The Rejection Game! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I had an idea for a new game. . .turn the compliment in the message above yours into a rejection.

For example:

Thank you for submitting your manuscript. I loved every word of it!

The rejection to follow could be:

Unfortunately, with the market and all, I can't represent any more works by authors I love.

So, who's next? Turn this into a rejection:

Your story is hot and the characters aren't just three-dimensional, they're five-dimensional.

(Post your rejection and then a new compliment for the next poster. :) )

Last edited:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Your story is hot and the characters aren't just three-dimensional, they're five-dimensional.

But sadly your plot failed to enthrall me. I'm afraid there were just too many cliches. Thank you for thinking of me!

Your hook is fresh and will interest many readers across the UK market.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as an American agent, it's not a market I feel I'd be able to reach properly. Cheerio!

You have the best prose I've read in the past ten years.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
It's so unfair that no one wants to read brilliant prose these days.

I laughed, I cried, I stayed up till 4 AM to finish reading it.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
I laughed, I cried, I stayed up till 4 AM to finish reading it.

Unfortunately many people are already sleep-deprived enough without your novel adding to their problems. I'm looking for books that can put people to sleep.

Your dialogue pops off the page and your voice is the most original one I've ever come across.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that unless you're Stephen King, pop-up books for adults are not a big seller. While I applaud your originality, next time please refer to our submission requirements and follow the manuscript formatting guidelines.

I have always wanted to find a novel about vampire elves and their epic battle with the unicorns.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
But given the current market conditions and the number of authors growing increasingly desperate for an original story, I'm afraid I can't take a chance that someone else's vampire Pygmy and Pegasus novel will beat us to publication.

I was hooked from the very first word, and sad to turn the final page.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Loved the writing, loved the plot...Loved the book.

Unfortunately, I don't like you

:D

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I have always wanted to find a novel about vampire elves and their epic battle with the unicorns.

Now I've found two! Being second is great at the Olympics. For you, not so much. My client's book Vampire Elves and Their Epic Battle with the Unicorns is being released tomorrow. Three book deal at auction, seven figure advance. It was sweet!

Your book is the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I was hooked from the very first word, and sad to turn the final page.

(Oops - was thinking too long on the last one :) )

Sad because I will be retiring from the agency tomorrow and no one else there likes your book but me (don't bother querying them -- save the stamps!)

Your book is the best thing since sliced bread.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say I have a recently-diagnosed gluten intolerance. I wish you all the best in your search for the agent who can champion your work without fear of anaphylaxis.

You have nailed the voice of a monk-turned-male-prostitute-turned-schoolteacher and his touching relationship with his students so well I went through four boxes of Kleenex last night.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
You have nailed the voice of a monk-turned-male-prostitute-turned-schoolteacher and his touching relationship with his students so well I went through four boxes of Kleenex last night.

Unfortunately, the lack of attention spent on the other characters in your ms made me go through eight boxes of Kleenex.

But I'm sure another agent will feel differently.

Your book was so enthralling, it made me miss my bus stop and I was stuck on the bus's achingly long tour around the city. Thank goodness I had your book!

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
The bus tipped over and I used it to keep the window propped open. Your book saved lives! Even though it might never be published! You must be aware that it's between genres and that makes it a tough sell. But please do send me your next project. You've certainly got potential.

Your book is one of those rare works I wish I had written myself.

Last edited:

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
It's just like having a thorn in your hand while riding a motorbike. Exhilarating, but the pain spoils the ride. Please note for future submissions: I hate puns.

This book practically turns its own pages!

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
This book practically turns its own pages![/QUOTE]

This book was so riveting that the turning pages created a breeze which made the characters dance right out of the pages. It was the most scintillating performance. But while I liked the pages, I did not fall in love with it as much as I had hoped.

I fell hopelessly in love with the characters of your book and knew instantly that the creator was a master story-teller.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
But sadly, telling a story and writing a story are distinctly different skills. May I suggest Franklin Buckapage's Editing Services where the semicolons place themselves and the kickbacks are all mine. I'll certainly be bringing my kids to your story hour at the library, though, and best of luck submitting the novel elsewhere.

I was so excited when I finished reading your story I just had to write to you right away!

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was so excited when I finished reading your story I just had to write to you right away!

I've truly never seen writing this execrable before. It's amazing! You did it on purpose, didn't you? Still, it's the kind of gimmick that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. Stick to the day job.

I finished reading your manuscript yesterday and instantly sent it to my ten best friends.

Saba

Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading your manuscript yesterday and instantly sent it to my ten best friends.

Unfortunately they have now become my ten worst enemies. Most sent back the ms torn to shreds. The rest have sent me angry e-mails demanding I never send them anything to read ever again.

Your story was so suspenseful I stayed up all night just to finish it.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your story was so suspenseful I stayed up all night just to finish it.

Unfortunately, the ending was so disappointing that I flew into a very tired rage and blacklisted you with all my colleagues.

Your novel displays a truly gifted application of the English language.

kuatolives

Gonzo Journalist
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately I chase my own industry like an ice cream man chases his own truck.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the ending was so disappointing that I flew into a very tired rage and blacklisted you with all my colleagues.

Your novel displays a truly gifted application of the English language.

Unfortunately we're looking for something in wingdings.

This is the best wingding book ever written!

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Unfortunately we're looking for something in wingdings.

This is the best wingding book ever written!

Unfortunately, it uses quite a few :)'s, and :)'s just aren't selling right now.

This manuscript has some of the most unique and interesting characters I have ever encountered in fiction.

Last edited:

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it uses quite a few :)'s, and :)'s just aren't selling right now.

This manuscript has some of the most unique and interesting characters I have ever encountered in fiction.

But I'm afraid a prostitute that fights crime during the day just won't sell to Middle Grade readers.

I adore your writing abilities. Never have I seen a more beautifully laid out opening.

ArcadiaDarrell

tromping down the yellow brick road
Registered
Reaction score
...unless it had been written by someone who has actually been published.

I was captivated by your unique voice and delighted by the surprising take you had on modern romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.