Art

What is your view of art?

• Total voters

coloneldax

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
How did different artists (painters, musicians) (especially guys like Mozart, Picasso, etc..) feel about the idea of "Art for art's sake" (similar to what Edgar Allen Poe says here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_for_art's_sake#History)

Here is how I feel:
Art does not exist to serve a higher purpose. It is the higher purpose.

How do you feel?

(not sure what the approp. post for this topic is, so I thought I'd post it here)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If art didn't exist, in all its forms and scope, the world we would have created would be the drabbest, most meaningless place in the known universe.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I voted other. It's both. Art doesn't exist to serve a higher purpose, but it can be used for that, just like just about everything else.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That. And the chance to procreate!

You forgot beer.

I've always seen art as a form a communication. It's a way of closing the divide between the people that we are and the people we are perceived as. Did that make any sense at all?

coloneldax

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
You forgot beer.

I've always seen art as a form a communication. It's a way of closing the divide between the people that we are and the people we are perceived as. Did that make any sense at all?

yah makes sense

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I think it serves a multi-purpose. It's there to be aesthetically pleasing as well as entertain and provoke emotion and thought. It's subjective, so we can't help but filter it through ourselves.

I like art that makes me want to climb inside and explore the world beyond the frame, be it a painting or a book.