Man vs Boy

RadioactiveFox

I'm too young to feel this old.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
radioactivefox.blogspot.com
Not sure this is the best place for this question, however --

I've got a modern-day college student as a close third person narrator and when she describes the males her own age I am not really sure whether to refer to them as 'boys' or 'men'.

I know this is a bit nit-picky, but, hey, I'm interested.

Opinions? Advice?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure this is the best place for this question, however --

I've got a modern-day college student as a close third person narrator and when she describes the males her own age I am not really sure whether to refer to them as 'boys' or 'men'.

I know this is a bit nit-picky, but, hey, I'm interested.

Opinions? Advice?

IME, once women get to late teens/first few years of college, boy is gone for peers, except when being cutesy.

So I think she'd call them guys, or some other generic term.

Unless she was sexually attracted to them, and thinks of herself as a woman, and then she'd call them men.

Hope that helps.

~suki

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter is in her mid-twenties and a grad student. Since about 7th grade, the word "boys" has applied only to children, not adolescents or adults. (Although now that she's a grown woman, she might refer to a male in early adolescence as a boy.) The word she uses for males in the age range she would consider dating is "guys." Those too old to date or consider in a romantic sense are either "men" or "old guys."

Maryn, whose daughter is still a "girl" (Isn't language funny?)

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in my early twenties and get called boy, guy, man, and--sometimes--ass. It really depends on how I'm acting and my relationship with the other person.

I think the word "man", when spoken by a girl my age, generally has either a commitment connotation, or a professional one; "boy" has a more playful feel and might be used in a friendship--interchangeable with "guy"--or is used when flirting. It really depends on the character and her relationship to the spoken subjects. I personally wouldn't stumble over a line of dialogue that used "boy" when referring to her male counterparts. I hear it a lot.

Then again, I still act like a fifth grader sometimes. :D

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I think it's culturally loaded and value laden. In that age if you wish to emasculate a man, call him a boy. If you want a boy to feel bigger than he is, call him a man. I don't think there's any rule you can use other than how you feel about the situation.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
My mum still calls me a lad, and I'm in my forties.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Also depends what part of the world you're in. In Australia and NZ a twenty-something female might refer to her boyfriend as 'the boy.'

'Spending the night with the boy tonight.'
'Gotta drag the boy out shopping with me this avo.'

But not always.

thePenDragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceyboyce.com
I am a modern-day female college student, and all my male friends (and often female friends) are "guys" to me. I have a roommate who calls her fiancee "my boy." I never hear "men," though. They're just not mature enough for that. ;)

If I'm talking about a guy I'm irritated with, he's just "a kid." Or a jerk, depending on how irritated I am. So yeah, never men.

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, I'd say it depends on what level of maturity she sees them as. If they act juvenile or childish, then I'd probably have her call them "boys". But if they act quite mature, then I'd maybe go with men. Also, if they are a few years older than her, I'd use "men" instead of "boys". But it depends on your character and also your preferences.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I stopped using "boys" for my peers sometime around 6th grade or so. But "men" didn't seem right, either--I used "guys", and still do, most of the time.

Even now that my age places my male peers firmly in "man" territory, I usually don't use that term...it seems overly formal, stilted somehow. I think it's a carry-over from my younger years.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Lol, this is how the radio puts it:

A woman in her sixties has slept with a 19yr old 'boy' (yet a few days later) a 17yr old 'man' had raped a young girl.

I think it just depends how your character sees them.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see "boy" or "girl" as pejorative. It just depends on the situation.

A ten-year-old can be a boy (girl) as much as a forty-year old can be a man (woman).

For me it depends on the situation, and I don't necessarily mean maturity-wise.