What's the most interesting character introduction you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindness

Back From My Self-Imposed Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boyvsworld.blogspot.com
I was sitting around thinking and I realized that I'm stuck because I want to portray a character exactly how I see them in my head. I realized how crucial character introductions are. Normally, any description that comes after the introduction simply modifies the initial image -- well for me, anyway.

I remember reading books where the description of a character makes me picture, say, a burly fighter, and then I read that he's actually quite skinny later in the book. While this will register, my mind will always go back to picturing what I originally thought the character looked like XD

So anyway, that got me thinking, what's the most interesting character introduction you've ever read?

Mine would be Iorek Byrnison from Northern Lights. :D I guess it must be because he's a drinking bear, and I'd never seen anything like it before.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I'm going to be an ass, but I'm a huge fan of...

Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know. I got a telegram from the home: ''Mother deceased. Funeral tomorrow. Faithfully yours.'' That doesn't mean anything. Maybe it was yesterday.

Mersault, The Stranger (by Camus)

ETA: I don't care what a character looks like, but who they are. That paragraph told me a shitton about him, very quickly, effectively, and subtly. I really like it.

Last edited:

Oberon89

The Druid you're looking for
Registered
Reaction score
Chapter 1 of Snow Crash. Hiro Protagonist, the Deliverator. Awesome.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Ah, I suppose :) Still, it plays a large role in the way I view that character and how much I like them. ><

See, the thing is, an introduction that goes on about hair like honeyed mead spilling over alabaster shoulders and eyes cut from sapphire gleaming under thick lashes... doesn't tell me a damn thing about the person. S/he could be evil, good, rich, poor, weak, strong, etc. If you're going to go on and on about physical traits, they better be important.

A reason I like the intro I cited so much is because not only do we learn about the character, but the sentences progress the story too. That paragraph is really pulling its weight. (Note that it's also the opening of the book.)

Appearance doesn't sway me in books. In movies and IRL sure, I'm shallow, I won't lie. But in all things, if beauty turns my head, once it has my attention it better be worth my time.

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
Chapter 1 of Snow Crash. Hiro Protagonist, the Deliverator. Awesome.

Seconded. He's got esprit up to here. Also one of my favourite character names. I can just about see the wheels turning as Stephenson was thinking of that one.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Dempsey. The most memorable characters are those without shining black hair, creased faces or chiseled features, or sensitive hands, or hulking forms or any of the other cliche` descriptors.

The most memorable characters are those whose actions compell me to keep reading.

Alex Bravo

Registered
Reaction score
Captian Inish Scull

"Look at him. His damn beard's nothing but a sheet of brown ice, but the fool keeps spitting tobacco juice right into this wind."

From Comanche Moon, Larry McMurtry

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
The prologue in BLACK SUN RISING by C.S. Freidman. Blew my mind that it started out with a man vivisecting his wife and kids (no joke). Not described in detail, but... wow.

Miss T

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in love with how Susanna Clarke introduces each character in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by a brief sketch. It's always just enough, and it's so perfect.

ColoradoMom

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.the-simple-homeschool.com
Wokken Furies by Richard K. Morgan. I have to admit - he got me. I didn't really realize he was talking past tense until the end of the prologue and by that time I was already bowing to the master for being so brilliant.

"Maybe it went something like that.
Then again, maybe not. I'm inferring from suspicion and fragmented knowledge after the event. Building it up from what I can guess, using Envoy intuition to fill in the gaps. But I could be completely wrong.
I wouldn't know.
I wasn't there.
And I never saw his face when they told him where I was. Told him that I was, and what he'd have to do about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.