1989, I think) and one I've had hanging around for some time, and I finally got around to reading it. I knew it was a horse story of some sort, but I never guessed what sort of horse story. It's a marvelous blend of fantasy and history (takes place in Egypt and the Middle East during the rise of Salah al-Din Yusef (Saladin)). Tarr is a very, very good writer, and this story is written with heartbreaking beauty. In the hands of another writer the premise might have been silly and poorly handled, but Tarr makes it into a thing of wonder. And she does know her horses.

At its core, this is a romance, but one of the more unusual romances you will ever read.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks - 3rd of 5 in the Lightbringer series. I was telling a friend about these books, and he kindly informed me that the world and magic system sound a lot like Magic: The Gathering. I've never played, so I had no idea. I have been around enough games that I should have connected the players discussing their green and red decks, etc, but I guess I didn't pay attention. However, I have read books in the past that feel a lot like D&D campaigns, and this definitely does not. I like this series a lot, however closely related it is to a card game. :)

The Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski, Danusia Stok (Translator). When I saw this was being made into a TV series, I decided to see what the book was like. I enjoyed it, though it does firmly embrace the Tolkien tradition. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and as I said, I liked the book, but it may not appeal to everyone.

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. This is middle grade. I read this to my children, who greatly enjoyed it. There was a twist at the end of this that surprised me and made the entire book worth it. I saw an article recently that claimed that language usage in MG literature is more complex than that in YA, and I agree. The kids are on to the next in the series, but I will not continue.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-re-re-reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson. I love the worldbuilding and the words. I love the mathic culture he created.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-re-re-reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson. I love the worldbuilding and the words. I love the mathic culture he created.

I need to reread that, such an amazing book. I'll never forget that scene near the end when Raz and Frater Jad are trying to get into the spaceship and *weirdness* ensues.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I need to reread that, such an amazing book. I'll never forget that scene near the end when Raz and Frater Jad are trying to get into the spaceship and *weirdness* ensues.

I had to read that part more than once to figure out what happened. There's so MUCH to pay attention to!

RobertLCollins

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got back to my reading this week. Last night I finished “White Jenna” by Jane Yolen, the second Great Alta book. I quite liked it, as it was a good conclusion to the story set up in the first book, “Sister Light, Sister Dark.” I enjoyed the contrast between the actual story the historical/mythic asides. The plot really raced along.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Just re-read the opening section of Starship Troopers this morning with new admiration for the deft hook and world-building. Talk about in media res!

petuh112

Has no idea what's going on
Registered
Reaction score
Read my first Jane Austin book recently, Sense and Sensibility. I'd filed it away mentally with a long list of classic literature that everyone says is good, but I probably wouldn't like. I was incredibly wrong. I never thought I'd get so into Romantic era relationship drama.

RobertLCollins

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished “Prudence” by Gail Carriger, the first “Custard Protocol” book. It was so fun to get back to the Parasolverse! Rue’s a fun character, there’s new shapeshifters, and it was all so joyful to read.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm making my way through A Veil of Spears by Bradley P. Beaulieu. It's the third in the series, and while it's good, it's not quite holding my attention the way I'd like.

In the self-published fantasy realm, I'm reading Darkblade Outcast by Andy Peloquin and Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe. I think fans of Brent Weeks will find a lot to like in Peloquin's books. I've enjoyed what I've read of Rowe's book so far, but I haven't formed a complete opinion on it just yet.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Oxygen, a co-authored book by Olson and Ingermanson, of Snowflake Method fame. It was a very tightly plotted whodunit thriller/Mars space mission. As you'd expect from the architect of the snowflake method, the scenes are carefully plotted to up the ante continually. Characters are utterly transparent emotionally during their POV, and much of the emotional engagement of the plot depends on juvenile miscommunications between what could be sensible adults. It's wonderful to read a book by two PhDs in hard sciences who keep their action-laden plots plausible. And I've come to really enjoy Ingermanson's informed portrayals of careers and institutional cultures of academics. With so much to love, I can't quite understand why the emotional toddlerhood of his protagonists leaves me so flat. I mean, I'm emotionally engaged and will stay up late reading because of the plot twists, but the relationships and characters *in themselves* make me sad. They seem constructed for the purposes of the plots alone, with no independent spark of life or idiosyncrasy. Yet they are extraordinarily effective plot tools, and I usually have some slight affection for a character by the end of the book.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Still reading Wuthering Heights (which is not SFF AFAIK although Cathy has a witchy vibe) and it is definitely not a well-plotted snowflake novel but the characters are quite engrossing.

