How much should I communicate with my agent?

Molko

Registered
Reaction score
My agent mostly communicates with me through email. She sends me updates and sometimes forwards individual responses from publishers, which have so far been rejections. These rejections are simple and no more than one line long. I don’t know if I should reply to those. I don’t want my agent to think I’m ignoring her or don’t appreciate the forwards, but I really don’t know what to say. But if I don’t acknowledge that I’ve received her email then there is no communication from my end.

I actually responded to an email saying something like “I can’t wait to hear more” and I cringe just thinking about it. It’s too short and tacky but I wanted her to know that I’m reading her emails. So, how much am I suppose to communicate with an agent? Does she expect me to reply to every forward? I don’t want to be rude but I don’t know how to reply when my agent forwards me an email from a publisher that says no more than “thanks but we’ll pass.”

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My agent mostly communicates with me through email. She sends me updates and sometimes forwards individual responses from publishers, which have so far been rejections. These rejections are simple and no more than one line long. I don’t know if I should reply to those. I don’t want my agent to think I’m ignoring her or don’t appreciate the forwards, but I really don’t know what to say. But if I don’t acknowledge that I’ve received her email then there is no communication from my end.

I actually responded to an email saying something like “I can’t wait to hear more” and I cringe just thinking about it. It’s too short and tacky but I wanted her to know that I’m reading her emails. So, how much am I suppose to communicate with an agent? Does she expect me to reply to every forward? I don’t want to be rude but I don’t know how to reply when my agent forwards me an email from a publisher that says no more than “thanks but we’ll pass.”

There's no right or wrong answer here. My agent and I did talk about how much communication we both like and what kinds of information we want and when.

And, honestly, I think this is a conversation you should eventually have with your agent, when you know what you do want to say.

If you are fine with her level of communication, and don't really feel there is anything substantive you want to say, then you can even make it a natural comment. After one of her updates, just send her a brief email saying thanks for the update. I don't always respond, but I appreciate the updates.

Now, if you are not happy with her level of communication, and want something more, you should address that with her as well.

But my advice is not to worry about what every one else does. Communicate with your agent in the way the two of you agree works for you.

~suki

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
And I would also add, if you feel compelled to respond but you don't know what to say (because the forwards are so short), then how about saying something like: "Thank you so much for keeping me updated!" and letting it go at that. This way she knows you got her email, but it doesn't require additional response from her. It's positive, and simple. Nothing wrong with that.

Molko

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses! I am happy with her level of communication - I am unhappy with mine :) This is just a whole new experience for me. But I see things clearer now. Thank you!

Mom

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't tend to reply to forwards, unless... (a) the sender has written something in addition to the forward or (b) there is something in the forward that I feel an urge to comment on.

Maybe you could make an effort to check in via e-mail every other Tuesday (or whatever day). You can just say 'hi', comment on her submission efforts, let her know of the status of your current projects, ask any questions that have come up in the last two weeks, and just let you know that you are readily available if anything is needed.

I know having a "scheduled" communication can feel a bit forced... but I've found in situation similar to yours that it is a great way to ensure that I'm doing my part to maintain communications. You don't have to tell you agent "this is my biweekly e-mail" - just send it. :) As you start communicating with her more regularly like this, it'll begin to feel more natural and comfortable. You may even find that you can drop the biweekly tradition and just e-mail as you feel compelled to do so. Your relationship with your agent will likely evolve, and so will your communications... you're just in that awkward early stages of the relationship. ;)

Just my two cents...

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Thank you for your responses! I am happy with her level of communication - I am unhappy with mine :) This is just a whole new experience for me. But I see things clearer now. Thank you!

In a world filled with spam filters and junk folders, a quick "Got it, thanks!" may be in order. I try to always say thank you when someone does something for me, even if it's small and contains not so great news.

Good luck!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Something quick and simple, like : "Thanks for keeping me in in the loop. It's greatly appreciated."

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I always respond -- sometimes just "Thanks for letting me know," sometimes a comment. Don't overthink it, Molko! She's someone you KNOW. Saying thanks or making a joke or admitting you're disappointed is OK.