"Cracked Up To Be" by Courtney Summers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
*possible spoilers herein*

Really don't know if this is the place for this. If it doesn't fit here, you can kick me wherever it does fit. This book is, however, edgy YA, and if there's one subject everyone seems really clued up about over here, it's edgy YA.

However, I need I committed the big sin for this one: I'm judging it before I've read it. I know, I know. Please don't throw rocks at me just yet.

I was so pumped for it when I read about it. And (another sin...), I read ALL ABOUT IT. Yeah, really not a good idea. But when I can't have something (funds were low at the time *sniffle*), that's what I do. And I came to a slightly disturbing conclusion: I think that Parker is a rape victim. It was probably the comparison to Melinda Sordino that I read in more than one review. However...after that, I felt a little "meh" about the book. Mostly because I'm kind of having abused-girl overload right now. After Laura Wiess, Ellen Hopkins and Laurie Halse Anderson (all of them awesome, which I would assume Summers is, too, but...), I really don't feel like reading yet another novel about a once-together girl who is falling apart because of a rape. I'm aware of how horribly callous that sounds. But I just thought I'd ask over here: am I right? Or is it such a greatly-managed, uniquely-written version of this twist that I should just read it anyway? Or am I so off-base that I should read the novel and throw rocks at myself instead?

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
You should throw rocks at yourself jk, jk. :D

But this is not even what the story is about. CUTB has you guessing throughout the whole book, and all of the guesses that you make are wrong. Just so you know, she wasn't rape.

JUST READ THE BOOK. It's really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.