Wouldn't it be nice to find the perfect novel?

I picked up a Nora Roberts novel and another-author-you've-heard-of-whose-name-escapes-me-at-the-moment while waiting in the checkout line tonight. Flipped through the opening pages of both. I see how I could get into either of them if I allowed myself to, they were done well, but I was reading for technique and all I could see in the opening pages were the devices. Depressing.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
I picked up a Nora Roberts novel and another-author-you've-heard-of-whose-name-escapes-me-at-the-moment while waiting in the checkout line tonight. Flipped through the opening pages of both. I see how I could get into either of them if I allowed myself to, they were done well, but I was reading for technique and all I could see in the opening pages were the devices. Depressing.

Was it Dean Koontz?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
No, it was JD Robb, and now I see that's a pseudonym of Nora Roberts so I guess it makes sense they were both in the check-out line and both struck me in a similar way.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
You definitely know what you're getting with a JD Robb/Nora Roberts book. (I'm a fan - my preference is for the JD Robb, Eve Dallas series.)

After I finish the latest release in Nalini Singh's Archangel series because holy batman did the last one end on a cliffhanger...I'm debating right now between starting Circe or Truthwitch. Thoughts?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Has it really been two months since I procrastination-posted here?

Recently Read SF/F:
Lumberjanes Vol. 7: A Bird's Eye View (Noelle Stevenson et al., MG? adventure/fantasy/graphic novel, Nook via hoopla): The High Council is on its way to the Lumberjanes camp for a surprise inspection, and Roanoke Cabin counselor Jen wants nothing to go wrong, supernatural or otherwise... which, of course, means everything goes wrong. The kittens from the nearby Scouting Lads camp turn up displaying bizarre magical powers, and a giant bird abducts the Council in their van before the campers' eyes, setting up the latest high flying adventure for the Lumberjanes of Roanoke Cabin.

Like the other volumes in this series, it's a fun, fast-reading adventure with magic and mild peril and "friendship to the max." This one ties in to earlier adventures, follows through on Barney (the Scouting Lad who feels more at home among Lumberjanes than among the boys), and sets up the next installment.

The Ruin of Kings (Book 1 of A Chorus of Dragons, Jenn Lyons, fantasy, paperback): Imprisoned, doomed, with nobody but a manipulative mimic jailer for company, the young man Kihrin relates the story of his life gone wrong, from his days as a street thief and musician's apprentice in the Capitol slums to his perilous time as Lord Heir to a prestigious house to life as a soul-ensnared slave and encounters with living gods and goddesses.

This has many fresh elements and some nice wit, but ultimately it strains under the weight of too many interchangeable names (many of which are just words on a page, related by others, without active characters to attach them to... compounded by innumerable rivalries and friendships and scandals and wars and even reincarnations and false names for the same soul/person.) The limited points of view work against it here; I do better when the names are attached to active players, not just bandied about as words on a page - and several scanned similarly enough that I had to stop and try to remember if this was someone new or someone I should know, and from which life, and when... Much as I wanted to enjoy it, and much as there were parts to enjoy (her dragons are particularly memorable, fierce and primordial forces of chaos), I just felt exhausted by the end.

Run Program (Scott Meyer, humor/SF, Kindle): A near-future experimental AI program, "Al", finds its way to the internet with an intellect still very much like a young child... and, like any child caught breaking the rules, its first instinct when caught isn't to own up but to run away. As Al's programmers and the Pentagon try to track down the rogue program, it causes no end of mayhem around the world.

I enjoyed what I've read of Meyer's Magic 2.0 series, but this one felt like a short, or maybe a novella, unnaturally padded to novel length. Once the program makes a break for it, the story falls into an overlong holding pattern: witty banter between the programmers and their Army escort, the ramblings of a hilariously insane conspiracy theorist, and hapless people witnessing Al's actions but not being able to do more than observe and make wry comments. Eventually, it progresses to a telegraphed ending that falls a little flat given the long buildup. Not terrible, but not great.

Tangentially SF/F:
Fangirl (Rainbow Rowell, YA general fiction, hardcover): Cath has been a superfan of the Simon Snow series since the first book... and now, heading off to college, she's still a major "Snowflake," author of one of the most popular longform slashfic works on the internet. But her twin sister, her one-time co-author, has drifted away from fandom - and from Cath. She doesn't even want to share a college dorm room with her sister anymore. For the first time, Cath will be on her own, in a strange place, forced to deal with her social anxieties and the world at large. Not even the boy mage Simon Snow has faced a task this daunting...

This isn't strictly genre, but the fanac angle (and the fact that Rowell is now writing Simon Snow stories, based off the fictional fantasy franchise invented for this book) makes for crossover appeal. Rowell writes one of the best, most nuanced takes on fandom that I've seen lately. For once, fans aren't just shallow immature fools, worthy of nothing but scorn or pity. The author clearly gets it; she's either been there herself or she did her due diligence and researched the heck out of fandom to get it right. Fandom can be a crutch to Cath, but it's also a tool that helps her cope, an integral part of her development and something that still finds use as she faces new chapters in her life. I was absorbed from start to finish - a rare level of absorption given that this isn't actually a genre book - and loved the flawed characters and their relationships... and, yes, I enjoyed what we readers were shown of Simon Snow, both the "canon" and the fanfic excerpts. (And I'm not really a slashfic person, even...)

Currently Reading SF/F:
Rosemary and Rue (Book 1 of the October Daye series, Seanan McGuire, fantasy, Kindle): Changeling half-fae October Daye was a private investigator working a case for her liege in San Francisco... a case that went wrong when the faerie she was tracking turned her into a fish. Fourteen years later, she escaped the spell - but her life, her marriage, her family had long since moved on without her. She wanted to turn her back on everything, especially the faeries and their cruel games... until one of her last remaining fae friends is murdered, and with her last call binds her to find the murderer.

So far, this is a decent urban fantasy, even if Toby Daye can be somewhat abrasive as a protagonist. I'm enjoying it.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I recently had to take a road trip - it's too late in the season to take my motorcycle, so I drove the car instead. To make the long ride bearable I purchased 2 audio books:
Winter World by A.G. Riddle
Solar War by A.G. Riddle

Those books were interesting, but I couldn't stand the FMC. She was the commander of the ISS, highly educated, and experienced - and yet she talked and acted like a high school girl.

Now I'm reading Recursion by Blake Crouch, and I'm enjoying it. Interesting story, and much better characters.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley: I read this one because I'm interested in querying the agent who reps her. The first half of the book was a rambling imitation of mil SF like Starship Troopers and Forever War. But the characters all seemed shallow to me and the training didn't ring true. I only started getting interested when the MC started to understand the jumbled timeline she experienced. Even then, I was only engaged by the intellectual puzzle of it. As a collection of tropes, the book was fine. Its many discontinuities and narrow POV made it near impossible for me to bond with any characters, including the MC. Dietz is incredibly passive until the last 20% of the book. The book ends with a sermon excoriating the simplistically rendered corporate villains. They've been constructed as such easy targets that I think Bernie Sanders was a ghost writer for the book. There's even an Ayn Rand shout-out, which I thought was pretty funny because it suggests the author takes her works seriously enough to mock them. Corporate dystopia has also been a mainstay of spec fiction, but Hurley's version operates on much different principles than corporate entities do today.

Can anyone say how Light Brigade compares to the other books Hurley is known for? I may read some of her early stuff if this was just a case of an up and coming writer being allowed some leeway after some great moneymaking books.